Wisper Rear Brake Improvement - Suggestions Please

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
So how much space between the brake arms and mudguard when the brake is pulled? looks like the mudguard is an obstacle

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
So how much space between the brake arms and mudguard when the brake is pulled? looks like the mudguard is an obstacle
I have just double-checked this and when the lever is pulled and the pads are fully in contact with the rim I can easily get my index finger between each brake arm and mudguard. Also, I can get a coin between the cable and the top of the mudguard. This obviously shouldn't be the cause of the issue I wouldn't have thought. Good idea though! It's just the way the picture as been taken.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
We need to see them working by video. Photos hardly show anything.

What I can see is that one pad is only half on the rim and the other looks like it's touching the tyre. Also, the noodle doesn't look the right shape. It should turn a right-angle.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flash

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009

What I can see is that one pad is only half on the rim and the other looks like it's touching the tyre.
It took me ages to get my Son to take photos. When he calls again I can get him to take a video. I assume his phone will do that? The pads are not touching the tyre. I use a brake alignment tool as shown in picture. This sits between the pad and rim to set the 'toe in'. There is also an edge where it sits below the tyre. This ensures there is no contact whatsoever with the tyre itself.

Brake Tool.jpg

Last edited:

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Just an update everyone. Today I purchased another set of v-brakes. These are a little longer overall than the originals. They just about fit underneath the rear rack mount but create a little more room above the mudguard. They're also a little wider in design where the cables attach, thus giving a little more leverage overall I think? I have refitted the old brake pads as they're longer overall and create more contact with the rim itself. These seem to be working fine now but will probably need to 'bed in' I suppose to be more efficient? That's the situation for the moment anyway! Thanks everyone for your kind advice.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009

What I can see is that one pad is only half on the rim and the other looks like it's touching the tyre. Also, the noodle doesn't look the right shape. It should turn a right-angle.
The noodles on this bike are flexible and not the ninety degree fixed type

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The noodles on this bike are flexible and not the ninety degree fixed type
That might be part of the problem. The idea of the noodle is to turn the inner cable through 90 deg so that the inner cable lines up at both ends, but if you look at yours, there is a clear angle between the noodle and the cable exit at both ends. That means that the cable is restricted and rubbing where it goes in and out of the noodle.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
That might be part of the problem. The idea of the noodle is to turn the inner cable through 90 deg so that the inner cable lines up at both ends, but if you look at yours, there is a clear angle between the noodle and the cable exit at both ends. That means that the cable is restricted and rubbing where it goes in and out of the noodle.
Ok. I understand. Have been suspicious of this from the start. I just thought that is how Wisper designed these? I have some spare noodles and, when the new outer brake cable arrives, I'll swap them over and see if that improves the issue. Thanks

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If I was going to bet, I'd go with the arms not vertical at the point of engagement and only one moves when you pull the brake lever, because that's what I see every time someone brings a bike with rim brakes to me.
That's what the V-brakes were like on my secondhand bike. Just needed a clean, new inner and outer cables, adjustment, new brake pads.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That's what the V-brakes were like on my secondhand bike. Just needed a clean, new cables inner and outer, new brake pads.
They're always like that. I have 5 friends who visit me regularly and have ordinary bikes with those same sort of brakes. I check and adjust them every time they visit with their bikes. Those brakes are just a PITA. The other type of rim brakes that you get on road bikes are fine. They hardly ever need adjustment - just an occasional cable adjustment to compensate for pad wear. Why do they always use that type on road bikes and the V-brakes for MTBs. Is it because they're worried about getting dirt and mud in the mechanism of caliper brakes? Surely, they can make bigger ones to wrap around MTB tyres?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
They're always like that. I have 5 friends who visit me regularly and have ordinary bikes with those same sort of brakes. I check and adjust them every time they visit with their bikes. Those brakes are just a PITA.
That sounds as bad as being known among one's friends, as the dude who "Knows something about computers". I think I like the faulty computers more than my friends that own them.

The other type of rim brakes that you get on road bikes are fine. They hardly ever need adjustment - just an occasional cable adjustment to compensate for pad wear. Why do they always use that type on road bikes and the V-brakes for MTBs. Is it because they're worried about getting dirt and mud in the mechanism of caliper brakes? Surely, they can make bigger ones to wrap around MTB tyres?
Weight weenitude, aesthetics, and cost?

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Just an update peeps. Have now replaced the rear inner and outer brake cable and also replaced the flexible noodle with a rigid right angled one. On closer inspection of the flexible noodle it looks like the inner nylon cable cover (not sure what else to call this) is a little longer than it should be? Not noticing this before I can only assume that when adjusting the pressure on the cable / brakes this was preventing the cable sitting correctly. Thus, when pressure is applied to the brake lever, the nylon is compressing slightly before the outer cable itself, resulting in less overall pressure on the wheel rim. Now. I am only making a guesstimate here. I may be wrong but it seems to make sense to me?

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
glad your sorted, see how pictures helped..
Thanks. I'm sure not going to invest in an expensive smartphone just so I can take a few pictures from time to time. I suppose I'll just have to get my Son to take some pictures should I need help in the future? Thanks to all.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
No doubt we could sink many a pint while listing reasons to dislike smartphones,( and i would bet my bike i can trump ya ..) but i do urge you to dust off the digital camera, I was due to get bad cataracts operated on in march 2020 after they had steadily gotten worse in the previous 2 yrs.. even on the 2"-3" display of the camera i could magnify food labels on the go etc, and being able to blow things up on the tv screen helped greatly.. and when it comes to getting forum help.. well we all know how that goes.. ;)

Finally got the eye ops early last yr.. both eyes now clear.. though after a few years with useless glasses i keep forgetting to wear mine now.. tho i have only had a working prescription for a few months. Long post op adjustment period...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Just an update peeps. Have now replaced the rear inner and outer brake cable and also replaced the flexible noodle with a rigid right angled one. On closer inspection of the flexible noodle it looks like the inner nylon cable cover (not sure what else to call this) is a little longer than it should be? Not noticing this before I can only assume that when adjusting the pressure on the cable / brakes this was preventing the cable sitting correctly. Thus, when pressure is applied to the brake lever, the nylon is compressing slightly before the outer cable itself, resulting in less overall pressure on the wheel rim. Now. I am only making a guesstimate here. I may be wrong but it seems to make sense to me?
The flexible noodle insert also caused poor braking performance on my secondhand bike - I simply cut the section of insert causing the problem off. The outer cables were gummed up within, had to be replaced. The inner cables were higher friction rough surfaced galvanised, others were plain rusty steel, so I replaced those with smooth stainless steel. Along with replacing all outer cables, I also replaced the end ferrules, mostly with stainless steel versions.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thanks. I'm sure not going to invest in an expensive smartphone just so I can take a few pictures from time to time. I suppose I'll just have to get my Son to take some pictures should I need help in the future? Thanks to all.
You said you have a Konica camera.

As I mentioned I don't have access to a camera to take a video. If that's what you mean? I have an old Konica battery operated digital camera somewhere in the wardrobe. If I can find it I'll take some pictures

Some old Konicas were able to shoot video.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
My 'expensive' Samsumg smartphone costs me £10/month = £2.50/week = 35p a day.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Having bought my oukittel smart phone for about £80 new on ebay, it costs me about £20 - £30 a year to use with a 1p mobile minimum top up.
Camera is a bit crap but there are settings for it so prob can be improved.

My main camera is a an old finepix s5800 with zoom built in, must be about 14 /15 years old at least and produces some nice pics still.

• Agree
Reactions: flash

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
My 'expensive' Samsumg smartphone costs me £10/month = £2.50/week = 35p a day.
That's fair enough. I just don't have any need to buy a phone and waste money on extra charges. My old Nokia does me fine and costs me just £5 per month.