Choices for 1st Pedelec...

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
Newbie here, seriously considering a first bike to ease commuting in London. I live in the country and work in town often, usually staying in digs in West London and commuting in. Some commutes are fine on my current Dahon Vitesse folder, but above 5 miles gets a bit chewy for me (not the fittest at 6' tall and 16 stone) so I'm looking for a decent pedelec to ease the longer commutes (10-12 miles each way) and allow me to arrive not looking and smelling like a sweaty mess. I'd much rather spend an hour on a bike than stuck in the tube.

So I've been looking around and have a potential - a secondhand Kalkhoff Xion X24 hub drive bike. Also been looking at various Agattus and others (Volt Pulse, Burisch) and considering the AVE MH7 too. It'll be transported on the car (or in it) and then used.

Any snags with the Xion? I've ridden it and it seems fine (a bit of a wall at 16mph - apparently that's par for the course?) or are there better bikes for around a grand? The Burisch looks good (not ridden one) but would need mudguards and a rack etc...

Any suggestions welcome!!

Ta

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The wall is power cutting out IAW the legal speed limit. So cruse at 15.5 mph or build up a sweat?
They should all behave like this.
kalkoff do have a good reputation. Personally I would rather have a quality second hand bike than new cheapo one.

Reactions: Jason P

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
finding a quality bike for less than a grand? it may be easier said than done.
By the way, which car do you have that can take a full size bike inside?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
finding a quality bike for less than a grand? it may be easier said than done.
By the way, which car do you have that can take a full size bike inside?
Not a full size one - hence me looking at the MH7. Full size would need to be on a rear carrier.

I think the Kalkhoff looks to be the front runner so far, though I like the ride of my Dahon, and my Moulton TSR (hence looking at 20" wheel bikes) though this has to go in order to pay for the electric one, and it is a little small for me.

Any others to consider?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Both the Kalkhoff and the AVE will do the job for you.

But I would go for the AVE because it so much handier in traffic than a full size wheel bike.

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
Both the Kalkhoff and the AVE will do the job for you.

But I would go for the AVE because it so much handier in traffic than a full size wheel bike.
How do you find the AVE over distances Rob?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I
How do you find the AVE over distances Rob?
Surprisingly comfy.

I don't like doing much more than 10 miles on the Brompton, but I've done a few 50 mile rides on the AVE.

It is not as comfortable as my Rose 29er, but there's not a lot in it.

My Rose has near-balloon Marathon Supreme tyres.

I'm not sure what tyres will be on the Xion you are thinking of, but if they are 'ordinary' profile, it may be an AVE would be more comfortable.

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
The Xion is 700c with Continentals IIRC... but it has boingy forks and a springy seat post so it should be comfy. Interesting that the MH performs so well over distances. Just a bit of a pain to get a test ride on...

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Just a bit of a pain to get a test ride on...
Yes, it's the only way you could be sure.

You could have a go on mine, although the journey from the smoke to the frozen North East might put you off that idea.

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
You could have a go on mine, although the journey from the smoke to the frozen North East might put you off that idea.
Ha! Thanks for the kind offer Rob but I should be able to find one in Bristol with a bit of luck. I liked the Kalkhoff - it rode well - and it's tempting but it's whether or not I can try an MH7 in time to not lose the 'K bike'. There are a few SH ones about for the right sort of figure.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The Xion is 700c with Continentals IIRC... but it has boingy forks and a springy seat post so it should be comfy.
The Xion X24 does indeed come with Continentals, (Town Rides, I think they're called) but I swapped them for MPs straight after my first puncture.

The front fork is perfectly adequate for road and most trail and I have the pre-load on mine at max, providing just the slightest of shock absorption to help with badly surfaced roads.

Today, I managed to straighten a bent Deore rear derailleur then fettled the gears to my satisfaction. On road test, the bike is now riding better than when new with gear changes quieter and slicker than previously.

There are lots of accomplished ebikes out there now but for the money that 50 Cycles were asking in their January sale, the X24 was and remains a great bargain. The Xions really are very good, robustly constructed in that German way and they climb steep hills better than one has a right to expect from a stock, legally-compliant, hub-motored machine.

As regards the 15mph power cut-off, it seems to work very smoothly on the Xion and unless headwinds prevent, riding beyond 15mph on the flat isn't very difficult due to gearing that permits an easy cadence, certainly up to 20mph. I don't have the lungs to maintain that kind of speed for very long but even in short bursts, it allows good average speeds to be maintained as the power assistance provides good speed on the hilly bits.

It's easy to forget that the Xion is a Kalkhoff Pro-Connect so it has a good pedigree and Xion is simply an alternative propulsion system, similar to the Bionx one which appeared on some previous Kalkhoff models. Lovely hydraulic rim brakes, super lights and a good rack and stand make the Xion X24 all the ebike that most people would ever need.

Tom

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
<snip> Lovely hydraulic rim brakes, super lights and a good rack and stand make the Xion X24 all the ebike that most people would ever need.

Tom
Thanks for that detailed reply Tom, it certainly seems a lot of bike for the money and echoes some of my feelings about it. I'll be giving it some serious thought over the next few days...

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The Sahel Compact is very similar to the AVE that's been mentioned. You should be able to try one out at 50cycles in Hampton Wick. I love them and could do you a second hand one if you were interested.

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
Interesting Jonah - can you PM me more details? I live in Somerset so may be quicker for me to come down to you...

Choices, choices...

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Newbie here, seriously considering a first bike to ease commuting in London. I live in the country and work in town often, usually staying in digs in West London and commuting in. Some commutes are fine on my current Dahon Vitesse folder, but above 5 miles gets a bit chewy for me (not the fittest at 6' tall and 16 stone) so I'm looking for a decent pedelec to ease the longer commutes (10-12 miles each way) and allow me to arrive not looking and smelling like a sweaty mess. I'd much rather spend an hour on a bike than stuck in the tube.

So I've been looking around and have a potential - a secondhand Kalkhoff Xion X24 hub drive bike. Also been looking at various Agattus and others (Volt Pulse, Burisch) and considering the AVE MH7 too. It'll be transported on the car (or in it) and then used.

Any snags with the Xion? I've ridden it and it seems fine (a bit of a wall at 16mph - apparently that's par for the course?) or are there better bikes for around a grand? The Burisch looks good (not ridden one) but would need mudguards and a rack etc...

Any suggestions welcome!!

Ta
Jason,the new KTM Compact is an alternative to the MH7,there is one in stock at the London Electric Bike Company of Hampton Wick. You may be surprised at what a nice bike is the Kudos Secret to ride at only £725.00.
LEBC is only 200 metres from 50 cycles so it is convenient to visit both dealers,there is a nice test track in Bushy Park,nearby. LEBC have over 40 ebikes in stock so there is plenty of choice.
KudosDave