dean

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Dean, can you answer this for me, then perhaps I can help you?

I've got £30 and want to go out for a meal tonight. Which food should I go for? I'm not particularly hungry at the moment, but I do like to eat. Should I wait til later in the evening when I'll definitely be hungrier, or should I go as soon as I finish work? I'm quite over-weight. Should I forget it and go on a diet instead?

• Dislike
Reactions: EddiePJ

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Dean, can you answer this for me, then perhaps I can help you?

I've got £30 and want to go out for a meal tonight. Which food should I go for? I'm not particularly hungry at the moment, but I do like to eat. Should I wait til later in the evening when I'll definitely be hungrier, or should I go as soon as I finish work? I'm quite over-weight. Should I forget it and go on a diet instead?
Are you off the salad again? Go to the vegan restaurant - you know you should! :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Dean,

Rather than add a pointless sarcastic reply such as that of Dave, I would prefer to be more constructive in my reply, although a bit jumbled up and short, as I'm sadly pushed for time.

The 2.5k bracket can be quite a tricky one, that falls in a kind of no mans land in respect of spec. Also at that price bracket you would be looking at a crank drive system, rather than hub drive, and that might not necessarily be what could be considered best for your needs.

Perhaps you could expand upon or think about what you want from a bike, and where you intend to ride. This would open up options for people to advise you.

Are you just going to be riding on smooth off road surfaces, such as found on say somewhere like the South Downs, many bridleways, cycle tracks etc. Or are you intending to venturing into the realms of drops, jumps, and perhaps even riding up mountains. A hub drive system will perform brilliantly in the former, but could potentially struggle with the latter. I personally enjoy both systems, and both have their plus and minus points. Sadly Youtube channels such as the EMBN one don't show hub drives in a favourable light, and that is a real shame.

You also need to think about whether you would like full suspension, or just front suspension as in a hardtail. So much can be said about both options.

Wheel size and even tyre size factor into a purchase.

Have you also considered buying conversion kit and fitting it to an existing mountain bike. There are certainly reputable companies out there that can help with that option.

Are your health levels fairly good? A crank drive will flatter a healthy rider more than that of a rider that has health issues, who can't perhaps ride at a respectable cadence.

Other considerations are things such as envisaged ride length, which could dictate battery size, or whether you might even require a spare.

Then you have dealer location and support to think about as well.

I'll try to add more a little later, but hopefully it is enough to get you started.

Reactions: Kizza and Nev

scollopchomper

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 3, 2019
thanks for the replies.
i already have a cube acid mtb (2017) which ive taken to cannock a few times.
im not a racer although i do like speed.
i hired an emtb for 3 days recently while on holiday. it had the bosch performance motor with a 400 battery. flattened the hills nicely, made me giggle going up a hill i could never have got up.
the problem i have is ive read so much my head hurts.
if i dont act soon (either buying a new ebike or converting my existing one) i'll miss summer.
if im not careful i'll make a quick, probably bad decision and do the wrong thing.
the reason im asking what you guys would buy is because you all have the experience, including mistakes which i hope to avoid.
hope that expands a bit.
dean

scollopchomper

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 3, 2019
I nearly bought a 2018 haibike sduro hardseven 4.0. Got as far as checking out but hesitated. Don't know why.
I am for some reason more happier to get a bosch performance motor than a yamaha pw se.
Am I right in thinking the bosch is the better motor and also easier to derestrict?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
both can have a bad as dongle fitted so thats easy motors spec wise there pretty much the same.

just depends if you like the bosch over the yamaha motor but then it will be above budget or look at some cube fs bikes.