‘Quantum Leap’ in Battery Innovations Presented at Eurobike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My very own quantum leap, mounted yesterday. I am drawing peak 0.75C rather than 1.5C and voltage sag is 0.6 V rather than 5 V at peak Amps...

bfbattery.JPG

Cost 225.73€ for +16 Ah usable from 20 Ah. A quality Li-ion battery of the same capacity is >600€. OK you get a BMS instead of lipo alarms... :rolleyes:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Write to bmsbattery and ask for 3.65 V cutoff and 4.15 V charge max
Get bms with wrong cutoff values, send back
Repeat till they get it right
Solder lots of tiny, tiny wires

Or plug and ride. The new alarms do cut off at 3.65 volts rather than 3.6 or 3.7, I'll be having some more of those.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I'd rather have to fiddle with my battery once, rather than at every charge and every ride, but each to their own I guess.

EDIT: If I'm being totally truthful, I neither use a BMS nor lipo alarms, but still bulk charge and haven't balanced my packs in over six months. I'd never reconmend it for anyone who has to ask about what's involved though.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If they aren't out of balance you don't have to balance them, simples :)

I think that one lipo alarm on the weakest pack should be enough but as I am on the open road the more buzzers going of the better! What's that you said? Hard of hearing? :rolleyes:

If the battery was in a box on the bike a BMS would be an option But my batteries are going to be used as 10 Ah 37 V or 44.4 V in series or paralleled to 20 Ah 37 V depending on use and in different bags too.

My mind is just about made up on a 140€ charging solution: 2 x 300 W chargers, 1 x 450 W PC power supply (I already have another) and 1 x parallel charging board. I looked at the Mean Well power supplies, a couple of those and a couple more Battery Medics = about the same money (real Mean Well not cheap clones at $29.99). I am more comfortable with R/C balance chargers and taking an hour to put the 8.x Ah back into the 10 Ah packs.

With the XT60's breaking down 4 packs to charge is no real problem. When I received the Graphenes they had bullet connectors and they are just a problem waiting to happen!