Chain rings and crank drives

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Something struck me yesterday whilst out riding off road. In the 5 months or so of owning the Xtrem, yesterday was the first time that I have used the granny ring. This in turn made me think about crank drive motors, and the fact that in the case of something like the Haibike below, the chainring/cog is very small.
When using power assist on the Xtrem I'm generally on the middle ring of the three chain rings, and then when in non assist mode I'm more often than not on the outer largest ring and smallest cog on the cassette.

Would I be correct in assuming that when using a pedal only non assist mode on a crank drive bike, the pedalling and gearing would be as useless on road as the granny ring would be on my current triple set up?

Example only..

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
No the drive isn't direct on the newer Bosch, the drive is geared up before being transmitted to that granny ring looking front sprocket.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
So there is an internal unit gearbox similar to that of a motorcycle, with the gear change located on the handle bar?

If so, does this not add/create drag* to the system?

I'm just concerned that if I do eventually decide to change to a crank drive motor, that my on road enjoyment will in some way be spoilt.

*If that was the right word.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
There is a gearbox yes, but they're only one speed, so just like a bike with one chain ring on the front.

There has to be some loss involved as you say.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Eddie,

The motor is geared internally on the new Bosch. The outside ring turns roughly 2.5 times to each pedal crank. So on this model it's the equivalent to roughly a 39t sprocket. It also have the new SRAM 11speed gear system with the massive 10-42t range!

I actually had the bike you pictured above in my workshop this week and I can say that I felt no drag on the cranks when the motor was turned off.

Why not read all about how the Bosch works on my blog here? - http://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/blog/

Regards
Martin

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
An Sram Dual-drive derailleur/Hub mix covers every gearing need from a single front chainring-27 speed bosch is lovely...
Not as lovely as my Delite with a Rohloff hub.

Reactions: martin@onbike
D

Deleted member 4366

Are you sure that you don't have it? I know some Neos do. Try press and hold the upper button on the display.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Has it arrived at last?
Yes, picked it up yesterday. Had a ride today, it is brilliant. Only done 17 miles so far, so will wait a while before a report, so far very favorable.