Yet another female cyclist death in London

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
In Belgium, some of the roundabouts have a separate bikeway, either on the outside of the roundabout and marked in red, or, you have to do what pedestrians do and go slightly up the road you wish to cross, and then cross in the same manner as a pedestrian.
Many of the traffic lights in Swansea now have a box right across the carriageway at the lights and painted green with bike markings. The box is ahead of the car stop line. This enables bikes to wait, out in front of everyone and of course, invites them to use the whole width of the carriageway.
For London, where so many junctions have steel pedestrian barriers, I think that they should be moved into the footpath, a separate parallel barrier erected and thus make a protected bikeway with its own traffic lights.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This all frightens me. Daughter senior is a London cyclist and I’m sending her a text telling her to be bloody careful.

Not for the first time… but then that’s what fathers are for!
It's mostly about awareness. I'm sure Ionia who has been posting above is at very little risk, simply because she shows such a high degree of awareness of the possibilities. I'm sure the danger is mainly for those who aren't paying attention or have never even considered the possibilities.

So I'm sure your reminders will do good, even though they may sometimes be treated in a less than appreciative way.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many of the traffic lights in Swansea now have a box right across the carriageway at the lights and painted green with bike markings. The box is ahead of the car stop line. This enables bikes to wait, out in front of everyone and of course, invites them to use the whole width of the carriageway.
We have these in London too, but motorists often just stop in them!

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Imagine a fish eating peanut butter...

I was talking about the highway code, not cycling.
In an oblique way, so was I.
It applies to all road users, including those who think it doesn't.
ps. do you have any of these fish? They might taste... interesting.

Last edited:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
If you arrive first at the junction be assertive and stay well out from kerb (middle of lane best) so as to force any vehicle that arrives after you to stay behind you rather than to try and squeeze along side. You have just as much right to use the road as they have. In fact riding in the 1 foot near the gutter at any time is for fools.
Exactly so. "Own your lane" is advice given by Polis motorcyclists and I assert it when on my bicycle too. There is a trick to doing it so as to not trigger road rage from some fools - compromise is important, in its own way. On the motorcycle, I'm always away before they are, and they accept that, so it's not a problem; on the e-bike I'm away quicker than they expect, so again, not a problem.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Exactly so. "Own your lane" is advice given by Polis motorcyclists and I assert it when on my bicycle too. There is a trick to doing it so as to not trigger road rage from some fools - compromise is important, in its own way. On the motorcycle, I'm always away before they are, and they accept that, so it's not a problem; on the e-bike I'm away quicker than they expect, so again, not a problem.
It's called defensive riding and it can cause verbal abuse and carve ups from some of the less intelligent or angry motorists a times.

Do I care? No. It’s an essential tool for staying alive on the roads. Unfortunately some cyclists seem to think their place is in the gutter.

I still think we have spent too long trying to educate both parties that it is time to sort out the problem for good. Sure keep educating but do something to prevent the deaths.

Let’s redesign the road layouts to give protection to cyclists, now not next year. We need many more pathways, short cuts at corners and so on. At the same time use the available technology to prevent trucks being physically able to run over large objects.

Sack our current transport minister, whoever he is and lets have someone that knows about transport issues and that does actually gives a s**t