Yet Another Ebike Theft

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
They can probably put a PAYG sim, but my point is that you basically need to implement a mobile phone as tracking system with double membership (mobile operator + tracking device company).
And battery is also a problem. Would be so annoying to have to change battery every few weeks.

I've checked in the past few company doing that it's definitely not cheap that's why I don't have one on my bike.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
They can probably put a PAYG sim, but my point is that you basically need to implement a mobile phone as tracking system with double membership (mobile operator + tracking device company).
And battery is also a problem. Would be so annoying to have to change battery every few weeks.

I've checked in the past few company doing that it's definitely not cheap that's why I don't have one on my bike.
I think the idea was to run it off the huge ebike battery but then do you advise people to leave the battery in the bike when they lock up so the tracker works or take the battery out so it doesn't get the battery stolen?

I personally think that whenever someone takes any bike for repair or they get stopped for any reason the frame number should be quickly searched in a stolen bikes database. Might take a few months but once people notice buying an iffy bike will get it taken off you when you next walk into a bike shop for a flat tyre/service or have any kinda involvement with the police ect then stolen bikes for the most part would be worthless to all the oppertunist riffraff.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I think the idea was to run it off the huge ebike battery but then do you advise people to leave the battery in the bike when they lock up so the tracker works or take the battery out so it doesn't get the battery stolen?
I'd have the tracker with a small rechargeable battery. This being topped up every time the main cycle battery was connected. This way you can remove the main battery and the tracker keeps working.

Pay as you go tracker just texts you lat and long co ordinates when moved. No need for a tracking company.

When it stops moving, you go and find it. Simple. No substitute for good security but in the worst case, may help you get it back.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
can you give us a link to your tracker?

i'm interested if it works in france

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
can you give us a link to your tracker?

i'm interested if it works in france
If I had one, I would. I am simply saying a device such as this could be implemented by the manufactures of E bikes, and or controllers.

I believe that there are similar devices that can purchased and fitted in the head tube of a cycle, you would however need to periodically replace the battery in these. I see no reason why they should not work in any country.

Someone on this forum is sure to have a link to these. If not search the net.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
hmm... ok sorry I misread.

too bad nothing decent exist currently.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
If I had one, I would. I am simply saying a device such as this could be implemented by the manufactures of E bikes, and or controllers.

I believe that there are similar devices that can purchased and fitted in the head tube of a cycle, you would however need to periodically replace the battery in these. I see no reason why they should not work in any country.

Someone on this forum is sure to have a link to these. If not search the net.
Lots of different ones coming out or out already but can be pricey. Can't find the headset/topcap one but have seen it in the past.

The BikeSpike by Team BikeSpike — Kickstarter
Just in: Spylamp | road.cc

D

Deleted member 4366

At the Cycle Show 2011, there was a guy demonstrating some that went in the seat-post. He said that they would cost about £100, but were not then yet available.

The problem with many trackers is that they're either 12v or have re-chargeable internal batteries that only last a couple of days. You can increase that by hacking the battery connections to an external bigger battery, but still you have to keep re-charging it, which is tricky when it's inside the frame.