Brexit, for once some facts.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I read ..or more accurately attempted to read an article written by Chinese medical staff in the Lancet, yesterday and it makes grim reading. Its not the economic cost of older people but the how efficacious the process is. Risk factors or indicators of death include the obvious .. lung function, but also a huge variety of others ...high BP, diabetes, tobacco, heart palpitations stood out . mean time to death was about 22 days , time to recovery 16 days . Recovery being defined as reduced RNA production.
I wonder if there are any long term / permanent affects?

Reactions: oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don’t think hand washing is going to help, this virus seems to transmit as an aerosol very very well, perhaps better than anything else we’ve seen before. Just stay away from people.
hand washing helps, at least psychologically.
Also singing the national anthem or Jerusalem at the same time helps boosting your sense of invincibility.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Also singing the national anthem or Jerusalem at the same time helps boosting your sense of invincibility.
Good psychology: as long as you keep at least 1m from the next nearest singer. Maybe with extra breath exhalation you need a little extra distance for singing?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I read ..or more accurately attempted to read an article written by Chinese medical staff in the Lancet, yesterday and it makes grim reading. Its not the economic cost of older people but the how efficacious the process is. Risk factors or indicators of death include the obvious .. lung function, but also a huge variety of others ...high BP, diabetes, tobacco, heart palpitations stood out . mean time to death was about 22 days , time to recovery 16 days . Recovery being defined as reduced RNA production.
there were some stats from WHO, 128k confirmed cases, 5k deaths, 68k recovered, leaving 55,000 people in intensive care? we never are going to have that many beds in ICUs.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
China has deleted a report that Coronavirus ruins Male fertility

Project Fear had nothing on this virus!

There is a certain Comedy Noir about the situation where a regime with an appalling Human Rights record is trying not to frighten people!

But then in a week where the Conservatives publish a Labour Budget
Trump reinvents Isolationism
Boris Johnson set to announce study into Irish bridge, claims minister

And the Civil Servants are queuing up to quit

Anything can happen!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Not quite true - seems to be Schengen Area countries.
Yes UK and Ireland remain exempt. However I have two difficulties with this.
Granted the incidence is less here than mainland Europe, but whether Golf resorts factor in is problematic.
There is nothing to stop French people travelling to London and on to SF on a 9 hour flight. There is some evidence that people without appearing ill can be infectious for a number of days prior to symptoms

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
cut out all contact with other people, except for absolutely essential matters until this thing starts to subside. especially if you are of pensionable age.
That applies to me but I'm still not bothered. I've just got back from my usual very large supermarket which as ever was packed with people. Since it serves a very wealthy area to the south and a well-to-do middle class area to the north, the clientele during weekdays are predominately elderly and often very elderly and frail and today was no different.

Still not a single face mask seen anywhere, despite driving through two other packed shopping areas on the way there and also calling at another busy supermarket for something not in stock at the first.

Overall it seems people in my area aren't bothered by the possibility of catching coronavirus, only by the risk of shortages as empty shelves showed. A long length of toilet roll shelving was empty at the large supermarket and there was also a big gap on the kitchen roll shelf.

With that and many speaking of using newspaper, Dynorod should do well from the epidemic.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
China has deleted a report that Coronavirus ruins Male fertility
The coronavirus gets better and better!

First the prospect that a pandemic could help with reducing the world overpopulation problem.

Second that it's mainly the excess of non-productive elderly who are culled.

Now the prospect that it might also reduce the birth rate to keep down the reduced population.

Maybe with these we'll all be able to stop worrying about global warming, climate change and Earth's resources running out.

The gift that just keeps giving!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The coronavirus gets better and better!

First the prospect that a pandemic could help with reducing the world overpopulation problem.

Second that it's mainly the excess of non-productive elderly who are culled.

Now the prospect that it might also reduce the birth rate to keep down the reduced population.

Maybe with these we'll all be able to stop worrying about global warming, climate change and Earth's resources running out.

The gift that just keeps giving!
Word on the street

"It's one o' they Biomelogikal weapons innit?
An anti Brexit plot!"
#

Next lunatic conspiracy theorist please! :eek:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A minister has claimed that no-deal Brexit preparations have made the UK ready for the coronavirus pandemic.
does he mean nobody would come closer to us than 1M?

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
That applies to me but I'm still not bothered. I've just got back from my usual very large supermarket which as ever was packed with people. Since it serves a very wealthy area to the south and a well-to-do middle class area to the north, the clientele during weekdays are predominately elderly and often very elderly and frail and today was no different.

Still not a single face mask seen anywhere, despite driving through two other packed shopping areas on the way there and also calling at another busy supermarket for something not in stock at the first.

Overall it seems people in my area aren't bothered by the possibility of catching coronavirus, only by the risk of shortages as empty shelves showed. A long length of toilet roll shelving was empty at the large supermarket and there was also a big gap on the kitchen roll shelf.

With that and many speaking of using newspaper, Dynorod should do well from the epidemic.
Shop online. Get the goods dropped at the front door and wipe the individual packages with anti-bacteria solution before bringing them into the house.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Just two related threads.
Ireland has just gone into quasi lockdown ..all schools etc closed. From now until the date of the original Brexit date ..29th March.
During the long Brexit "will it won't it," of last year , the supply chains were building up reserves of materials ,so the warehouses are full. I suspect the same is true in the UK

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers