Carrera Croosfire, Cyclotricity Stealth or Woosh Karoo?

spiderno7

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2014
Sutton Coldfield
I current have a full suspension Raleigh MTB, with the 8-Fun motor and battery striped of an Alien Aurora Off Road motor, which is currently serving me well. However, the reason for striping the Alien was because of the battery location over the back wheel which led to a number of spokes breaking... since the switch the rear suspension soaks ups the lumps and bumps and no breaks to report

The bike itself is over 15 years old, with the original crank set and bottom bracket, it has a few creeks, but all in all a good servant. However, I'm currently looking to purchase a new e-bike, but I am torn between a number of options... my budget is restricted, so I can't afford the mega bucks.

This is what I know...

Carrera Crossfire - The motor cuts out every now and again. One reports of rear spokes breaking.

Cyclotricity Stealth - Test Drove one on 18 March 2017, enjoyable ride, the motor was noisy in PAS Level 1, but all in all felt good. However, even though the bike looked good, I have read a few reports detailing the poor customer service, or poor quality parts on the bike.

Woosh Karoo - Looks good, not so such about the lack of suspension, but the battery and range look good, and the one review I read is favorable.

My other option is to get the conversion kit and stick it on a bike I buy myself, but if that is the case, which conversion kit do I opt for considering my budget.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
You already have the 8fun kit and battery.
Time for a eBay new bike to fit it too

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Could be the answer. Batteries are the biggest hit.

D

Deleted member 4366

Cyclotricity Stealth - Test Drove one on 18 March 2017, enjoyable ride, the motor was noisy in PAS Level 1, but all in all felt good. However, even though the bike looked good, I have read a few reports detailing the poor customer service, or poor quality parts on the bike.
The sort of problems with the Cyclotricity bikes can easily be fixed by yourself. Also some of the faults reported border on abuse, so I'm not surprised when there was some reluctance from Cyclotricity.

The Cyclotricity is not particularly powerful, and would be less than your Alien kit and probably less than the other two, and it is a bit noisy in the front wheel.

The Crossfire seems to have a dodgy PAS sensor, and it's a special one, so only obtainable from Halfords.

The Woosh SWX02 kit would probably be a good solution, with slightly more power than the Alien kit.

spiderno7

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2014
Sutton Coldfield
I spoke to a chap in Halfords last night about the Carrera Crossfire... in the flesh it's looks a very good bike. He said that they have changed the battery, removed the USB from the LCD display. I am getting convinced by this option.

He also mentioned that the Crossfire has been re-launched along with the Vulcan. I'm looking convinced

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
I don't think they have changed the battery. It looks identical anyway. They haven't removed the USB from the display either, ( mine has the new display) they have just made it into a smaller mini usb, so the Halfords chap probably couldn't see it !

spiderno7

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2014
Sutton Coldfield
How long have you owned a Crossfire Ebike? I have spoke to 3 halfords chaps and looked at the bike close up, I'm really tempted.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Re tyred

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
in my house
hy had crossfire e bike for about 5 months does what it says on tin started of as an unhealthy 21 stone yes thats 21 stone 2 previous heart attacks now thanks to bike 16 stone and falling and now returning to my 33 year old raleigh record road bike feeling a lot healthier............... all of which i put down to crossfire giving me the assistance required to get back into shape, seldom need more than eco mode hills only and despite what ive heard find that riding un assisted gives a good work out. As for cut out thought it happened once but found i had not fully clicked comp back into place which meant it was losing connection on bumps my bad not bikes. All in all cant recomend crosfire enough and you can now change between mph and kph which used to be its downfall. As others have said try a few and then decide which best suits you

spiderno7

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2014
Sutton Coldfield
Well... I've just got back home after test riding the Carrera CrossFire E-Bike on sale at Halfords....

In short, as I'm not a man of many words, the bike impressed me.

In 'eco' mode, I had all the assistance I needed on a number of hills in the local area (Sutton Coldfield), the 8 gears offered a good range for my cycling ability, and I was able to sit at 17 mph on the flats without really pushing it. On a couple occasions I noticed the computer automatically adjusting the power modes as I struggled up a hill, I couldn't work out if I had pressed the buttons in my haste up the hills or it recognises the effort and strain on the motor and adjusts accordingly (it only did it twice in the 30 minute ride, 7.3 mile covered in that time, and not really pushing it.).

The bike handled well, considering it was a 21 inch frame with a 5ft 10, 12 stone, 40 year old pedaling away. Overall, I'm feeling confident that this bike will provide me with what I need for a 20 mile commute to work. The brakes felt good, the weight and balance of the of the bike felt great. I managed to use all the modes, but found that I didn't really need the 'climb' and 'sport' modes as a standing start was easily managed in 'eco' mode and the correct gear; the bike soon got up to speed without the need of the 3rd, 4th & 5th power modes. One final point,the bike was light enough to pedal without power, which is crucial in a power shortage.

Impressed enough to purchase.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
You won't regret it, £ for £ it's a great bike. Use mine daily to commute, all throughout the winter, rain, ice, gales, it's been great. Do 50 mile touring rides at the weekend too, can't keep off it !

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
Well... I've just got back home after test riding the Carrera CrossFire E-Bike on sale at Halfords....

In short, as I'm not a man of many words, the bike impressed me.

In 'eco' mode, I had all the assistance I needed on a number of hills in the local area (Sutton Coldfield), the 8 gears offered a good range for my cycling ability, and I was able to sit at 17 mph on the flats without really pushing it. On a couple occasions I noticed the computer automatically adjusting the power modes as I struggled up a hill, I couldn't work out if I had pressed the buttons in my haste up the hills or it recognises the effort and strain on the motor and adjusts accordingly (it only did it twice in the 30 minute ride, 7.3 mile covered in that time, and not really pushing it.).

The bike handled well, considering it was a 21 inch frame with a 5ft 10, 12 stone, 40 year old pedaling away. Overall, I'm feeling confident that this bike will provide me with what I need for a 20 mile commute to work. The brakes felt good, the weight and balance of the of the bike felt great. I managed to use all the modes, but found that I didn't really need the 'climb' and 'sport' modes as a standing start was easily managed in 'eco' mode and the correct gear; the bike soon got up to speed without the need of the 3rd, 4th & 5th power modes. One final point,the bike was light enough to pedal without power, which is crucial in a power shortage.

Impressed enough to purchase.
Well it looks as though Halfords are now selling loads of different electric bikes from lots of manufacturers. Should help with their knowledge base..
Did you get yours on sale as can't see any sale on the electrics at the moment.

• Informative

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
I had a look again today at the cross fire and mtb vetions a new battery is in the region of £380

just wonder if spares are readily available ie the lcd consule just slides out of its mount

Old grumpy

Just Joined
Dec 1, 2016
Nother Ireland
Could be the answer. Batteries are the biggest hit.
I have the Carerra Crossfire e bike which I bought last August. I have had an issue with power cut outs. The store swapped the battery and that seems to have helped so far. However, I have broken five spokes since January 2017. I am concerned that this may continue after my warranty expires at the end of this month. Can I ask where you aw the review about broken spokes? Other than that I must say I like the bike and the range is very good considering I am not the lightest guy on the block.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I have the Carerra Crossfire e bike which I bought last August. I have had an issue with power cut outs. The store swapped the battery and that seems to have helped so far. However, I have broken five spokes since January 2017. I am concerned that this may continue after my warranty expires at the end of this month. Can I ask where you aw the review about broken spokes? Other than that I must say I like the bike and the range is very good considering I am not the lightest guy on the block.
Did Halfords replace the spokes for you under warranty ? If so there is a 2 year componet warranty on the bike, so you've got another year
I've had 3 break on my Crossfire-e, and I replaced them myself, simple job, not had any let go in the last 4-5 months so hopefully settled down now

D

Deleted member 4366

If more than three spokes break, you should get the whole wheel rebuilt with 14g spokes.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
When your 12 month warranty expires then take out a £30 year Halfords care package. It includes all labour costs and a free service.
So you just have to pay for the spokes that are about 50p each !

D

Deleted member 4366

When your 12 month warranty expires then take out a £30 year Halfords care package. It includes all labour costs and a free service.
So you just have to pay for the spokes that are about 50p each !
Would the money would be better spent on a proper wheel-build with 14g spokes?