Which Kit For Brompton M6r-x?

C

Cyclezee

I have recently bought a Brompton M6R-X. for those who don't know, it is a 6 speed with a mainly steel frame and a few Titanium parts, e.g. rear frame triangle, front forks etc.

I want to put an electric kit on it, but which one? If it had anything larger than 16" wheels, it would be Ezee.

I already have 36v LiFePO4 battery which would fit nicely on the rear carrier, so it is really a question of which 36v motor. Tongxin seem to be popular, but sourcing is not easy and their controllers have given trouble for some.

Any advice welcome;)

J:) hn

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
John, I think your only other choices are the Bafang or Cute motors. Not sure what Dan and Jerremy used but maybe check out their build threads.

C

Cyclezee

Thanks Neal,
I was feeling lazy and wanted all the answers without the effort:eek:
I really need to read Dan and Jerremy's threads.

Seasons Greetings,

Last edited by a moderator:

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Least effort would probably be to go for one of these:
Home page

and they seem to have a 10% off sale right now.

You could fit the kit yourself or get them to do it for you. This is the original 'Nano' (Tongxin) conversion that got a great write up in A to B magazine.

There's also a company in Israel called Freedom Ebikes which also sell a Tongxin kit - though I think it would be less hassle if things go wrong to go for a UK based outfit.

Otherwise there is the DIY approach as used by Dan, Jerry and myself - which is a bit cheaper but a lot more hassle!

C

Cyclezee

Least effort would probably be to go for one of these:
Home page

and they seem to have a 10% off sale right now.

You could fit the kit yourself or get them to do it for you. This is the original 'Nano' (Tongxin) conversion that got a great write up in A to B magazine.

There's also a company in Israel called Freedom Ebikes which also sell a Tongxin kit - though I think it would be less hassle if things go wrong to go for a UK based outfit.

Otherwise there is the DIY approach as used by Dan, Jerry and myself - which is a bit cheaper but a lot more hassle!
Thanks Pedalo,

I don't mind fitting a kit myself, I have done it a couple of times before and enjoy the challenge. What I would like to achieve is the best power to weight ratio and value for money. I would go for a used motor if the price were right and I knew it was working OK, then source the other components seperately.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Thanks Pedalo,

I don't mind fitting a kit myself, I have done it a couple of times before and enjoy the challenge. What I would like to achieve is the best power to weight ratio and value for money. I would go for a used motor if the price were right and I knew it was working OK, then source the other components seperately.

If you're looking for power, the bafang motor fitted by Dan might be a good compromise. However this does require you to stretch the forks wider than is required for the smaller Tongxin. I'm not sure whether your titanium forks would cope with that. I actually chickened out of widening my Ti forks even for the Tongxin, and ended up replacing the forks with steel alternatives. My main reason is that I wanted to be confident I could restore the Brompton to original spec without too much further expense.
I guess if this is of interest, settle down with a nice cup of tea and go through Dan's threads for the details!

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Links to Dan's and My threads.

Dan's link is on my first page.

Strange its almost a year to the day since my parts started coming and I began building :)

Unless you have loads of time to source different parts go for the FreedomE or EWC options as shown. As stated EWC have a sale on, plus if you don't need a battery I am sure they will sell you the other bits of the kit for considerably less than the full kit.

Feel free to email me or Dan (I am sure he won't mind) if you have any questions. People have fitted motors in the Titanium forks incl EWC who I think posted such not that long ago.

PS the real challenge in fittting kits, batteries etc is to keep it foldable, unless you don't need it to of course.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009