£1000-£1300 Budget Which Bike?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I have a Wisper albeit almost 3 years old now, can't fault it. Looks a wee bit old fashioned but never lets me down. Battery is ace. Also they hold lots of parts even when newer models are on sale they look after you.

Would I buy another? If they looked more modern with integrated batteries wouldn't hesitate.
Thanks Crockers! We have something new and quite exciting for the new season with an integrated battery. It may suit you.

All the best, David

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

cyberdyne_systems

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
Surrey
That looks like a good value alternative, any issues at all?
Apart from the usual maintenance (just adjusted the front derailleur because of some minor chain drag). The only thing I don't like is when the forks top out (when I pull up on the bars) it's a bit metallic sounding, you don't notice it on normal riding over the bumps. I thought about changing them, but it's pretty minor to be fair, for a budget bike I'm overall happy with it.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Look forward to hearing more.......will it be hub or mid crank.
Not certain yet Crockers, we are testing a new light weight crank drive at the moment, but it's difficult to find anything that outperforms our Wisper Torque system.

All the best, David

• Informative

Stu33

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Hi Ed, so what did you opt for ?! i`m thinking of getting a CycloTricity Stealth 500w Dual Power Electric Bike myself

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I'm adding the Kudos Stealth to my shortlist
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/some-advance-info-on-the-latest-2016-kudos-models.24151/page-3#post-309434

Much prefer the look of bikes with integrated/semi-concealed batteries.
Ed....the new Kudos Stealth and Kudos Alamo are identical bikes excepting the colour scheme. I took some stick on this forum because I selected a cream colour scheme for the Alamo.
Amusingly the Alamo is outselling the Stealth....beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
The electric bike world in the UK has gone through fashion phases,initially we all wanted Dutch style step thrus,then it went mountain bike style with electrics,now the future seems to be Sports bike style with electrics stealthily added...hence the appeal of the semi concealed battery and skinny low rolling resistance tyres. It is amazing how different is the ride of the Stealth/Alamo when compared to say the Arriba/Tornado.
Hope that helps.
KudosDave

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi all

So my budget is £1k, but I'll stretch to £1300 if that gets me decent hydraulic discs and tyres that I won't immediately have to bin.

I haven't cycled for years and I want to get an e-bike to get myself back into it. It will be mainly used for commuting around South London, with the normal commute being 5 miles each way, but I expect to use it to get around London, on perhaps 30 mile round trips at the most.

What I'm looking for is reliability, reasonably decent quality parts, I'm not looking for anything cutting edge.

Where I've got to so far is;

Woosh Karoo
No suspension, but cheap and light, 13Ah (unknown voltage 36?) 19Kg

CycloTricity Stealth 500W Dual Power Electric Bike
I like the idea of having a 500W mode available, could be good fun, worry about its durability on daily commute. 324Wh/540Wh 23Kg

Oxygen S-CROSS CB Hybrid Electric Bike - 10.4Ah
Appears to be a nice package 375Wh/22Kg

Kudos Arriba Electric Bike
Looks competent, has a torque sensor which sounds like a good thing, and also hydraulic brakes, are Bafeng motors any good? 375Wh/22Kg

Wisper 929 Torque 29er Electric Bike
All quality components that I can expect to last? 375Wh/23Kg

Any more I should be considering!?
Hi Ed
It's important to know more about you - your height and fitness level and anything you feel is important to tell.
Coming up is the Cycle Show at the NEC, which will reveal many different bikes and give you the chance to try them all for size.
Our nearest retailer to you with stock is in Dartford, so I can't offer you a local test ride. But my advice is not to buy without a proper test ride. I'm hoping that Cycling Made Easy in Croydon will stock our Roller bike after they see it at the NEC, but without knowing your size and constraints it's impossible to know whether it will be a good match for you.
Good luck with your search!

Ed Cooper

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 3, 2016
London
Just to let anyone interested to know, I went with the Carrera-E from Halfords. It was mainly a cost driven decision as I could add my British Cycling Club membership, a promotional 20% discount and cash-back on my credit card together to get it for about £700.

I note it's now up at £1100, so pleased I got it when I did.

I've been commuting to work on the e-bike almost every day for the last month so really pleased.

Thanks all for your input.

Reactions: JimRides and damian