Which route to take?

XboxSteve

Just Joined
Oct 17, 2016
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Hello all.

I'm based in a place called Willington Quay, along the river Tyne in Newcastle. I've been a life-long cyclist, mainly MTB hardtails. I'm usually a motorbike rider with cycling on the side but an accident in April has left me with a partially crushed L2 Vertebrae.

I've been cycling more over the summer months, but can only cycle for so long/so far before back pain gets the better of me, hence I'm looking at ebikes.

I have an old reliable Muddy Fox alu framed bike that's ripe for a hub kit.
I also have a Charge Cooker Fatbike that I could do the same to.
My 3rd bike is a Cannondale Bad Boy 2013 that's hardly been used (as I used my motorbike more before the accident).

I want pedal assist. My back should heal/hurt less over time, and this will help me cycle further and/or for longer and get a bit fitter too.

Would you suggest a conversion kit, selling all 3 bike and getting a new or newer ebike, or something else?
I do really love the fatbike but it's rolling resistance is far higher than either of the 2 other bikes, therefore fat ebike is in the mix.

Many thanks
Steve

PS. I've been reading Ebike action magazine since it came out but this is really my first deep dive :)

Reactions: LeighPing

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Steve, welcome.
If you're handy with the spanners, a conversion leads to a better understood machine and can work out cheaper than an off the shelf bike.
I like the simplicity of hub drive, mine's been reliable over 3500 miles. Others will tell you crank drive is better. See if you can try both, it's a very individual thing.
What surfaces do you ride on? Hills or flat? How heavy are you? Does your back pain mean you may need to get home under e-power only? All this will affect recommendations.

• Informative

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
If you don't go off road then look at recumbents. My wrist is shot so I have moved to one and wouldn't go back.
Conversations are the cheapest high performing option.

• Informative

XboxSteve

Just Joined
Oct 17, 2016
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Hi Steve, welcome.
If you're handy with the spanners, a conversion leads to a better understood machine and can work out cheaper than an off the shelf bike.
I like the simplicity of hub drive, mine's been reliable over 3500 miles. Others will tell you crank drive is better. See if you can try both, it's a very individual thing.
What surfaces do you ride on? Hills or flat? How heavy are you? Does your back pain mean you may need to get home under e-power only? All this will affect recommendations.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I'm 120kgs but ride mostly flats with a couple of steep hills depending on my route. The surfaces can be loose singletrack to tarmac bike path.

Even with my back pain, I can usually get home slowly pedalling, or even walking, I'd rather ride of course.

I'm not bad with spanners and not scared getting my hands dirty.

I've been looking at a lot of posts regarding hub and crank solutions, hopefully I can find someone/somewhere local I can try both types.
The only thing putting me off hub for the Charge Cooker is that I've been told it has a an offset rear wheel and when I had a closer look after I bought it, the spokes are all on one side of the rim and I don't know if a rear hub would even fit.

Cheers
Steve

• Informative

XboxSteve

Just Joined
Oct 17, 2016
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
If you don't go off road then look at recumbents. My wrist is shot so I have moved to one and wouldn't go back.
Conversations are the cheapest high performing option.
I've seen them around but not tried one. They seem very low but I do like being more upright/visible and being able to see over cars, etc when I ride roads (not too often though).

I do ride singletrack sometimes, but again not that often.

I will see if I can find one to try :)

Thanks
Steve

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Trying different drive systems is the best. Cadence sensor hub drives whether F or R tend to be the most accommodating for a get you home or leisurely ride, as a mere gentle cadence soon gets you moving up to 15/16mph.
Though a bit more effort is needed for the hills and in some instances up to or over 20mph.
Torque sensor and mid drive generally require a bit more effort for a sportier ride or for some one who likes a bit more of a work out, though a cadence sensor hub will also give you a work out if you want it to.

Reactions: XboxSteve

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I've seen them around but not tried one. They seem very low but I do like being more upright/visible and being able to see over cars, etc when I ride roads (not too often though).

I do ride singletrack sometimes, but again not that often.

I will see if I can find one to try :)

Thanks
Steve
They do come in three heights, low mid and high racer. As well as two and three wheel designs. ( Kirsten makes his)
My mid racer has me on eye line with most car drivers.
But not looking over them.
The first 30 mins is pure terror! After that it gets fun, speed in comfort.

Reactions: XboxSteve