Which electric cargo trike? Which are most reliable?

Esmith

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 2, 2017
Uk
Well I've had a good 15 years use of my bike, converted to a trike, converted to an etrike with a Henizmann hub retrofit and a series of dog trailers. Thanks to brexit my supply of cheap trailers is no more and it is costing me £200 + for each one which lasts about a year. I can't drive because I'm disabled so my trike is my only form of transport and is used daily. The Heninzmann has been faultless.

Well I'm thinking a cargo trike might suit me better. It needs to be big because I have 4 dogs and definitely needs a motor because there are steep hills between me and the parks (Norfolk isn't all flat). Comparing the size of the "box" is easy enough, I've got no idea where to start on the motor.

Is it true that mid drives need a lot of maintenance because of the strain they put on the chain etc? Are 7 gears with a 250v engine really going to be enough? (I've 21 right now).

Heinzmann have replaced the hub kit with the direct drive kit and that has led to a drop of 2 in torque, that worries me. In theory they are bringing out a cargo bike kit, but they've been saying that for years and no sign of price.

I've been saving my pennies for 5 years and can't afford to make a mistake, this is my independence. Which brands can I trust more?

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I would stick with what you have if the bike/kit are reliable and opt for a better trailer . ecargo's are expensive, then if opting for mid motor drive one only gets a 2 yr warranty after that should it go wrong then the motor will cost 3 or 400 £££'s to be overhauled.

• Agree
Reactions: flash and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
A friend recommended this forum. I want a bike. What do you recommend?
You need to say what you want it for; 5 minute rides to the shop or hard offroad mountain bike rides. How fit are you? How much do you want to spend?

Reactions: PetieT

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well I've had a good 15 years use of my bike, converted to a trike, converted to an etrike with a Henizmann hub retrofit and a series of dog trailers. Thanks to brexit my supply of cheap trailers is no more and it is costing me £200 + for each one which lasts about a year. I can't drive because I'm disabled so my trike is my only form of transport and is used daily. The Heninzmann has been faultless.

Well I'm thinking a cargo trike might suit me better. It needs to be big because I have 4 dogs and definitely needs a motor because there are steep hills between me and the parks (Norfolk isn't all flat). Comparing the size of the "box" is easy enough, I've got no idea where to start on the motor.

Is it true that mid drives need a lot of maintenance because of the strain they put on the chain etc? Are 7 gears with a 250v engine really going to be enough? (I've 21 right now).

Heinzmann have replaced the hub kit with the direct drive kit and that has led to a drop of 2 in torque, that worries me. In theory they are bringing out a cargo bike kit, but they've been saying that for years and no sign of price.

I've been saving my pennies for 5 years and can't afford to make a mistake, this is my independence. Which brands can I trust more?
I agree with Nealh, you have the best combination already, the older Heinzmann motor having excellent torque.

Spending on a good replacement trailer will be far cheaper than a big enough electric cargo bike.

• Agree
Reactions: flash and Nealh

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For a heavy duty trailer that is light and collapsiblet the OP needs a Carry freedon L or XL trailer with the old pooch compartment added to the flat base . The CF's have a 90kg weight carrying ability if not attached to a QR axle, though has no suspension.
Typically most trailers are only rated at 40kg loading even the Burley suspension model so no wonder they don't last too long with four pooches..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Heinzman are a class act and very very expensive to buy.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Babbo Dog-E. I wouldn't think you'll find much better. Dutch company, and what do the Dutch know about cargo bikes - probably everything.
Designed for family transport(inc dog children), and the price is ok really, especially when compared to standardized 2 wheeled Ebikes.

Loads of UK dealers, so bound to be something near you. I looked at Babboe myself when i was looking for something to shop etc on, but the size and storage made eit impossible. Had I a garage or such it would have been in my top 3 choices. As it was I opted for a different route.
babboebigdogs1.jpeg

Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
The mid drive let's you use the range of gears, though with only 1 chainring at the front. I put a 42t on instead of the 46t supplied with the bbs01b. I think a 36t is available, you'd get up a house end with that. I pull a trailer full of shopping or a couple of sacks of Hen food at times as well as venturing out on steep local bridleways.

On another tack, you've got it all wrong, arse about tit, dogs should earn their keep, you should be sitting comfortably in a wheeled dog sled, the team up front dragging you along. Mush Mush! If you need to get somewhere fast dangle a cat in front of them with a fishing rod.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have put a double on a BBS01 and currently use a double on my tsdz2 .
With the cargo ute a double is easy being a LWB and means chainline isn't a consideration, there are no cross chaining issue and I can use all 18 gears.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
This was an intriguing concept, but it's not on Van Raam's website now, so prob never produced. And they have great bike paths there.
Oops, 8,325euros before tax & shipping, eek!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looking again at the OP's needs, not only does she need room for four pooches but also some basket space for other items. Not including the metal battery box as a new bike would have a frame battery somewhere.
Pashley sell a industrial look trailer that claims a 60kg loading.
EuroLoad Trailer | Bicycle Delivery Trailer | Pashley

Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I was thinking along the lines of this sort of simple shock absorbing platform design, for safer pumpkin carriage, which might also make conveyance of pooches a bit more comfy, for the pooches - I'd top it off with 6 or12mm of rubber mat, which I have stored in the loft. For last year's harvest, I used large old cushions, which weren't large enough, plus bubblewrap (bubbles bursting could alarm dogs).

https://www.reddit.com/r/edrums/comments/i8mufo

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Looking again at the OP's needs, not only does she need room for four pooches but also some basket space for other items. Not including the metal battery box as a new bike would have a frame battery somewhere.
Pashley sell a industrial look trailer that claims a 60kg loading.
EuroLoad Trailer | Bicycle Delivery Trailer | Pashley
Thats just a flat bed trailer. To which would need to be added some sort of container for the dogs to sit in, a separate part of this battery. So the op would also need to be able to do some competent work to ensure its all safely attached .maybe buy a drill, tools etc etc.

Seems a bit convoluted and the op has stated they're after a cargo trike, not yet another trailer.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have already mentioned in #7 what she could do.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't see that a mid drive will give 15years of reliability that the current bike has , the only failing is the cheaper trailers failing. What hasn't been said is in which way the trailers fail.
Another thing to consider is a new posh looking bike is likely to be a magnet for theft , whereas the exisiting reliable trike is very unlikely to attract attention.

Plas man

Pedelecer
May 12, 2022
Or … a couple of leads and the doggy’s can run along side , getting exercise and should the need arise save battery power as well …