10-mile commute with hills, fairly fit cyclist

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I have a Woosh Scirocco CDL. I bought it off eBay recently - my first electric bike. I've been using it on my commute to work and it's OK. I'm averaging 15mph over the route that includes some hills and well-surfaced cycle paths.

However, it is ponderous when starting, because it's a heavy lump, especially with my panniers to add to the not inconsiderable weight. This shows itself where I have to cross a busy A road and acceleration isn't there when I need it to be. There is also a bridlepath on the route and it doesn't really like it, not being designed for such stuff.

What I'd like is a bike that is lighter and can handle such terrain. I have a strict Cyclescheme budget of £1000. I enjoy putting in some effort myself, if that makes a difference.

I am 5' 10" and about 85Kg.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The bike has a throttle, opening that and pedalling hard from rest should give you good acceleration.

Or at least, as good as you will get from any remotely legal ebike.

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
I agree with STEVEMANFA, buy a conventional cycle that fits the terrain and then convert it if necessary. You will probably save at least 5 kg over the weight of a dedicated electric bike maybe more. If you are able to average 15 MPH on your Woosh you are obviously fit and just need a bit of assistance uphill to raise your average further. I doubt whether any legal e-bike will bring anything to the party.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Thanks for the replies. I'm not able to do anything to a bike I buy through Cyclescheme, unfortunately. Not at least until I've paid it off after at least a year.

What I'm after is something lighter than the 26Kg lump of the Scirocco, so I can be quicker off the mark. Even using the throttle there is a second or two's lag before I get any assistance. Not good when crossing a busy A road without traffic lights (thanks, Warwickshire County Council!).

On my other bikes, my input is instantly turned into speed, but then they are 13Kg lighter! And lower geared at the bottom end. I'm probably after the unobtainable, but thought I'd ask here.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the throttle is instantaneous on all the bikes.
Even faster than on bikes with torque sensor.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
The Woosh system does have a lag when you start to pedal. I don’t remember it being a couple of seconds though, more like half a full crank turn. I had one for a short while and found that fast getaways could be done using the throttle and pedalling. So if you have a lag with the throttle too there must be a problem with it.

Crossed with the above. Maybe a TS bike might suit you though, and some are quick off the mark with just a push on a pedal.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Well, I've stuck with the Woosh so far. It's done me fine on the 9.1-mile commute and I'm averaging ~15mph, including some fairly sharp hills. That's helped by the fact that the assist cut-off isn't until 18.5mph. In gear 6, the cadence is ideal for me, but 7 is used on flatter stretches.

It's still heftier than I'd like, but considering it cost me £320, plus £45 for better tyres, I can't complain.

I shall watch the Cycle to Work scheme threads with interest though.