Alternative to suspension forks?

BikingJules

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2023
Rather than have the weight of suspension forks added to an electric bike. Is there some kind of elastomer bung or something similar to a suspension seat post that’s light and takes the sting out of bumps please?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Rather than have the weight of suspension forks added to an electric bike. Is there some kind of elastomer bung or something similar to a suspension seat post that’s light and takes the sting out of bumps please?
It might be better if you explain what problem you're trying to solve rather than jump to a hypothetical solution. Do you have an ebike already that you want to improve? Are you wanting to buy one with a particular characteristic?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Suspension stems exist but they are costly for what they are, that said when fitted most people would not notice them.
Have a look at Redshift products to see what I mean.
Don't buy the China knock offs as they are rubbish.

Redshift claim the stem soaks up 70% of shocks from the road, the stem movement is only 20mm. One can adjust the stem tension via five sets of supplied elastomers.
I have one fitted to my Ute cargo bike and it works well, one hardly notices the movement.
Via the website one can get 10% off on a first order.

Last edited:
Reactions: BikingJules

BikingJules

Sep 1, 2023
It might be better if you explain what problem you're trying to solve rather than jump to a hypothetical solution. Do you have an ebike already that you want to improve? Are you wanting to buy one with a particular characteristic?
I’m looking for my elderly neighbour who has arthritis in her wrists. She struggles with the rough road vibration.
She doesn’t want it to be heavier. I lift it in and out of the car for her when it goes for service or, she meets family.
She just needs something to take out vibration. I told her I’d ask. Now she can tell the bike shop

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Big soft foam hand grips might help?
switching to a soft silicone grip from a rigid plastic type made a difference this end, and if a larger diameter could be found it would need less hand curl which may? be an issue , rolling up a piece of £shop closed cell foam camping mat between glove and grip secured with tape would work at a pinch.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tyres can also help , fit the widest tyre the forks can accomodate and then run said tyres at a slightly lower psi ( one would have to experiement as to how low).
A softer tyre will help to soak up vibrations and bumps though one also will have to be wary of snake bike puntures if psi is too low.

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
I found a short length of 6cm diameter pipe insulation secured with plastic electrical insulation tape worked so well (more comfortable grip) to temporarily replace a damaged grip, that I'm thinking of replacing the other conventional undamaged grip with another homemade one. Peter. PS Those Redshift suspension posts seem awfully expensive for what they are. I think I am going to have continue suffering a little - good for the soul I am told:cool:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It may be that adjustment to (or even replacement of) the handlebars would help; how swept back, and is the sweep level or does if slope down a little towards the rear? Also handlebars quite high so weight is all on the saddle. (In addition to the suggestions above)

For me, many bikes have handlebars that are too straight and that puts extra stress on the wrists. 30 degrees back and 10 degrees down is about right for me.

BikingJules

Sep 1, 2023
I found a short length of 6cm diameter pipe insulation secured with plastic electrical insulation tape worked so well (more comfortable grip) to temporarily replace a damaged grip, that I'm thinking of replacing the other conventional undamaged grip with another homemade one. Peter. PS Those Redshift suspension posts seem awfully expensive for what they are. I think I am going to have continue suffering a little - good for the soul I am told:cool:
Big soft foam hand grips might help?
switching to a soft silicone grip from a rigid plastic type made a difference this end, and if a larger diameter could be found it would need less hand curl which may? be an issue , rolling up a piece of £shop closed cell foam camping mat between glove and grip secured with tape would work at a pinch.
Thank you for your reply.
I will definitely tell her to try this. She added a swept back handlebar which really eased the painful gripping problem. I’ll let you know how she went on

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
After a badger broke my wrist (see video and X-ray befow) cycling was painful for ages, but eventually reduced a lot. I can't imagine pain reducing with arthritis, but I don't know much about arthritis. Anyway, someone at the time on this forum suggested these shock absorbing handlebar grips -

Halfords offer a cheaper product, but I have no idea if they're any good.

Beware of badgers! :eek:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I’m looking for my elderly neighbour who has arthritis in her wrists. She struggles with the rough road vibration.
She doesn’t want it to be heavier. I lift it in and out of the car for her when it goes for service or, she meets family.
She just needs something to take out vibration. I told her I’d ask. Now she can tell the bike shop
Slight progress, but I still haven't got the basics. You want a lighter bike because it's easier to lift - I get that. Do you already have an ebike that's too heavy, is it a non-electric bike that's too heavy, do you want to buy a light ebike or what? Rather than concentrate on one feature, why don't you look at other aspects of the bike that would make it lighter, then you can have suspension forks and the problem is solved.

BikingJules

Sep 1, 2023
After a badger broke my wrist (see video and X-ray befow) cycling was painful for ages, but eventually reduced a lot. I can't imagine pain reducing with arthritis, but I don't know much about arthritis. Anyway, someone at the time on this forum suggested these shock absorbing handlebar grips -

Halfords offer a cheaper product, but I have no idea if they're any good.

Beware of badgers! :eek:

View attachment 56549
Ouch !!!!
Damn Badgers.
Thank you for the info

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Depending on the bike, other parts can be changed to drop a fair bit of weight off it.

If it was relatively inexpensive, things like the cranks can be quite weighty. Forks on inexpensive bikes are nearly always suntour coil, which themselves weigh close to 6lbs. Wheels, even tyres where its a difference between wired and folding. Wired are heavier, or changing tyre width can alsoo knock off some weight.

Even things like the seatpost and saddle. Keep in mind though that a suss seatpost is usually a lot heavier than a standard seatpost, so if you want to swop for one, maybe look to swop out other parts to balance the added weight out.

A suspension stem will always knock a good chunk of weight off, but their suspension effect was never that good really, and not that comparable to a sus fork.

You dont have to splash the cash on new, there are plenty of high quality parts for cheap on ebay would make a good difference to the overall weight of the bike.

What bike is it incidentally ?, give us an idea of whats on it and maybe recommend some options on where weight can be removed and how much you can expect to pay. , but if you look at even a standard stem and rigid fork, you could be knocking 3lbs off it at the front.

BikingJules

Sep 1, 2023
It may be that adjustment to (or even replacement of) the handlebars would help; how swept back, and is the sweep level or does if slope down a little towards the rear? Also handlebars quite high so weight is all on the saddle. (In addition to the suggestions above)

For me, many bikes have handlebars that are too straight and that puts extra stress on the wrists. 30 degrees back and 10 degrees down is about right for me.
Thanks for your reply. I helped her change to back swept handlebars last month, massive difference to pain.

BikingJules

Sep 1, 2023
Many thanks for all the replies.
Foam has been added to the handlebar grips, padded MTB gloves, foldable tyres a bit bigger but lower pressure and, today’s ride was a success.
she said cheers.