Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n12

Says quite clearly in here if second dose not available its preferable to give available jab.??? Unchartered waters..(USA are not allowing this)

But say you rolled up for 2nd jab and you were told no Pfizer available.
Would you
A) Wait (??? How long?)
B) refuse jab completely.
C) Accept AZ??
I wonder if we, d even know?
Above situation is going to happen...
Think I, d go for C... But???
How about this response
Say OK, and when do I get the second shots to BOTH vaccines?
:D
Assuming of course they don't forget to say which vaccine they are administering.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I think we received 950,000 doses.
there is no delivery of Pfizer vaccine for some time now. Next delivery April.
Bang goes the second dose, eh?
Ah well I have reserved a seat next to the fire (and promised to earmark one for Flecc)
We could be the first forum on the Undernet:cool:

Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Could be.. But folk are reasonably well spaced (place must hold 60k tourists when there at height of season)
Majority of folk on Isle of Man live in Douglas. I, d guess Douglas has more inhabitants than Gibraltar???
Just checked.. Douglas has 29k residents. Gibraltar in total 30k..Geographically Gibraltar way bigger than Douglas, but has fared probably 5 times worse??
There is something going on nobody knows about with Covid. Difference in stats can't be explained at moment. Think we are all still guessing.
Gibraltar has had approaching 2000 deaths per million population.???
Basically it's looking like the planet has found a long term cure for Humanity wrecking the ecology

Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Could be.. But folk are reasonably well spaced (place must hold 60k tourists when there at height of season)
Majority of folk on Isle of Man live in Douglas. I, d guess Douglas has more inhabitants than Gibraltar???
Just checked.. Douglas has 29k residents. Gibraltar in total 30k..Geographically Gibraltar way bigger than Douglas, but has fared probably 5 times worse??
There is something going on nobody knows about with Covid. Difference in stats can't be explained at moment. Think we are all still guessing.
Gibraltar has had approaching 2000 deaths per million population.???
I have not been to Gib, but I understand it is almost a vertical rock face so the population is constrained into a much higher density than 2.6 sq miles would indicate..and of course a lump of the flat land is an airport so constraining it even more. IoM is an open enough island, with many small houses, not tall apartment blocks. So getting out into the countryside is no big deal. Being an Island has advantages also.
Finally there is the statistics of small numbers... 65 deaths and 25 deaths is less significant than might appear. Small number of discrete events are under Poisson statistics and the standard deviation is sq root N

Reactions: Zlatan and POLLY

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Here is a sobering thought
We have reached post #89668
Nearly as many as the mortality figure for the UK from Covid
Oddly no one seems to be keeping a tally of the walking (or otherwise) wounded

Reactions: oyster and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
MasterCard upping fees from 0.3% to 1.5% on purchases by UK people buying from EEA countries. No cap now due to brexit.
if this carries on for a while, people will want to rejoin.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
it's to be expected.
@ $25 for 50 micrograms, easy money for Pfizer/Moderna etc
Why bother with research? if they filled the vials with a Saline solution and something to make the injection site sting for a couple of days no one would be any the wiser

Now here's a cunning plan, join the Conservative Party and form a company selling Oven Cleaner filled Condoms and offer to produce the booster shots at a knock down price

Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you'd like to learn just how terrible Brexit is for us in relation to fishing and our trade, have a listen to the Food Program that was on BBC Radio 4 Sunday and earlier today.

It's on this i-player link

The EU have really taken us to the cleaners, both now and longer term.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Gibraltar is a town, more densely populated compared to the IOM.
Statistics are very easily skewed in small fairly isolated places. Guernsey had a near perfect record till a week or so ago, the suddenly looking much worse.

• Informative
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I have not been to Gib, but I understand it is almost a vertical rock face so the population is constrained into a much higher density than 2.6 sq miles would indicate..and of course a lump of the flat land is an airport so constraining it even more. IoM is an open enough island, with many small houses, not tall apartment blocks. So getting out into the countryside is no big deal. Being an Island has advantages also.
Finally there is the statistics of small numbers... 65 deaths and 25 deaths is less significant than might appear. Small number of discrete events are under Poisson statistics and the standard deviation is sq root N
Suspect you are right. Available land for use is only 6.8 km2... And with a population of 30,000 it does have 5th highest population density on earth.
I love the place actually. Most folk don't like it but it has a reality and vibrance to it. Plus it's near some fantastic windsurf beaches, has loads of wind, good food and fairly cheap prices. Those apes are a pain tho... Not that friendly and they, ll nick anything or is that on Spain.
We were once in a traffic jam queuing to get on to the Rock and somebody knocked on window and asked for cash in exchange for required ticket to get on place. I told him I, d buy one at kiosk, we might turn around and go. He sold about 50 useless raffle tickets to other more trusting tourists. Caused plenty of arguments at the kiosk..
Folk handing in raffle tickets and waiting for barrier to be lifted.... Made us all smile.. That's the EU for you. Very enterprising.
If ever you do go, do the tunnels exploration tour. Incredible. The place is a labyrinth.
And stay at The Rock Hotel for a couple of nights. Like going back to 50s.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Advertisers