How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Back out today along my favourite bridleway. Sadly I think that the tyres are going to have to go, so any thoughts on what to change them for, now that winter and the muddy season is approaching. :)

The riding is probably split 60% on road 40% off road, and the bike is currently fitted with the OE Continental Explorers 26 x 2.25

I mainly ride off road and use these and find them as good as any I've had in the past
Panaracer Fire XC Pro Folding Tyre | Tyres MTB Cross Country | - Cycle Sports UK

Also these for ice and snow which are brilliant but expensive
ICE SPIKER

The Dutch Perfect wouldn't cut it for the off road riding you do

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ah... Now i feel stupid! : )
Don't feel stupid. From 12 years ago it could have been a NiCad battery and with light use and the odd recovery charge routine it could still be giving some useful range. Even little used NiMh and cobalt cathode lithium batteries from that time could still be working to some degree if cared for meanwhile.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Eddie,

Sorry, this is off thread, that custom made bike transport holder is a great piece of kit, do you take orders;)

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Off road but pretty lightweight stuff..... just some tracks around some local fishing lakes and on the towpath.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm really so glad that I got off my backside and bought the bike back in July. I reckon that cycling has to be the best hobby that I've ever taken up, and best of all is that other than odd sharp discomfort to my knees, cycling actually stops my otherwise constant pain.

Today's ride was 28 miles which was predominantly off road, and although it felt a bit chilly to start with, I soon warmed up and found some superb and pretty much unused bridleways. One them proved to be a pain in the backside literally as I took another tumble. The track couldn't have been used for years, which I reckon was what the land owner had intended. It was grassed over ploughed fields, with more awkward gates than I'd ever seen anywhere. That section out of the way, the day was brilliant. I met some great people and had loads of fun. It certainly beats working.

Just as an interest, the ride was pretty heavy going, but surprisingly to me the 28miles only used 50% of the battery life. Okay I used pedal power more than electric, but it still seems a good figure.

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
One them proved to be a pain in the backside literally as I took another tumble.
:eek: ... oh dear ... Better start investing in some knee and elbow pads if this keeps up !

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I think that wrist supports would be better.

Actually I reached the conclusion that whilst my clipless pedals are fantastic, I really should learn to ride awkward bits like that with the flat side. I was hardly moving, and just didn't have time to unclip before going down.

I also discovered that a very small stone had wedged itself into the cleat, which probably didn't help matters.

This off road lark is brilliant fun though, and I don't seem to be able to get enough of it. :)

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I think that wrist supports would be better.

Actually I reached the conclusion that whilst my clipless pedals are fantastic, I really should learn to ride awkward bits like that with the flat side. I was hardly moving, and just didn't have time to unclip before going down.

I also discovered that a very small stone had wedged itself into the cleat, which probably didn't help matters.

This off road lark is brilliant fun though, and I don't seem to be able to get enough of it. :)
It really is great fun and it's good to see a dirty bike having been used for what it's designed for.
I like to ride with my size 11 feet in hard soled walking boots which have often turned a "fall off" into a "step off" and saved my ankles a few times on rough ground

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
DC, I happened to be in Evandens today and they sold the Topeak equivalent of your SKS front guard. It looked pretty robust and well made, and was the same price, so I ended up buying one. It fits well, and certainly looks better.

Given that winter and the associated dark evenings/nights are approaching quickly, I'm also curious to know which front lights that people are using for their off road, night time riding exploits.

A bit of an early Xmas pressie, a Fenix BT20 should be landing on my doorstep tomorrow. :)

[video=youtube_share;ABmwlrFWNOk]http://youtu.be/ABmwlrFWNOk[/video]

D

Deleted member 4366

DC, I happened to be in Evandens today and they sold the Topeak equivalent of your SKS front guard. It looked pretty robust and well made, and was the same price, so I ended up buying one. It fits well, and certainly looks better.

Given that winter and the associated dark evenings/nights are approaching quickly, I'm also curious to know which front lights that people are using for their off road, night time riding exploits.

A bit of an early Xmas pressie, a Fenix BT20 should be landing on my doorstep tomorrow. :)
For half the price, you can get one of these. It has three of the same emitters as the Fenix instead of one, so three times the light. It also has a four cell battery pack instead of two. So twice the battery and three times the light for half the price. I have this one on my bike for night-time off-road riding.

2in1 4000lumen 3x CREE XML T6 LED Bike Bicycle Light Headlamp Torch+Batt+Charger | eBay

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Not such a good ride this morning.

Raining hard, very muddy, 5 separate punctures, and 12 miles short of my target distance today of 30 miles. I jacked it in after the last puncture. :(

I don't think that any tyre/tube would have prevented this one!!

I did grab a coffee before abandoning it though.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I clean the bike thoroughly after each ride, taking great care to wash it properly, use an air line to remove all water, then coat the whole bike thoroughly with ACF50, but this morning I spotted that the chrome on both of the lower section of the fork stanchions is pretty much non existent and corrosion is setting in. The bike was only bought in July, and hasn't yet seen a winter. :(

Last edited:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I clean the bike thoroughly after each ride, taking great care to wash it properly, use an air line to remove all water, then coat the whole bike thoroughly with ACF50, but this morning I spotted that the chrome on both of the lower section of the fork stanchions is pretty much non existent and corrosion is setting in. The bike was only bought in July, and hasn't yet seen a winter. :(

That's disappointing to say the least after such a short time.
I've never had this happen with any forks (yet) and "not fit for purpose" seems a very apt description.
Are the forks a branded make?
I hope you get a satisfactory outcome as they should should surely be replaced under warranty, though a direct replacement may not last any better.

Advertisers