What makes a good bike to convert?

gpt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 29, 2023
Im still perusing and no where near a decision.

But I am trying to work out, what makes a good bike to convert?

Aside from the obvious practicalities - such as where can the battery fit/cable routing etc. What bikes are best?

Road bikes? Hybrid Bikes? Fewer gears? Weight? Riding position? Frame material? If folding -hinge strength?

Im guessing that someone could spend a lot on a bike and then be pretty wasteful pulling most of it apart to accommodate a conversion kit which is why I am asking the question - Are any bikes particularly suited other than - just the one you already have lying around?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There are a few points worth paying attention to when you select a bike to convert.
- Where does the battery go? The battery is bigger than and weighs more than a house brick, so it's clear you don't want it to get in the way of your eyeline to the road or far from the centre of gravity making the bike wobble. If you go for a downtube battery, does it have a flat area at the top of the downtube for the battery to sit on?
- Is the bottom bracket difficult to remove?
- If you are fitting a bottom bracket motor, hub gear is a very big plus.
- You want disc brake mounts. Your e-bike is going to be faster and heavier.

Reactions: gpt

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I find the following important.
1. Fit. I ride a women's version in of a hybrid, the reason for this is the shorter top tube (I have long legs, short upper body).
2. Mudguard and rack mounts
3. BSA bottom bracket
I had to use a wolf tooth flat plate to get my downtube battery to fit, my bottle cage bolts are not in the centre of the downtube, more towards the bottom bracket.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
You don't say what you will be using the bike for.

Commuting and/or shopping trips on tarmac roads?
Serious off-road riding?
Light off-road, tow-path bimbling etc?

gpt

Jan 29, 2023
You don't say what you will be using the bike for.

Commuting and/or shopping trips on tarmac roads?
Serious off-road riding?
Light off-road, tow-path bimbling etc?
What im currently looking at is a bike I can put the BBS01ET conversion kit on as this seems to be one of the most powerful/legal kits. The bike is for commuting (primarily) and maybe leisure if i find i enjoy it - but mainly its about getting from A to B comfortably and effortlessly (shift work and cycling at 4am is not fun!).

Initially I had a look for a road bike - not realising this meant a tour de france bike (it is sarcasm). I dont need a mtb as I will be using roads/cycle paths. Hybrids seem to be setup between the two. Then there seems to be this rare urban/commuter category that applies to everything to aid selling.

So I found myself browsing and wondering what would make the ideal bike for a conversion whilst looking for guides on doing the work and what parts/equipment I need

Ideally I would find a company that sells both bikes & conversion kits and would do the work under a cycle to work scheme - but this in itself seems another tricky proposition (I expect for some legal reasons (bike manufacturing?) that I dont fully understand.

gpt

Jan 29, 2023
I find the following important.
1. Fit. I ride a women's version in of a hybrid, the reason for this is the shorter top tube (I have long legs, short upper body).
2. Mudguard and rack mounts
3. BSA bottom bracket
I had to use a wolf tooth flat plate to get my downtube battery to fit, my bottle cage bolts are not in the centre of the downtube, more towards the bottom bracket.
its surprising how many upright bikes are called womens bikes! yet dutch bikes are for everyone. Not quite sure where the gender assignment comes into bikes but maybe it is my untrained eye

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Women generally have long legs and short bodies, men the opposite. Women's bikes have a shorter top tube to cater for this.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
If you don't already own a bike, then why buy a bike plus a conversion kit?

Why not just buy a ready made hybrid electric bike?

If you must have a crank-drive bike, there are plenty to choose from, like here for example:

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/electric-bikes/crank-driven/

Alternatively, if you want a conversion kit you could do a lot worse than this:

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit

Woosh also do Cycle to Work schemes, I believe.

Then you would need to buy a Hybrid donor bike and fit it yourself or arrange to have that done for you.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • First and foremost, the bike has to be comfortable for you.
  • Bike geometry is a very individual thing and if you've not ridden before, there's a very good chance that you'll think you know what will be comfortable but after a few weeks/months of riding, you'll not be so sure.
  • Given this last point, unless you're absolute, and really really really sure that a particular bike is for you, and unless you have pots of money, avoid buying a new ebike/bike for conversion as there's every chance you'll not be happy with your first or even second bike
  • Brakes - the modern choice is to go for disc brakes it seems but I've found good quality V brakes more than adequate. Cantilever or Dual Pivot brakes are less effective but some find them adequate - depends on your hand grip and riding style.

Reactions: Zlatan

gpt

Jan 29, 2023
If you don't already own a bike, then why buy a bike plus a conversion kit?

Why not just buy a ready made hybrid electric bike?

If you must have a crank-drive bike, there are plenty to choose from, like here for example:

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/electric-bikes/crank-driven/

Alternatively, if you want a conversion kit you could do a lot worse than this:

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit

Woosh also do Cycle to Work schemes, I believe.

Then you would need to buy a Hybrid donor bike and fit it yourself or arrange to have that done for you.
Yeah ive been in touch with Woosh. I did have a look at the bikes but I decided I wanted a stronger motor and the extra torque bafang motor was suggested which I am likely going to go with - on the cycle to work scheme as you suggested

I think Ive settled on a bike so Im going to start a new thread shortly to get input on additional items and document the conversion I think

Reactions: Bikes4two

gpt

Jan 29, 2023
  • First and foremost, the bike has to be comfortable for you.
  • Bike geometry is a very individual thing and if you've not ridden before, there's a very good chance that you'll think you know what will be comfortable but after a few weeks/months of riding, you'll not be so sure.
  • Given this last point, unless you're absolute, and really really really sure that a particular bike is for you, and unless you have pots of money, avoid buying a new ebike/bike for conversion as there's every chance you'll not be happy with your first or even second bike
  • Brakes - the modern choice is to go for disc brakes it seems but I've found good quality V brakes more than adequate. Cantilever or Dual Pivot brakes are less effective but some find them adequate - depends on your hand grip and riding style.
Your absolutely right and I appreciate the input. I think ive settled on one particular limiting factor - and that is I want a folding bike to be able to keep the bike indoors. I did have a big look at the comfort and seating position - possibly preferring the dutch bike stance or "cruiser style" handle bars - but as i stated, the desire to stick with folding has decided my bike. So... Im going to get everything for this particular bike and hope the rest works out. Worst comes to worst I can always transfer the conversion kit to another bike

Reactions: Bikes4two

Eltommos

Jan 8, 2023
I've converted 3 bikes to date and my latest - Boardman Pro 29er - Basic bike weights only 13kg (shown in attached photos)
Bike can carry 2 batteries (1 on the downtube and the other on a rear panier rack) Total 1080wh (36v x 2 x 15ah batteries)
I've recently fitted a motor cover / splash guard as shown
Before purchasing the Boardman - I called into Halfords with a side profile of the battery to ensure it would fit in the triangle.
I had to grind some metal off the bike frame around the bottom bracket to ensure the Bafang motor fitted correctly. Halfords fitted a bottom bracket insert to suit the motor shaft diameter / BSA size
I ride the bike mainly on forest tracks

Attachments

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Ask the dimensions of the battery from the seller and cut out a cardboard template, take this with you when buying bike so the battery fits in the frame. Also try and work out if you need to add an extra mounting plate as this will add extra height. I use this one.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
I came from a Kalkhoff pre-made bike which I still own (and still think it's a great bike) but last year I had the itch to do the same as you and finished fitting the BBS01 kit to a Boardman Hybrid bike I bought used for a couple of hundred quid. I absolutely love it although the throttle and a slight software re-tune takes it away from being fully legal, I don't mind bending the rules slightly and consider myself to be a very sensible cyclist anyway.

You can have a look here if you're interested.