Wisper 905 Eco Questions

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I'm considering buying a Wisper 905 Eco bike but have a few questions I'm hoping someone will be able to answer...

I'm a bit unclear as to what makes this bike an "eco" and why it's cheaper.. it's supposed to be a slimmed-down version of the 905 Sport/City but it looks exactly like the Sport model in the pictures. What exactly is missing from it? Also, on the manufacturer's brochure it says the off-road option is not available on the Eco model, yet on retailers websites they are saying it is! So is the off-road switch available on the Eco?

I'm not looking to do trips of more than 20 miles (round trip) so I'm wondering whether it makes more sense to save some money and buy an 8A battery model as opposed to the 14A model. Also I'm concerned about having a bigger battery due to the extra weight. I would probably want to remove the battery from the bike and carry it around in a rucksack to prevent theft or vandalism, but lugging 4kg around on your back is no fun! Maybe I'm being paranoid about the batteries? It just strikes me that it draws more attention to the bike when left in a public place.

Range distance aside, would the 8A model perform any less better than the 14A?

I'm thinking perhaps if I make heavy use of the throttle, going up hills frequently, and also stopping and starting a lot. Perhaps in that respect, it might be worth getting the 14A?

Thanks for your responses, comments and thoughts, I'm getting closer to making a decision!

Last edited:

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi I think the Eco is a more basic spec than the sport, with slightly cheaper components such as gears. Also the sport has front suspension and sprung seatpost

With regards to battery, I've got the larger 14a on my sport and the range is great. I use my bike mainly to get to and from work, a 14-16 mile round trip and the larger range means I am not forever having to charge the battery

If you plan to ride in all weathers I would recommend getting some decent mudguards as the standard small ones are ok, but not the best for keeping your backside dry in the rain!

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Hi Jason thanks for clarifying that for me, I didn't realise it used cheaper parts. That doesn't sound too good, but then I suppose it's no worse than other bikes I'm looking at in a similar price range (Infineum Extreme, FreeGo Eagle, Powabyke X6-Byke)

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Range distance aside, would the 8A model perform any less better than the 14A?

I'm thinking perhaps if I make heavy use of the throttle, going up hills frequently, and also stopping and starting a lot. Perhaps in that respect, it might be worth getting the 14A?

[/QUOTE]

hi,from recent experience would suggest you go for the 14ah....8ah is great when fully charged but falls away for uphill assist when it gets below half full. 14 ah will give more power for longer and is only slightly larger.... (more expensive of course!!!)

regards

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I would really try and find the extra bit of cash for the 14Ah 905 SE, it is probably one of the best E bikes around for the money......

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Morphix

The Eco Model as you say is more like the cheaper brands on the market although the frame, battery and motor are exactly the same as on the SE models.

To clear one point you raise, the controller now is also the same as on the more expensive models, so there is no problem in de restricting although this does make the bike ilegal on European roads.

The front forks are non suspension but high quality and cost us more than the cheaper suspension forks available. The reason we do not put cheaper suspension forks on the Eco is we believe that if the suspension cannot be locked properly is is better to use a good set of standard forks.

The 8Ah battery will cope well with the 20 mile round trip, however if you want to have that "just charged" feel for the entire journey, I would certainly consider the 14Ah version.

Thanks for considering a Wisper, if I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

Best regards

David