which bike to go for?

skint

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 27, 2014
After much consideration and based on forum's reviews

I've narrowed it down to final 2 bikes... KTM e cross, and Oxegen MTB

KTM quality components used, build quality and brand heritage

Oxegen, cheaper price (£1700), has throttle.

Ideally I should try the bikes out, Bikeshed's location is poor IMO, nowhere to test the bike's uphill capability, it means I would have to bring the bike down to Manchester, and return it again, although they are interested in taking my virtual brand new Canondale in px, it might just swing their way.(if anyone interested I sell my Badboy for £400)

Oxegen, even further to travel, and the frame is 47cm, not sure if its too small for me? I'm 5"11, but Jon was extremely accommodating, he said he would meet me anytime any day including Sunday.Talk about enthusiasm .

Hmmm.. decisions decisons??!!

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Oxygen does the job, the KTM doesn't because it can't have a throttle.
But if you went for the Oxygen for the 8Fun CST motor and a throttle, then you should also include other bikes with CST/BPM because nearly all of them have throttle like the Volt Pulse X and the better priced Kudos Arriba.
5ft11? I'd say you need a 50cm frame and 26" wheels.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
If you can stretch to buying the KTM I'd buy it, worth paying a little extra for what is a better quality bike IMO.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
what's the highest assist level on the KTM?

Typically, on Bosch bikes, you have these levels:
eco: 50%
tour: 110%
sport: 170%
turbo: 250%

Assume you want to climb a 10% hill at 10 mph and you weigh 125kgs.

Power required if using throttle: 450W

You need leg power to be:
eco: 300W (forget that)
tour: 214W (forget that too)
sport: 167W (forget that too)
turbo: 128W

The only sensible choice is turbo mode.
If you are unfit, it's still very hard to produce this kind of effort.
I think Chinese bikes are better for the unfit, up to 900% assist with the J-LCD at level 5.

skint

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 27, 2014

I think Chinese bikes are better for the unfit, up to 900% assist with the J-LCD at level 5.

Hi trex, the KTM is pansonic powered, what would the percentage be in terms of power?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that's up to the guys at KTM to program the controller. I think they follow the same levels as with their Bosch bikes, 50%, 110%, 170% and 250%.
The J-LCD is programmed for much higher assist level, 200% on level 1 to 900% on level 5, requiring much less input from the riders on pedal assist.
Of course if you use the throttle, the ratio is infinite.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you can stretch to buying the KTM I'd buy it, worth paying a little extra for what is a better quality bike IMO.
There's lots of different KTMs with different prices. Which one are you comparing with the Oxygen to say that it's better quality? Which bits do you think are better? Have you seen or tried the Oxygen?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Which one are you comparing with the Oxygen to say that it's better quality?
I'll leave it for those more interested to do comparisons on the individual parts on each bike. Perhaps it's just perceived quality I see, but for me I'd pay the extra.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
After much consideration and based on forum's reviews

KTM quality components used, build quality and brand heritage

Oxegen, cheaper price (£1700), has throttle.

Ideally I should try the bikes out, Bikeshed's location is poor IMO, nowhere to test the bike's uphill capability, it means I would have to bring the bike down to Manchester, and return it again, although they are interested in taking my virtual brand new Canondale in px, it might just swing their way.(if anyone interested I sell my Badboy for £400)

Oxegen, even further to travel, and the frame is 47cm, not sure if its too small for me? I'm 5"11, but Jon was extremely accommodating, he said he would meet me anytime any day including Sunday.Talk about enthusiasm .

Hmmm.. decisions decisons??!!
Skint....I normally don't get involved if a customer has decided on his choice,another option is a distraction. But if you are considering both those bikes my Kudos Typhoon at £1195.00 is a well proven option on this forum.
It has a similar bike spec to the Oxygen MTB
I also sell the KTM Panasonic out of our London Shop,it is a very powerful bike for climbing hills,similar performance to the Kudos Typhoon 29er. The KTM styling is very good as you would expect,it is twice the price of the Kudos.
Your height is perfect for the 29er frame and it has a speed sensor for instant power up hills.
KudosDave

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I also sell the KTM Panasonic out of our London Shop,it is a very powerful bike for climbing hills,similar performance to the Kudos Typhoon 29er
Except that the panasonic's 48 volt: Doesn't that give it significantly better performance?