Paulchen e-bike carrier

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
Has anybody used one of these carriers? I'm exploring all the options so we can carry two e-bikes. The Paulchen system seems reasonable price wise and they make a model for our car.

Although both our bikes would be under their weight limit the thought of the rack strapped to the back hatch concerns me.

Just wonder if anyone has any experience with them. The one I'd be interested in is this:

Again, many thanks.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Has anybody used one of these carriers? I'm exploring all the options so we can carry two e-bikes. The Paulchen system seems reasonable price wise and they make a model for our car.

Although both our bikes would be under their weight limit the thought of the rack strapped to the back hatch concerns me.

Just wonder if anyone has any experience with them. The one I'd be interested in is this:

Again, many thanks.
Probably OK if you don't go over 30 mph. I fitted a similar one to my Audi a few years ago. I normally got 60 mpg at 65 to 70 mph. I was worried about the wind force on the bike/rack/tailgate so I kept my speed down to 50 mph. I could really feel the drag, and I got 30 mpg for that 200 mile journey. On the way back, I took the front wheel off and stuffed the bike behind the front seats and got my normal 60 mpg. That one journey cost about £18 extra because of the rack. That was with one bike on it. I ust can't see two bikes being practical on that sort of rack, never mind the drag. It was bad enough sorting out just the one.

Reactions: Point Reyes

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
Probably OK if you don't go over 30 mph. I fitted a similar one to my Audi a few years ago. I normally got 60 mpg at 65 to 70 mph. I was worried about the wind force on the bike/rack/tailgate so I kept my speed down to 50 mph. I could really feel the drag, and I got 30 mpg for that 200 mile journey. On the way back, I took the front wheel off and stuffed the bike behind the front seats and got my normal 60 mpg. That one journey cost about £18 extra because of the rack. That was with one bike on it. I ust can't see two bikes being practical on that sort of rack, never mind the drag. It was bad enough sorting out just the one.
I guess any bike rack, even a towbar type, will affect drag. Did it feel secure and is it a pain to install? Once you've arrived at your destination you'd have to take it off to prevent theft too.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
We have a mondeo estate and I can put both ours inside with the seats folded and a platform over the first bike. Works a treat. But then that is what is so handy about the mondeo. A problem if you have a smaller car or non estate.

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
We have a mondeo estate and I can put both ours inside with the seats folded and a platform over the first bike. Works a treat. But then that is what is so handy about the mondeo. A problem if you have a smaller car or non estate.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work in our Auris but I'll take a look.

Thanks.