What cargo Ebike do you recommend?

faulxthriftber96508

Just Joined
Mar 26, 2024
I wanted a cargo bike that could handle steep hills. And the cruising range needs to be sufficient, and you don’t want to keep calculating when you need to go home because of the battery. Sometimes I need to be able to carry my children for short trips, so the load capacity cannot be too low, at least more than 100 pounds.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Steep hills and heavy loads points you at the mid-drive bikes like Tern GSD, Momentum PakYak. The Tern uses the Bosch CargoLine motor, specifically developed for cargo bike use. The PakYak uses the well regarded Yamaha.

I know regular users of both those bikes, whose main purpose is carrying two kids to school and nursery, and both kids and rider are blown away by how good the experience is. They have no previous ebike history, their comparison is car, and they prefer the bike.

But they are not cheap. About £4k the PakYak and £5k+ for the GSD.

The third bike type I see round here is the three wheeler with a big front cargo container and hub motor. In most conditions they are no doubt fine, but the image that sticks in my mind is a rider in bottom gear struggling up a short, sharp hill at below walking pace with two kids on board. A speed where the rider is doing most of the work. Not fun on the school run.

If you want to go the potentially much cheaper hub motor route, make sure you fully understand the fully laden performance on your local hills.

And the fourth type is a Shimano mid-drive two wheeler with a smaller front cargo box. Not for kids, haven't seen it in use much, but goes OK as far as I can see.

Money no object, I'd be choosing the Tern, but like all eBikes, there's about 30% in that price I don't want to be paying!

On range, Tern has the Bosch two battery kit already installed, although the second battery is an extra. Pakyak has a lockable storage box which might take a second battery.

faulxthriftber96508

Just Joined
Mar 26, 2024
Steep hills and heavy loads points you at the mid-drive bikes like Tern GSD, Momentum PakYak. The Tern uses the Bosch CargoLine motor, specifically developed for cargo bike use. The PakYak uses the well regarded Yamaha.

I know regular users of both those bikes, whose main purpose is carrying two kids to school and nursery, and both kids and rider are blown away by how good the experience is. They have no previous ebike history, their comparison is car, and they prefer the bike.

But they are not cheap. About £4k the PakYak and £5k+ for the GSD.

The third bike type I see round here is the three wheeler with a big front cargo container and hub motor. In most conditions they are no doubt fine, but the image that sticks in my mind is a rider in bottom gear struggling up a short, sharp hill at below walking pace with two kids on board. A speed where the rider is doing most of the work. Not fun on the school run.

If you want to go the potentially much cheaper hub motor route, make sure you fully understand the fully laden performance on your local hills.

And the fourth type is a Shimano mid-drive two wheeler with a smaller front cargo box. Not for kids, haven't seen it in use much, but goes OK as far as I can see.

Money no object, I'd be choosing the Tern, but like all eBikes, there's about 30% in that price I don't want to be paying!

On range, Tern has the Bosch two battery kit already installed, although the second battery is an extra. Pakyak has a lockable storage box which might take a second battery.
Your advice has made me yearn for a cargo bike. I think the kids would love it too as it's a totally different experience. I can already imagine how exciting it would be to take the kids around on a bike. I personally love the design of the GSD, but the price has me stumped. I wonder if there are more cost-effective options out there.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Your advice has made me yearn for a cargo bike. I think the kids would love it too as it's a totally different experience. I can already imagine how exciting it would be to take the kids around on a bike. I personally love the design of the GSD, but the price has me stumped. I wonder if there are more cost-effective options out there.
Perhaps search regularly for used? Or convert something suitable?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326073449942

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395166631624

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Which part of UK are you in, and can you manage £2.5K quickly?

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I wanted a cargo bike that could handle steep hills. And the cruising range needs to be sufficient, and you don’t want to keep calculating when you need to go home because of the battery. Sometimes I need to be able to carry my children for short trips, so the load capacity cannot be too low, at least more than 100 pounds.
We need more to go on, such as price range /budget.
Childrens age , size &approx weight.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Someone didn't think that one through: crank motor, no gears and 20" wheels.
A cute but puny and fragile ickle torque sensored TSDZ2 wouldn't be my choice for such a heavy looking mono-geared bike and application... but there must be oodles of cargo bikes suitable for conversion by the OP out there somewhere, ready and waiting to commence a whole other more exciting and useful life. For less than a total cost of £5,000 odd.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
The problem is these things are expensive(as you know) but the point is you are replacing a car, and cars arent cheap either.
Plus its for carrying your children, so with that in mind its a case of you really must be looking at the better quality.

Tern longtails are excellent, but many in the continent favour the front box type.

You should maybe also consider something like a Riese and Muller 'packster' or transporter 65(£4649) or the larger transporter 85(£4829)
Bosch drive system, which is considered by many as the industry leader for mid drives(shimano more definitely is not, in fact i'd avoid shimano if i were you). Decent parts throughout. Very good quality rear gearing hub- no oily chains/everything contained.
+ you can see what the kids are doing, though maybe need to watch the sweeter contents of any shopping bags.

23_f00825_transporter_65_white_box_persenning_0631_1860x1240.jpg__930x620_q100_subject_locatio...jpg23_hlf_transporter_65_box_kindersitz.jpg99_11_detail.jpg.695x464_q80_upscale.jpg

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Yesterday on Ebay:

Screenshot_20240409-090112_Chrome.jpg

If I wasn't 600+ miles away, I'd have been tempted.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I'm wondering why that seller's rating is only 50%. Only feedback from the past 12 months is visible - click feedback as seller tab.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/fdbk/feedback_profile/swandale1995?user_context=BUYER
Says the seller wouldnt honour the win, which was £4100
Given that particular model is I think 9k, i can maybe understand why, but still its a bit confusing as to why he's got a low start and no reserve. If he wants 5 or 6k for it do a buy it now.
Thus

skinofstars

Just Joined
Apr 15, 2024
I live in Birmingham so maybe £2.5K is acceptable.
I also live in Birmingham. I have a Larry vs Harry Bullitt, currently without a motor. It can be a bit of a slog when it's fully laden, but otherwise I tend not to stress it on the hills. It's a really well made bike, so I love riding it.

If you don't mind travelling, there's an electric one for sale in Edinburgh for £2.5k

There's also the Bike Foundary in Stirchley that's selling them new.