Range anxiety

HH66

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2018
Hi.
I came very close to draining my battery today - 56 miles on some fairly steep Cumbrian roads. I was cursing myself for not bringing my charger but then I wondered if I'd have been able to find a cafe/pub willing to charge my battery for an hour while I ate and drank. What are other peoples experiences of this? Are pub/cafe owners generally helpful if you offer a couple of quid or a donation for their charity box. Anybody ever asked and been refused?
Thanks

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Hi.
I came very close to draining my battery today - 56 miles on some fairly steep Cumbrian roads. I was cursing myself for not bringing my charger but then I wondered if I'd have been able to find a cafe/pub willing to charge my battery for an hour while I ate and drank. What are other peoples experiences of this? Are pub/cafe owners generally helpful if you offer a couple of quid or a donation for their charity box. Anybody ever asked and been refused?
Thanks
Eh ?

Consider how long a meaningful recharge will take ?

A standard charger would be 2Amp so you would only be able to put in maybe 17% capacity to a 10Ahr battery.

If you can hang around for a couple of hours or more to put a decent charge into a battery then fine, otherwise carry a spare (charged) battery.

Reactions: HH66

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hi.
Thanks
In 3100 miles of ebike touring, I have never been refused, and only once been charged for the electricity.

I always ask, not demand, make clear that I'll be having food and drink, that the electricity cost is pennies, that only the battery needs to come indoors, and that all I need is a standard plug socket, and usually there is no issue.

Best to have a 'fast' i.e. 4A or so charger, and a removable battery. On longer days before my solar trailer, I carried two batteries, two fast chargers and a short two way extension lead for 9.2A charging!

Maybe have a trial run before you need it to practice your lines!

I've charged twice in the Lakes, both last October. The village shop and cafe in Hesket Newmarket, and the Golden Rule in Ambleside.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Like MS, I've never been refused. Simply ask rather than assume it's okay, and always buy something... a meal, coffee and sandwich, beer... just something.

Like motorists that stop at a pub or cafe just to take a leak and buy nothing... it really cheeses the owners off.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
A standard charger would be 2Amp so you would only be able to put in maybe 17% capacity to a 10Ahr battery.
That’d be around 9 miles range which would probably be sufficient to allay most people’s worries. If he needed much more than that then it’s down to poor route planning.

HH66

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2018
That’d be around 9 miles range which would probably be sufficient to allay most people’s worries. If he needed much more than that then it’s down to poor route planning.
I have a 4 Amp charger so an hour's charge would give me a good few miles.
Yesterday's worry was partly down to poor route planning. I hadn't really factored in how much assistance I'd need for some of the hills. Live and learn.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
I have a 4 Amp charger so an hour's charge would give me a good few miles.
Yesterday's worry was partly down to poor route planning. I hadn't really factored in how much assistance I'd need for some of the hills. Live and learn.
Lol. Done it myself. Having estimated my max range on a number of 15-20 mile round trips, I headed off with a mate on a 30+ mile jaunt in the opposite direction. A few wrong turns and the elevation was around twice that of the cumulative trial runs so we were both on around 30% battery at the halfway stage. Fortunately, we had an escape plan that would have meant pushing the bikes up a steep but fairly short hill but eventually (fortified by cider) decided on the longer flatter route with the possibility of a walk of shame through the village.