Wisper brakes revisited

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Wisper rear brakes: notoriously inefficient.

Short of going to hydraulics/discs/whatever, is it worth changing the CABLE to a one of a better quality (less likely to STRETCH) version?

Any pitfalls?

Ta.

Allen.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Its a V-brake isnt it? The best cable you could fit would be a Gore Ride-On, which is sealed and should last as long as the bike without ever needing lubrication. I'f you also change the pads for Shimano or SRAM/Avid you should get the maximum performance from the brake.

IIRC they are Tektro, so essentially good brakes, however the rim may provide a poor braking surface, in which case you may never get acceptable power from it.

My dad has ordered a 906 City S, and no doubt he'll ask me to tweak his setup on that so i'll report back on the brakes after i've had a chance to fiddle with his.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks streeth - I'm pretty sure it's cable stretch, but I'll take it into my local bike shop for an opinion - I'm lucky enough to have one who doesn't mind having a go at electric bikes!

A

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
It's frame stretch rather than cable stretch, I fitted very good cables and calipers but it did no good. The disk brakes on my 906 are far better.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I wouldn't rule out hydraulic rim brakes. The are very powerful and feel very solid when mounted with the (now standard) brake booster and really not that expensive. The pads last for 3x as long and don't seem to wear out the rims as much. The only loss is the brake cut out and I didn't find that a problem provided you still keep one brake lever standard.

Last edited:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
It's frame stretch rather than cable stretch, I fitted very good cables and calipers but it did no good. The disk brakes on my 906 are far better.
Those very long seat stays could be flexing outwards, good point. On the Cyclamatic the original forks had this problem, they flexed at the v-brake bosses when you applied the brake. When i swapped for Rockshox forks it was 100% better.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Allen

We did have some problems a few years ago, but our braking systems are now superb.

Please drop me a PM or contact Steve at Wisper Support or of course your Wisper supplier and we will sort you out.

All the best

David

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
get some coolstop or swissstop pads. They are the best pad available. generally speaking all brakes are fine these days its just the contact points that need upgrading.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks for all the ideas, and thanks too to you David - but getting the bike from NW London to/from Woking is currently v.difficult, so I'll have to pass again!

Allen

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I fitted these Clarks CP513 cartridge brakes to my 905 when the originals wore out and they stop the bike very quickly.

I didn't change the cable, just adjusted it a few times.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for all the ideas, and thanks too to you David - but getting the bike from NW London to/from Woking is currently v.difficult, so I'll have to pass again!

Allen
Hi Allen

If you give them a call I am sure they could send the components through the post.

All the best

David