Wind noise - no not that sort of wind!

RussJ

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2011
In my motorcycling past I was always careful to use earplugs to protect my hearing from windnoise and in my pre-electric days, I couldn't cycle fast enough for this ever to be an issue.
However, now I can maintain a comfortable 20mph and often max out at about 27mph, I have started to notice an increase in wind roar. It usually takes me about 40mins to cycle to work so that's about and hour and a half per day exposed to a reasonable level of ambient din. Is this likely to be damaging in the long term?
My Dad had tinnitus and partial deafness caused by years of exposure to printing press noise...
Should I be concerned?
Russ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think it's very much a matter of how it affects each individual, our ears being such a wide range of shapes which affect the airflow. If the noise is now getting noticeable, wearing soft m/c earplugs would be a good precaution since it will do no harm and could protect against loss.

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Do it!
I have industrial deafness and now wear ear protection for everything that makes a noise, mowing the grass, cutting the hedge and using any power tools, i ALWAYS wear it motorcycling and if i had your commute would wear the same ear buds.

Deafness is no fun. :(