Where to purcharse a folding light and fast bike in the UK?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Those Whisper folders sure look nice especially the Alpino with its rear hub gear.

However that is not far off the price of an EBrompton conversion which IMO provides more portability.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Jerry

Thanks for your kind words!

I absolutely agree with you, most electric folders are not built for lugging off and on the train, they are built more for ease of stowage or storage and are nice bikes for those who like a smaller frame and 20" wheels.

All the best

David

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Trex,

I reviewed the seller evaluation and there are multiples review online about this bike. It seems that people that purchased this bike are quite happy.
Here is what they say about their battery:
"The technical name is Magnesium Phosphate strip cell soft pack Lithium Ion. This is a big leap forward because it holds 55% more usable power per pound (very low safety shut off) than common Li-on batteries. It also does not heat up while charging or using. BYI softpack Super Li-ion can last 300-400% longer than other Li-on types and this allows us to give a 3 year 2000 charge FULL"
View source

------------------------------------------------

Hello David,

Thanks for the proposition, but for now I think I'll either purchase a truly foldable bike for more than £1000 (Brompton), or purchase a compromise but for less than £1000.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
cwah, that quote from the supplier seems to be a little OTT.
The patent for LiMgFePO4 holder is Valence Technology, an excellent firm without a doubt, made lots of money selling their batteries to Segway. Unlike Busettii, they still use the generic term Lithium Phosphate for their batteries and don't claim that their batteries are any better than LiFePO4. Their inherent advantage is practically stopping thermal runaway when the battery is physically damaged.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks cwah, it is fantastic that the industry at last is offering such a wide range of bikes now, it is superb customers are getting such a wide choice! This can only benefit the industry.

I hope all goes well!

All the best

David

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Not the lightest, but... Good for all other parts:

Foldable
21 KG
27 MPH!!!!
52 Miles MAX
£900
3 years warranty
There is a video of it on youtube as shown below. The folding bike version can be seen after approx 30 seconds into the clip with a lady riding it and it being put into a boot of a car. They must be confident about the battery as they are offering a 3 year warranty on it!

[video=youtube;da6Hm76xao0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da6Hm76xao0[/video]

If the specs of the bike are correct then the bike weight without battery is 14.3kgs which is not bad. The problem with all folders, is you really need to ride them first to see how well they ride. Some are really terrible!

Regards

Jerry

Last edited: