Wisper Rear Brake Improvement - Suggestions Please

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
glad your sorted, see how pictures helped..

Fair comment. And thanks. Took the bike out last night for our darts match. Wow. What a difference. The rear brakes are so sharp now. Almost as good as the front. I will have to dig out my old Konica KD20M and invest in some rechargeable batteries for future use. Not sure if it as a cable to connect to my old laptop though? Thanks everyone

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Fair comment. And thanks. Took the bike out last night for our darts match. Wow. What a difference. The rear brakes are so sharp now. Almost as good as the front. I will have to dig out my old Konica KD20M and invest in some rechargeable batteries for future use. Not sure if it as a cable to connect to my old laptop though? Thanks everyone
For the price of the batteries, you can buy a used smartphone from Ebay or Facebook that will be a lot more useful than your measly 2.1mp Konica camera, and probably take better photos too.

There is no sensible reason not to have a smartphone. If you had one and had taken a short video of your brakes, your problem could have been solved without having to waste money on longer arms. Your argument about your £10 phone doesn't hold water when you do that.

Also, it's inconsiderate that you want to waste our time having to explain every possibility in 4 pages of replies, when it could have been sorted in minutes. I'm glad they're working now.

Last edited:

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
For the price of the batteries, you can buy a used smartphone from Ebay or Facebook that will be a lot more useful than your Finepix camera, and probably take better photos too.

There is no sensible reason not to have a smartphone. If you had one and had taken a short video of your brakes, your problem could have been solved without having to waste money on longer arms. Your argument about your £10 phone doesn't hold water when you do that.

Also, it's inconsiderate that you want to waste our time having to explain every possibility in 4 pages of replies, when it could have been sorted in minutes. I'm glad they're working now.
Why does everyone seem to want a so called smartphone? I, personally, have no use for them whatsoever. I don't want a phone with a camera, messenger, facebook, emails and so on. They are simply just not for me. As long as I can make the odd telephone call or text message, then that's it! Fair enough. If I'd known pictures were that important to some then I would've got my Son to take a few pics before posting. I wasn't being inconsiderate in any way. All questions are important in any form. I just posted a question hoping to get an answer from someone who may have had a similar issue. Thank you all again

Reactions: Nealh and Sturmey

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Why does everyone seem to want a so called smartphone? I, personally, have no use for them whatsoever. I don't want a phone with a camera, messenger, facebook, emails and so on. They are simply just not for me. As long as I can make the odd telephone call or text message, then that's it! Fair enough. If I'd known pictures were that important to some then I would've got my Son to take a few pics before posting. I wasn't being inconsiderate in any way. All questions are important in any form. I just posted a question hoping to get an answer from someone who may have had a similar issue. Thank you all again
You do have a use for one. You couldn't take any pictures!!!!!!!!

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
That's fair enough. I just don't have any need to buy a phone and waste money on extra charges. My old Nokia does me fine and costs me just £5 per month.
And yet here you are in need of one to assist other people to sort a problem youre having.

The bottom line is here is at least one instance where being able to film something would have helped considerably, but there are other cases and times where having a phone capable of recording evidence would be extremely helpful.
Say you were in an accident, or someone in a car bumped your fence, your bike or your car and went to drive off without supplying any details. No photographic evidence, then you can whistle Dixie for all the good that will do.

Smart phones have many other uses to. from helpful apps, like maps, or satellite navigation tools. All in all they are something that is helpful to the owner.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have no land line as it has been disconnected so have to have a phone of some sort. I opted to buy one because of the apps as well, very handy to use when aligned with my refractor telescope for celestial work.
Also I get regular texts now on my portfolio of investments, NHS appointements , credit card payment reminders etc, etc. I barely use it to make calls or send texts, though calls are free if the recipient also has what's upp and I use the call feature on it.

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Hi Chris301up, I resisted a smart phone for years as I didn’t need one. Then a mate got a cheap one he couldn’t get to work so gave it to me just when my old phone packed up. The problem was a simple one, he forgot to top up his new sim . Put my sim in and have been using it ever since. I just didn’t realise how helpful a smartphone can be, even a dirt cheap one. I now get library books electronically on the phone. I reset the typeface to dyslexic making it easier for me to read and it’s great having a book with me when queuing in a waiting room at my NHS appointments. I can use WhatsApp to talk long distance to my sister for free. I’ve had £3 credit on my pay as you go sim for weeks now. Use maps to find when I’m lost after taking a wrong turn in a strange place. Then the obvious internet and camera uses. I wouldn’t want to be without a smartphone now.
But of course just because some of us think they’re great it’s still your prerogative to resist them. I did for years.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
You do have a use for one. You couldn't take any pictures!!!!!!!!
Thats fair comment I suppose? Mt
Hi Chris301up, I resisted a smart phone for years as I didn’t need one. Then a mate got a cheap one he couldn’t get to work so gave it to me just when my old phone packed up. The problem was a simple one, he forgot to top up his new sim . Put my sim in and have been using it ever since. I just didn’t realise how helpful a smartphone can be, even a dirt cheap one. I now get library books electronically on the phone. I reset the typeface to dyslexic making it easier for me to read and it’s great having a book with me when queuing in a waiting room at my NHS appointments. I can use WhatsApp to talk long distance to my sister for free. I’ve had £3 credit on my pay as you go sim for weeks now. Use maps to find when I’m lost after taking a wrong turn in a strange place. Then the obvious internet and camera uses. I wouldn’t want to be without a smartphone now.
But of course just because some of us think they’re great it’s still your prerogative to resist them. I did for years.

Thank you for the sentiment. Maybe I'll give in to peer pressure at some point? But, for the moment I'm happy as I am. I'm glad you found one useful and beneficial. I just don't have any need, at the moment, for one. Okay. Perhaps one would've been useful to take 1/2 dozen pictures. But that's all the photography I would've needed it for. Until the next time. Which could of course be several years away? One of the bonuses is that no-one will want to rob mine off me :D Each to their own. Maybe I'll enter the 21st century at some point :(

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Each to their own. Maybe I'll enter the 21st century at some point :(
I think like yourself sometimes. Been on this site long enough, surrounded by bikes of every type that it does make you think of what you are riding, and whether you should join the modern era.

As such Im seriously considering getting those things they call pedals.

Me out for ride on my bike ...LLPNRYCP4BWJUUO4HIZRPFB52A.jpg

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Thats fair comment I suppose? Mt

Thank you for the sentiment. Maybe I'll give in to peer pressure at some point? But, for the moment I'm happy as I am. I'm glad you found one useful and beneficial. I just don't have any need, at the moment, for one. Okay. Perhaps one would've been useful to take 1/2 dozen pictures. But that's all the photography I would've needed it for. Until the next time. Which could of course be several years away? One of the bonuses is that no-one will want to rob mine off me :D Each to their own. Maybe I'll enter the 21st century at some point :(
Your not on your own. My old Nokia flip phone that I had for over 10 years broke down last year and replaced it with a Doro G2 flip (dumb)phone. Small and compact with large text and only needs charging every week or so. It is possible to live without a smart phone.

Reactions: robert44

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I'm with Chris in this. I can't remember the last time I topped up my pay as you go sim on my £30 dumb phone, 'cos I rarely use it. Had the same number since 2020, it's on the side of my van for customers to phone, if I'm somewhere where there's actually a signal.
Last weekend the EE network was down until Monday morning. Chaos - people were actually having to use cash:eek: because the card terminals weren't working. The building reliance and ubiquity of these devices is worrying. If we were to go wholly digital, what happens if the network goes down or is restricted?
I have a dumb 'phone, land line, sat nav in the van and seperate digital camera that loads picture via usb - I can handle that. The only social medjia site I'm on is this one, so I don't get phased by likes or dislikes. I carry and use cash and keep some spare around.
Atavistic throw back? Maybe, but it works for me Ta very much.

• :D
Reactions: robert44

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I'm with Chris in this. I can't remember the last time I topped up my pay as you go sim on my £30 dumb phone, 'cos I rarely use it. Had the same number since 2020, it's on the side of my van for customers to phone, if I'm somewhere where there's actually a signal.
Last weekend the EE network was down until Monday morning. Chaos - people were actually having to use cash:eek: because the card terminals weren't working. The building reliance and ubiquity of these devices is worrying. If we were to go wholly digital, what happens if the network goes down or is restricted?
I have a dumb 'phone, land line, sat nav in the van and seperate digital camera that loads picture via usb - I can handle that. The only social medjia site I'm on is this one, so I don't get phased by likes or dislikes. I carry and use cash and keep some spare around.
Nice one Benjahmin. I too, only use cash. If they won't accept it, I don't buy it. In my locality a couple of weeks ago, cash machines all over the area went down. Even the one's in the shops. And, as all banks have now closed down too, they couldn't get money. Shoppers had no idea what the hell to do. The mind boggles!

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
First Work gave me a pager, then a brick sized phone, later i was on a rotation with 2 others covering 24hour support for clinical systems in hospitals up and down the nation. And while im pleased to report no one ever had to field an out of hours emergency call , we all fely the pressure when 'IT'.

But when 'IT' every time the phone rang my heart would skip a beat. Very few people had the 'emergency' number, Every Fuc^^^ called me at least once for nothing regardless of dire warnings NOT TO.

I LURVE not having to carry a fone everywhere,, its great to have a phone in a drawer and only slot in a sim card when I want a phone for MY convenience..

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Smartphone call and data charges are the same as a dumb phone. The type of phone makes no difference, so your £30 would last exactly the same time.

Smartphone is the same size as a dumb one, and it can do everything a dumb one can do, but it has a lot of other features all in the same packet. As far as I'm concerned, there's no logical reason not to have a smartphone these days. It's all advantages and no disadvantages. Older smartphones cost nearly nothing

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Smartphone call and data charges are the same as a dumb phone. The type of phone makes no difference, so your £30 would last exactly the same time.

Smartphone is the same size as a dumb one, and it can do everything a dumb one can do, but it has a lot of other features all in the same packet. As far as I'm concerned, there's no logical reason not to have a smartphone these days. It's all advantages and no disadvantages. Older smartphones cost nearly nothing

Yes. But not all of us want other features. Just calls and texts. Thats it. If a smartphone is what you want? Then great. But it simply isn't for all of us.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Yes. But not all of us want other features. Just calls and texts. Thats it. If a smartphone is what you want? Then great. But it simply isn't for all of us.
You don't seem to be getting it. When you have a smartphone, you don't have to use all the features. You just use what you need to, but the other features are there if ever you want them - like Torch, GPS, maps, navigation, free calls on VOIP, Google search, internet, films, music, forum, camera, calendar, health, bike ride logging, door bell, security camera, weather,shopping, news and radio. There is absolutely no downside to having one. You already need a camera. You can buy a smartphone that's easier to use, makes better photos and costs less than fixing the camera you have, even if you don't use it for phone calls..

Suppose you have an accident or you witness some event. How would you record it without always having a camera to hand?

Yes, you can stay alive without one, but that's the same as saying you can live in a tent and catch and grow your food, but humanity has moved on from there. The same argument is why have a bike when you can walk? It's because the bike is better. And why have an electric bike when you can have an ordinary one?

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020

But dont worry, theres no harm in being a luddite.

• Dislike
Reactions: robert44 and Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
But dont worry, theres no harm in being a luddite.
One thing that is wrong with this forum and has reduced it's appeal , a use of a derogatory term to someone who doesn't conform to others way of life.

Chris has stated his reasons so why can't the forum just accept Chris's reasoning without being rude to him.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I thought twas a compliment !
Pass the 'phone, I need to look up luddite. Damnation................pass the dictionary old chap.:cool:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Lud·dite
[ˈlʌdʌɪt]
noun
Luddites (plural noun)
  1. derogatory
    a person opposed to new technology or ways of working:
    "a small-minded Luddite resisting progress" ·