Help! Pembleton Somersby help needed

jigginjim

Just Joined
Mar 21, 2024
Hi all, so after the bike being off road for about 3 months, but kept in a well insulated garage, my wifes 18 month old Somersby has a problem. The battery appears to be fully charged with the 4 indicator lights reading 100% and the light on the charger is green, but we have no power at the handlebar unit 'ON' button. I checked the 2 15amp fuses in the battery pack and inspected the wiring, everything looks fine.

Can anyone give me any tips about how to test the battery? I disconnected it yesterday and there are + and - terminals with some letter indexed terminals (think there are 3) in the middle? Is it likely that the battery could be knackered and still show 100% on the charge indicators?

Thanks, Jamie

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Battery sleep mode comes to mind .
In the manual might be something often one has to either temporary connect the charger to wake the BMS up or depress the on/off sw for 10 secs or so.
I recall that Halfrauds recommend to wake up said battery by connecting the charger , turn the mains charger on first before attempting so one doesn't get the contact sparking.

jigginjim

Just Joined
Mar 21, 2024
Battery sleep mode comes to mind .
In the manual might be something often one has to either temporary connect the charger to wake the BMS up or depress the on/off sw for 10 secs or so.
I recall that Halfrauds recommend to wake up said battery by connecting the charger , turn the mains charger on first before attempting so one doesn't get the contact sparking.
Thanks Nealh, I did charge the battery at the weekend up to 100% after it sitting in the garage for the worst of the winter. Battery was showing around 40% when stored. Would that charge not have woke up the BMS?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Before anything, press and hold the battery button for say 20 seconds to see if it wakes up.

The control panel gets its power directly from the battery, so if it doesn't switch on, either the battery is not giving out power (switched off) or the path is interrupted between the battery and the control panel.

First, test the voltage on the battery terminals, if that has above 40v, it should be OK. Next open up the controller compartment at the front of the battery and test in there. There is a cable that runs from the controller to the control panel that has a connector near the controller, which you should check too after the other checks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes two years on the battery.