Giant energypak 500 battery self diagnostic test

Clive Norwell

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 16, 2017
Tiverton
Hi all

I am trying to find information on the Giant energypak 500 battery self diagnostic test, when pressing and hold the button on the battery for 8 seconds it starts the self test, everything seems ok until I press it for the 5th time, the 4th and 5th battery lights light up and then the 1st light flashes 3 times and not all 5 lights as previously, can anybody tell me what this indicates as the bike will not run.
When I switch the bike on the display shows all the LED lights flash 3 times and then the second LED on the battery indicator keeps flashing.

Any advice is gratefully received

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
If you're worried, you need to take it to your dealer to run a battery test. Giant offer silly guarantees of 1000 cycles to 80%, which IMHO can be optimistic given the abuse some put their batteries through, but even so, you'll likely be well covered if there's anything iffy with it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it would have a 2 year warranty but if it is not working or charging it is a bin job becouse they use can bus programming and they wont sell the bms the cells connect to.

you also cant use a 3rd party bms either as it wont have the can bus programming to talk to the motor controller and display.

Clive Norwell

Sep 16, 2017
Tiverton
Thanks Soundwave, the battery charges to 41.7v without any issues, so it looks as though the cells are ok, I tried it on another Giant and it came up with an error code on that one too, if I could just find out what the 5th cycle error code is then I might have a better understanding of how to fix it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you will need a giant dealer with the software or try here http://www.eastgatecycles.co.uk/

he is the only giant dealer round here and is closing down at end of the month but might know whats up with it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there was a problem with them a couple of years ago where the chargers was over charging them and bricking the bms.

is there no giant dealer local you could take the bike to and get it plugged in ?

Clive Norwell

Sep 16, 2017
Tiverton
I've just swapped the battery onto a Giant twist I've just bought and it works fine, it has the same handlebar controls so I think I'l swap them out tomorrow and see what happens, any known issues with the Yamaha motor that could cause these issues ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
giant use the yamaha motor but they use there own can bus controllers ect so all you can go off is the error codes.

say if my bike gets a error 500 bosch btw it could mean 73 different things.

all you can do is try a new display or a wire has got pinched somewhere in the frame which is a pita and does happen alot even o brand new high end bikes.

Clive Norwell

Sep 16, 2017
Tiverton
The displays have different connections on them, I did find that the flashing second battery light indicates a faulty pedal plus sensor but would that stop the bike from running?

Clive Norwell

Sep 16, 2017
Tiverton
Sorry, it's a Giant Prime with a Yamaha mid drive, I've since found out that the twist display has another connection mid way down the frame so I took that display and connected to the Prime and the same light flashed indicating the pedal plus sensor, I've now stripped the 3 wires back on the pedal sensor and have just over 5v on the red and blue wires and 5v -0v on the green wire when I pass a magnet over it.
I'm guessing the next step is inside the motor itself ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Sorry, it's a Giant Prime with a Yamaha mid drive, I've since found out that the twist display has another connection mid way down the frame so I took that display and connected to the Prime and the same light flashed indicating the pedal plus sensor, I've now stripped the 3 wires back on the pedal sensor and have just over 5v on the red and blue wires and 5v -0v on the green wire when I pass a magnet over it.
I'm guessing the next step is inside the motor itself ?
What you're saying doesn't make sense. The Yamaha has a triple sensor system. The sensors are inside the motor apart from the speed sensor. Did you open the motor? Which exact bike do you have?

Clive Norwell

Sep 16, 2017
Tiverton
I haven't opened the motor yet, I was testing the speed sensor on the back wheel, the bike is a Prime E+, not sure what number but has the Yamaha X94B2 mid drive motor.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Be really sure there is nothing simple wrong before you open the motor.

I don't know specifics for Yamaha, but on my Shimano, if there is a problem with the sensor that detects the rear wheel spoke magnet, the bike will show an error code and not work.

It has to have the wheel sensor data to calculate speed, and it has to have that to enforce 25km/h. Buy a new wheel sensor and try that before opening the motor!

Clive Norwell

Sep 16, 2017
Tiverton
I think I can rule out the wheel sensor as I'm getting a 5v -0v when I pass a magnet over it, just need to find out which sensor in the motor is causing the issue and hopefully I can find the part to replace it.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think I can rule out the wheel sensor as I'm getting a 5v -0v when I pass a magnet over it
When you say getting a 5v -0v when I pass a magnet over it; did you do that test with the wheel magnet itself, or just passing some other magnet over the sensor? The distance between the wheel magnet and the sensor as it passes is also important; too far is definitely a problem, and even too close can stop some systems behaving right.

Clive Norwell

Sep 16, 2017
Tiverton
I passed the magnet over it several times at diffeent distances off the bike, before I stipped it down I also added 2mm thick earth magnets to the spoke magnet but that didn't stop the control from flashing number 2 battery light, does anybody have a parts list for the Yamaha motor ?