Ebike life

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
E-bike can last even a 100 years if you look after it.
On this forum we promote bikes that are repairable and discourage people from buying disposable bikes. Unfortunately there are very expensive bikes out there on the market designed to last few years only.

BTW Link you posted doesn't work.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Our tandem is 12 years old, for half of that it has had a Woosh XF07 conversion.
Our Motus (Bosch drive) is 8 years old, we bought it when it was about 2.

No electric related costs in that time, until I recently replaced batteries on both. Neither completely dead, but clearly deteriorating. I was in particular concerned about potential availability/rarity/price issues with the Bosch battery. £350 for a 500hw at https://www.merlincycles.com/bosch-powerpack-500wh-rack-battery-303236.html seemed too good to miss.
That should keep it on the road for another 8 to 10 years. The tandem may have to get replaced soonish; the crossbar is getting more and more in the way as I get on.

Our non-electric Giant hybrid is 30 years old. Our 40+ year old son is still riding my 40+ year old Claud Butler, but that is another tiggers broom with hardly an original part left, just frame and forks.

Reactions: faulxthriftber96508

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm a little curious how long everyone's ebikes have been in use. Is an ebike an item that can be replaced for a long time?
I built my ebike 10 years ago and it's still giving good service. During that time, it's done about 10,000 miles. No battery has worn out, but I've done two replacements to evaluate newer ones with more capacity.

Any other ebike with a standard hub-motor and battery, should do the same and more. What you have to avoid is any bike with a unique battery, motor or any other critical component that might fail. If you have a look at the Mercedes Smart Bike, the people,who bought it won't seem so smart now that you can't get a battery for it and probably nothing else either.

Expensive bikes are a different story. They can be kept going, but you need deep pockets. Motors normally need attention after a few years. Some can be fixed by a very limited number of repairers, but it's going to be expensive. Any routine service can cost over £1000, and a battery can be anywhere between £500 and £1000 if you can get one.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Swizzbee is 2006 and still works.
I usually build my own bikes so the components all get reused as to the hubs and electric kits , I will get rid of the frame when I want to try another different one or the frame suffers damage.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Hafords for sure is reported to suggest its time for a new bike as soon as a warranty period expires on an ebike with an issue, or even just in need of a new battery.. And it seems to me the more you spend on an e-bike, the less likely it will have a longer than warranty life, but im looking in from the poor side of the plate glass window..

While a good battery when looked after should last a good few years of use it is the most expensive consumable part of an e-bike package. So Bikes that require specifically shaped batteries to fit the frame hole, or use 'sophisticated' closed communication protocols to verify the correct battery is used, are best avoided if you want to use more than the original battery imho.

I would suggest the best way to ensure your bike is future proof is to convert a suitable cycle with the best generic kit that meets your requirements, If your considering an ebike , post details of what you want or need from a bike and perhaps we could help point you in the right direction?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Our tandem is 12 years old, for half of that it has had a Woosh XF07 conversion.
Our Motus (Bosch drive) is 8 years old, we bought it when it was about 2.

No electric related costs in that time, until I recently replaced batteries on both. Neither completely dead, but clearly deteriorating. I was in particular concerned about potential availability/rarity/price issues with the Bosch battery. £350 for a 500hw at https://www.merlincycles.com/bosch-powerpack-500wh-rack-battery-303236.html seemed too good to miss.
That should keep it on the road for another 8 to 10 years. The tandem may have to get replaced soonish; the crossbar is getting more and more in the way as I get on.

Our non-electric Giant hybrid is 30 years old. Our 40+ year old son is still riding my 40+ year old Claud Butler, but that is another tiggers broom with hardly an original part left, just frame and forks.
did they post ur bomb or have to pick it up?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have to pick my bombs up from the nearest store but they will ship it in there company van straght past my house to a shop 30 fkn miles away :rolleyes:

only way to get it posted direct is to order it from magura but i cant do that becouse they dont deal with the public and i cant get a account :eek:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
i have to pick my bombs up from the nearest store but they will ship it in there company van straght past my house to a shop 30 fkn miles away :rolleyes:

only way to get it posted direct is to order it from magura but i cant do that becouse they dont deal with the public and i cant get a account :eek:
That's wasteful - can you prove you're Soundwave Surprise Novelty Dark Chocolate Fireworks™ Ltd?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you have to be a registered business ie a bike shop, ebike vison make 3rd party ones but they wont post bombs either.

they will send a pallet of them tho but again only if ur a bike shop i did ask ebike shop to buy them but said no because there not made buy bosch so said can i get one of ur bosch ebike dongles then :p

i did not get a reply :oops:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
you have to be a registered business ie a bike shop, ebike vison make 3rd party ones but they wont post bombs either.

they will send a pallet of them tho but again only if ur a bike shop i did ask ebike shop to buy them but said no because there not made buy bosch so said can i get one of ur bosch ebike dongles then :p

i did not get a reply :oops:
Do you have photoshop and a laser printer, and can you provide proof you're Soundwave's Usually Sound Bikes powered by Very Sudden and Shocking Anytime Surprise Novelty Black Chocolate Fireworks™ Ltd?

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
has to be registered on company's house but i could do it if a really wanted to but a can get it from peter for cost anyway with his account ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
has to be registered on company's house but i could do it if a really wanted to but a can get it from peter for cost anyway with his account ;)
Is that Peter from Performance Balls-r-Us™ ? My balls are doing ok, but I might need some extra for performance someday, if my business tanks and I end up on OnlyFans - I'll discuss it with my missus.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yep embn visit part 3 will be out soon ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Well im certainly enjoying mine.
Health was beginning to drop following an accident, and riding (30yr bike rider, canny drive) was beginning to become a chore and longer into town and back journeys were a struggle to say the least, especially as the return trip included a long uphill, which as every cyclist will confirm is always into a strong headwind.

Now its a lot easier, so nice to be able to keep going on 2 wheels on my Scott.

And cruise past the other city to home uphill strugglers ;)

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0146_04.JPG

it never gets old playing with the race bike nobs i just over take them on the pavement :eek: