Which bike?

geezee74

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2011
Hi, I am looking to buy an electric bike that has a 'twist throttle', with the cycle not necessarily needing rider assistance. If you could recommend any suitable mountain bikes, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers, Zack

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi, I am looking to buy an electric bike that has a 'twist throttle', with the cycle not necessarily needing rider assistance. If you could recommend any suitable mountain bikes, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers, Zack
Zack, You have to make it easy for us. Finding the right bike isn't too difficult if you know what you want. Here's some questions to answer that will help us to help you choose:
How fit are you?
How much do you weigh/
how fast do you want to go?
How far do you want to go?
Where do you live?
Do you expect your rides to be hilly?
how much do you want to spend?
can you do your own maintenance/repairs?

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com

Cheers, Zack
Try as many as you can - if the shop won't let you have a trial ride walk away. As has been pointed out, age/health/depth of pocket/intended use all are involved with a wise choice!
Good luck, welcome and let us know your decision!
Tom

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
All Juicy Bikes have twist throttles, bags of loveliness and benefit from a discount to Pedelecs members during January.

geezee74

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2011

Cheers, Zack
Hi, sorry for lack of info; I am 6ft 13 st, and my fitness levels are pretty low as I have M.E. which affects my ability to exercise. I would like a mountain bike style that looks like a mountain bike not a 'lash up'. The roads around my area are pretty hilly and I would like to go as far as possible and sometimes as fast as possible. I understand that the legal limit is 15mph but if possible, I would like to go a little faster. (I am not too sure what a realistic distance is)
I wanted to spend around £900 but less if possible.

Thank you everyone for your help and I would very much like your further input.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi, sorry for lack of info; I am 6ft 13 st, and my fitness levels are pretty low as I have M.E. which affects my ability to exercise. I would like a mountain bike style that looks like a mountain bike not a 'lash up'. The roads around my area are pretty hilly and I would like to go as far as possible and sometimes as fast as possible. I understand that the legal limit is 15mph but if possible, I would like to go a little faster. (I am not too sure what a realistic distance is)
I wanted to spend around £900 but less if possible.

Thank you everyone for your help and I would very much like your further input.
That's useful information that narrows down your choice a lot. If your fitness is low and it's hilly, you need a bike that can climb well, although at only 13 stone, it's not as clear-cut as it would be for heavy-weights. I would normally recommend the new Kudos Tornado, but it has an 18" frame, which might not be big enough for you. I think they give a reasonable discount to forum members.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/12993-kudos-2013-performance-ebike-details.html

stesteste

Pedelecer
May 2, 2012
bradford
you could look at the alien aurora very good motor for those hills and a 21 inch frame in my opinion the gears and speed is perfect but its 350 watt motor same size as 250

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

D

Deleted member 4366

you could look at the alien aurora very good motor for those hills and a 21 inch frame in my opinion the gears and speed is perfect but its 350 watt motor same size as 250

Yes, I forgot about that one £999 last time I looked - nice big frame and powerful motor. It's the same motor as in the Kudos Tornado, except the Kudos one has their TOPS system that got them a EN15194 certificate that makes it legal.The TOPS allows it to give high torque at low revs for hill-climbing, but then cuts it back as rpm increases, so that it complies with peak power requirements. Nobody has reviewed it yet so I can't say for certain how well it works, but I think they copied the BH Emotion Neo, which has amazing power.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi My new baby Kit is exactly what you need BUT NOT cheap

Commuter Baby

That for a kit £995

Or complete Bike £1695

Commuter Baby

you can try all the 36 volt bikes BUT our 48 volt kit will climb hills like a mountain Goat we can fit a 22MPH controller at the same price BUT no longer Road Legal

Thanks Frank

stesteste

Pedelecer
May 2, 2012
bradford
frank do you have 22amp controller what will fit my alien aurora with everything working thx

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton

Cheers, Zack

I recommend you have a look at the Kudos sport, it is at the lower end of your budget but i think it will suit most of your requirements. I have been a proud owner of the Kudos sport for over 9 months and have been pleased with its general performance both electrically, and general build, it is slightly under- geared, and brakes could be better, but it is a good ride. There are reviews on site on this model.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire

Cheers, Zack
I hope you get time to look at our electric bikes which all have a great range of options and upgrades so you can choose to exactly match your budget and make sure you only buy what you need.