What the budget did for Cyclists...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Perhaps I should take up drinking again, after an absence of 9 years; I might gain some Insight.

A
I don't drink alcohol. :p

There are contentious aspects to the subject Allen, and I haven't the time to spell it out in full, or the inclination to engage in argument about it.

Clue: Instead of the fixations with what is being taught and what is being tested, how the teaching is carried out and the psychological effects of that on future behaviour should be considered.

Tests have such limited value that they should be the last thing considered. We've had many changes to the test and self-evidently they've made little or no difference.

Last edited:

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
My eldest daughter has been having driving lessons recently (BSM). One of the tricks the instructor taught her is to drive over the white line at junctions, stopping when the white line is level with your wing mirrors.

I would hope that examiners would fail some one for such a manoeuvre. It certainly scares me when I cycle past a side road and a car overshoots the white line like that.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Well this is interesting, I trained to be a driving instructor and would like to hear more about this insight you have Flecc as I'm struggling to understand where you're coming from....

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
I'm glad you refused to be drawn (much) further on what is bound to be a contentious subject Flecc, because it has no business on here. Maybe in The Charging Post....

Rog.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Well this is interesting, I trained to be a driving instructor and would like to hear more about this insight you have Flecc as I'm struggling to understand where you're coming from....
I'm thankful that you too are puzzled, NRG; I was beginning to think I was going barmy (alright, barmier).

Maybe the words of Donald Rumsfeld would help us here:

There are known knowns; there are things we know flecc knows.

We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things flecc does not know.

But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones flecc doesn't know he doesn't know.

Now, I do know (yea, me an' all) that Rumsfeld said something slightly different, but I'm sure if he'd been HERE that is what he WOULD have said...

Allen.:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm glad you refused to be drawn (much) further on what is bound to be a contentious subject Flecc, because it has no business on here. Maybe in The Charging Post....

Rog.
Exactly Rog, contentious and has no business here.

It's one of those things that needs to be explained completely with the 36 year history of outcomes, or explanation not attempted at all, and I don't want to get involved in writing the book or the argument.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Exactly Rog, contentious and has no business here.

It's one of those things that needs to be explained completely with the 36 year history of outcomes, or explanation not attempted at all, and I don't want to get involved in writing the book or the argument.
You'd certainly get an argument, and I expect as usual it might degenerate into something less dignified and more personal.....!

Rog.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
You'd certainly get an argument, and I expect as usual it might degenerate into something less dignified and more personal.....!

Rog.
Quite right Rog. We're just going to have to accept that this is all Part of Life's Great Mystery, revealed only to The Few, while the rest of us sit in the cave watching the shadows on the wall.

A.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
To stick with the original post, it did nothing for and nothing against.

I was expecting a wheel tax, levied annually as a product of wheel diameter along the lines of a window tax.

Or a breath tax, where the cyclists CO2 exhalation is measured by a government official riding on the crossbar, on a sliding scale as it rises with effort.

I'm with Dorothy Parker's remark on why she quite liked president Calvin Coolidge, from a cyclists point of view, I quite like George Osborne because he has no ideas and is not a nuisance :)

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I quite like George Osborne because he has no ideas and is not a nuisance :)
Quite agree that he has no ideas, Lemmy. Not sure about the nuisance, though.

A

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
He was fine running the Eton Tuck Shop... I bet...