Yamaha PW-ST noise

Njb01

Just Joined
Oct 13, 2020
Hi,

I bought a Haibike Hardnine around 6 weeks ago. It has covered only 200Km since pick up. It is a great bike and so I decided to get one for the wife as well.
The new one (exact same spec) is far quieter. The ‘noisy’ one makes a noise like a slipping clutch especially in eco mode plus a noticeable whine when on load. I had assumed that was normal but getting the second one has made me wonder.
It is under warranty but don’t want to be embarrassed especially if it is normal and might ‘bed in’ over time.
Anybody got any thoughts?

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Apparently pretty normal according to the dealer I bought my wifes Haibike from, I tried a couple and both sounded different ( I thought they both sounded noisy compared to the Bosch Activeline Plus I used to have)

Njb01

Just Joined
Oct 13, 2020
Apparently pretty normal according to the dealer I bought my wifes Haibike from, I tried a couple and both sounded different ( I thought they both sounded noisy compared to the Bosch Activeline Plus I used to have)
That worries me a little. Modern quality control normally prevents such variables. I have no reason to doubt Yamaha, they are a big company and know what they are up to. Having said that, for the user it raises worries about longevity and reliability. Plus it clatters more than my 9 year old Bosch motor. No chance of creeping up on people though!

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
A bike mechanic I know who works at a large dealership that sells both Bosch and Yamaha powered bikes as well as others said that the Yamaha motor is much more reliable than the Bosch, ie they get a lot more motor problems with Bosch powered bikes compared to Yamaha powered ones, hardly scientific but the dealership sells a lot of bikes.

All major problems come apparent if you put a decent number of miles on the motor and within the two year guarantee a major problem will result in a brand new motor being fitted.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A bike mechanic I know who works at a large dealership that sells both Bosch and Yamaha powered bikes as well as others said that the Yamaha motor is much more reliable than the Bosch, ie they get a lot more motor problems with Bosch powered bikes compared to Yamaha powered ones, hardly scientific but the dealership sells a lot of bikes.

All major problems come apparent if you put a decent number of miles on the motor and within the two year guarantee a major problem will result in a brand new motor being fitted.
That's because of the Bosch CX bearing failures, which has been fixed on the new CX with the bigger chainwheel. Did he mention anything about Yamaha battery issues?

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
It was only a quick chat while collecting a part from the dealership.

He was talking about motors not batteries.

However I understand what you are saying and had my own well documented issues with my own Yamaha battery that I had to fix myself.

None of the big manufacturer systems seem to be well or at all supported out of warranty and sometimes not much within warranty.

I have enjoyed riding my Haibike Yamaha but you seem to be on your own getting it fixed once the warranty has expired.

After fixing my battery it has continued to work very well, now half way through its sixth year and with 12,500 miles of commuting. My problem was the connector leads that broke and the dealer did not have any option to get it fixed. The replacement connectors I used were less than a tenner of ebay. If I could not have fixed it myself I would have needed to buy a new one or scrap the bike.

Reactions: Njb01

Related Articles

Advertisers