Hello

Doctor john

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2021
Hi . I am recentley retired from work and from motorcycle rideing . I have soo many questions regarding E bikes which I am hopeing to purchace or build as soon I can . So please bare with me as i have joind other forums and been called a troll for asking what might seen obivious to people in the ''know '', but to me seems like some kind of magic.
my first councern is I live at the bottom of a valley. 2 ways out . one is a steep hill 30% about half a mile long ( I used to cycle this to school as a teenager but now I cant even walk up it). The other way out is still steep but takes me about 4 miles out of my way.all on a main road
Another point is I would like to be able to pull a small camping trailer maybe a yakk style or a burley type and still have enough battery life left to go somwhere after climbing out of the vally
i have access to 3 bicycles( in the back of the garage) that maybe suitable for conversion I'm handy enough with spanners and a soldering iron . Or I would concider buying a complete e bike .Budget allowing.
The e bikes i have been looking at online are the T20 and the Y20 that seems to be called different things but just seem to be the same bike rebadged. i would be greatfull for the oppinions of anyone that has owned either of these .
i have allready dissmissed the idia of a ''legal''250 watt e bike as it seems wishifull thinking that it would be capable of what I'm asking . but is this the case ? i don't know .
please, I would appracite some feedback. Is any of this possable or am I asking for something thats not .? . please bare in mind I am totaly unfit and recovering from a long illness and surgery ...
Thank you in advance for any feedback you might have .

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The 250w is a label, not a measure of performance. You can get very powerful 250w systems and very weak ones.

For climbing hills, you need torque, not power, though the more power you have, the faster you can climb. A tiny weak motor in a tiny wheel can get a very heavy rider up steep hills, while as a strong motor in a big wheel might struggle. It's a simple rule of mechanical advantage. If you used a motor to drive the chain or crank, the gearing becomes the key factor in climbing ability.

If you want to convert a normal bike to an ebike, look for one with disc brakes and a frame with a largish triangle. Upgrade the brakes to hydraulic ones, which gives a massive performance increase for very little cost and it only takes a few minutes to do.