Yet another battery breakthrough, possibly

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
probably commercially viable but breakthrough it is not. The new design offers the possibility of quick recharge by replacing the spent sludge with fresh sludge, which makes sense in the case of of a large electric truck but for a bike, it would be faster to swap batteries.
As for the claim 'Halving the size with ten times more energy density' - the new design will still use basic Lithium chemistry so offering no advantage over current ebike batteries.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maybe not indeed, yet another of the MIT battery miracle-advance announcements. :rolleyes:

They are bit like the devices or fluids that once proliferated, all claiming increases of at least 10% to 15% in car mpg. Buy ten of them and stop using any petrol!

As I always say, for the largest high discharge application there is, starting cars, we still use the 19th century technology of lead-acid batteries. So much for progress across three centuries. :(

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
there may be the possibility of using super capacitors for ebikes.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I use lead acid batteries on my electric outboard boat. Two 86 amp hour ones. They are sealed and therefore quite robust, I once had a leak in the boat that covered the batteries. There was a bit of bubbling, thankfully it was fresh water so no chlorine peril. The batteries recoved without a hitch. Lead acid still has its place, my 170 amp hour, 12 volt system cost £200. As the boat is used infrequently and not at all in winter, I think lead acid still has its advantages over more modern systems. Of course, weight in a boat can be a positive advantage as it contributes to stability.
'Torqueedo' now make a very powerul electric out board using a modern battery, but its range is very limited.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think lead acid still has its advantages over more modern systems.
It certainly does, and we have a number of members still using them, in some cases even in place of lithium ones for economy. They work well, they cost little, they are fully recyclable and they don't use scarce resources.