Welding metal with solder

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Just for interest...
I made a light mount with some steel metal brackets and solder.
Then painted black.
You can use a large head soldering iron or a blowlamp. I used a blowlamp.
A guy building radio controlled planes taught me this. It's a good way to stick metal Vs nuts and bolts. I have a small welder I could use but easier to use solder.

Not the best painting job as I had no spray cans but it's fine for a light mount fixed under rear rack

I'm going to have a light plus I'll stick on a 3 red led strip at the rear of the bike.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Just for interest...
I made a light mount with some steel metal brackets and solder.
Then painted black.
You can use a large head soldering iron or a blowlamp. I used a blowlamp.
A guy building radio controlled planes taught me this. It's a good way to stick metal Vs nuts and bolts. I have a small welder I could use but easier to use solder.

View attachment 53677
Not the best painting job as I had no spray cans but it's fine for a light mount fixed under rear rack
View attachment 53678

I'm going to have a light plus I'll stick on a 3 red led strip at the rear of the bike.
Solder is great for static things, but is not suitable for anything that bounces around, like a bike light bracket. After some time, the solder will crack and fall apart. I'd put a small nut and screw in the middle if you want to use it for a light.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Not the best painting job
Much better than I could do, I detest painting. What about, & do bear in mind I have no idea about what I am talking about, that "weld tight" is it? I assume an epoxy, JB weld etc. I have often considered a small mount for my under seat controller, however to my surprise, even after several short showers with me off the seat it stays dry & the zip tie mounting method using a hole on my seat works really well, in fact the same black 14a sinewave is still working that I purchased in 2018, it must of done about 20'000 miles easy & I couldn't say for sure that it doesn't jiggle about under there with my Suntour NCX.

Related Articles

Advertisers