Wisper Rear Brake Improvement - Suggestions Please

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I too use a dumb phone. It makes and receives calls and texts. It's wot fones are for innit?
Sometimes I work with a mate who has a phone connected to his watch ! Eh? Bloody thing's beepin and chirrupin all day as well as tracking his every move and probably telling him what he's doing wrong whilst selling his bank details on the dark web.
No thanks.
It's official - old gitness is alive and well:cool::p

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I too use a dumb phone. It makes and receives calls and texts. It's wot fones are for innit?
Sometimes I work with a mate who has a phone connected to his watch ! Eh? Bloody thing's beepin and chirrupin all day as well as tracking his every move and probably telling him what he's doing wrong whilst selling his bank details on the dark web.
No thanks.
It's official - old gitness is alive and well:cool::p
You can switch off all the beeping on both the watch and the phone. You can use a smartphone as just a phone if you want, or you can take photos with it, or you can use it for navigation (GPS), play music or any of the other functions. They're there if you want to use them, but you don't have to use them.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Squeal is usually down to vibration. So what in the system is vibrating ? Is there any play in the arms sitting on the canti pegs, as in can you waggle them in and out ? obviously im not meaning waggle them back and forth, as thats what they're supposed to do but towards the frame and away from it.

It looks like an inexpensive brake, so it might be a bit sloppy in the tolerances

Full set of LX here for cheap. you likely have the pads already.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
There are so many things that could be wrong:
  • The two arms are not vertical when the brake engages. Adjust with block spacers and washers.
  • The arms don't move symmetrically. Adjust with the tension screws on the side.
  • The rims are gunged up. Clean with petrol.
  • The cable doesn’t move freely. Lubricate or replace. Also, see last point.
  • The rim doesn’t run true. Re-tension the spokes.
  • The pivots are gunged up. Remove the arms and grease the pivots.
  • Wheel bearings are worn. Check the rim for sideways free-play.
  • The cable and noodle are being constrained or hampered from free movement. Nothing must touch the noodle nor the last 6" of cable. Racks are the worst offenders.
  • Outer cable is broken or squished somewhere. Check the whole length.
If I was going to bet, I'd go with the arms not vertical at the point of engagement and only one moves when you pull the brake lever, because that's what I see every time someone brings a bike with rim brakes to me.

That's all I can do because you've given us nothing to go on.
I have checked almost all of those items listed. Have also replaced inner cable. What I am beginning to suspect is the small extension to the outer cable at the end where the brakes are located. I suspect this is added to extend the length of the standard outer cable? Not entirely sure but have a feeling that this could be compressing slightly under pressure? Have been looking for an extra long outer cable and, if I can find one, replace it as a complete item and go from there.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Have been looking for an extra long outer cable and, if I can find one, replace it as a complete item and go from there.

I use this stuff - you can order up to 5m lengths, or longer of you message them.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Cameras cost virtually nothing these days:
Smartphones are even cheaper. You can use them for calls texts, internet at filming. Why would you want to use a Nokia 3210?
I just use a telephone for what it is intended. To make and receive calls and texts. Cameras are designed for taking pictures. Radios are designed for listening to music etc. I'm an 'old fashioned' guy and wouldn't want to spend a small fortune on a Smartphone that as all those extras that I would probably never use. I certainly wouldn't want to use the internet except when I'm at home where my laptop does that for me. My good old Nokia, which cost me less then £10 many years ago, works perfectly fine for me.

Reactions: Benjahmin

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I use this stuff - you can order up to 5m lengths, or longer of you message them.

I've just taken a look and it's gear cable. Not wide enough for brake cables I believe?

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've just taken a look and it's gear cable. Not wide enough for brake cables I believe?
Well spotted, apologies wrong link, thanks @Waspy! I also use that brake outer cable.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I just use a telephone for what it is intended. To make and receive calls and texts. Cameras are designed for taking pictures. Radios are designed for listening to music etc. I'm an 'old fashioned' guy and wouldn't want to spend a small fortune on a Smartphone that as all those extras that I would probably never use. I certainly wouldn't want to use the internet except when I'm at home where my laptop does that for me. My good old Nokia, which cost me less then £10 many years ago, works perfectly fine for me.
It doesn't. Your brake problem would probably have been solved in 5 minutes if you had taken a quick vide.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Webcams can record both video and photos to upload, even the £1 ones. £2 webcams are usually better. I suggest buying a Logitech within your price range, which has driver and software support for whatever the operating system is on your laptop, as they're usually pretty good.

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=webcam&sortBy=price_asc

Last edited:

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
It doesn't. Your brake problem would probably have been solved in 5 minutes if you had taken a quick vide.
What doesn't?

As I mentioned I don't have access to a camera to take a video. If that's what you mean? I have an old Konica battery operated digital camera somewhere in the wardrobe. If I can find it I'll take some pictures

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
What doesn't?

As I mentioned I don't have access to a camera to take a video. If that's what you mean? I have an old Konica battery operated digital camera somewhere in the wardrobe. If I can find it I'll take some pictures
Go for it.. pictures HELP EVERYONE see the same thing.. my digital camera (panasonic lumix) is always at hand when doing anything bike, if in doubt take a snap and you can put it back as it was etc.. and often blowing up a pic on the tv screen helps me see stuff i would have otherwise missed.. as well as posting pics here as and when ..

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Go for it.. pictures HELP EVERYONE see the same thing.. my digital camera (panasonic lumix) is always at hand when doing anything bike, if in doubt take a snap and you can put it back as it was etc.. and often blowing up a pic on the tv screen helps me see stuff i would have otherwise missed.. as well as posting pics here as and when ..
I'll have to dig it out then and get some batteries and go from there. Not entirely sure what anyone wants to see? The brake cantilevers? The cables? The handbrake levers?

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Squeal is usually down to vibration. So what in the system is vibrating ? Is there any play in the arms sitting on the canti pegs, as in can you waggle them in and out ? obviously im not meaning waggle them back and forth, as thats what they're supposed to do but towards the frame and away from it.

It looks like an inexpensive brake, so it might be a bit sloppy in the tolerances

Full set of LX here for cheap. you likely have the pads already.

I cured the 'squeal' some time ago. I purchased a brake pad setting tool which set the 'toe in' correctly, which in turn stopped the squeal completely. The front and rear brakes worked perfectly, and efficiently for several months until recently.

Brake Tool.jpg

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
From the picture it looks like your pads have worn low and allowed the brake arm to contact the mudguard.
Nope. There is plenty of clearance when the lever is pulled and the pads are in contact with the rim. Those are the old pads I've reinstalled yesterday. They're hardly worn but replaced them with some other pads, one of which was Clarkes. They're all very much the same in operation.