What am I looking for?

GreySpike

Just Joined
Sep 23, 2021
Hi there,

As we approach our 60's the wife and I are finding the hills on our tandem a little over-demanding, so primarily I'm looking for a hill booster. Starting off on hills is definitely a challenge.

The tandem is our local transport of choice; it gets used to get to get us to church, meet up with friends (when permitted), go shopping, and all the other local journeys. Days trips are maybe 2 or 3 a year. Cycling holidays are on our individual bikes as transporting a tandem by rail is not achievable these days. Bring back the guards van!

The budget doesn't run to the eye-watering amounts for a new tandem from JDTandems or elsewhere, so this is going to be a retro fit to our 2006 Dawes Double Edge.

Currently I'm in the research phase, and very conscious that I probably don't know the correct questions to ask let alone fully understand the answers. Oh, and I have a tendency to over-analyse :).

I'll post specific questions in the appropriate forums.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Probably the best would be a rear hub motor with battery fitted in the frame. Although, with the weight of a tandem, a front hub could be considered though these can result in some scrubbing of the tyre on steep hills, especially if the surface is loose or slimey.
Hub motor should be 250w gearless. I know 250w doesn't sound much but actual power depends on the controller chosen.
Design rpm of the motor will depend on your wheel size. A controller with a max current of 17a will give you a notional 612w at 36v. If you opted for the same at 48v then it would be 816 watts.
Battery design max output should be controller max current plus some (25-50% would be great).
Have a look at Woosh bikes, I know they have helped at least one forum member with a tandem kit.
Here's a start, happy hunting.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester