Help! 1st E-Bike, need help choosing

Dan90

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 2, 2023
Hi all,

Wanting to buy an e-bike for the work commute, about 5 miles, lots of potholes, steep hills and a short trail through some woods.

Things that might help.
Budget up to £4000 but ideally less and looking to purchase through a Cycle to Work scheme. I'm 5"11 and about 75kgs.

I've looked at the E MOVEMENT THUNDER V4.2, MULTITRACKS X1B, YOIKOTO E-SUMMIT, SPECIALIZED Tero 3.0 2022, TREK Marlin +6 2024.

But as it's my first time looking into e-bikes I've no idea if these are junk or decent value for money. Then there's what's legal and not so legal.

Recently had a go on a friends e-bike, just a cheap one from Amazon but it was a lot of fun with the throttle, really liked that, are those legal? Cause I'd love to find something I can just crank the throttle on the hills and breeze up them.

I have a lot of research to do but thought I'd ask here to try get some thoughts, maybe save me a bit of time.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
I've done well over 1/2 million miles on motorbikes, riding in all weathers, sometimes very long distances, like 650 miles in a day. I used to do all the big winter rallies. I never sat in the driving seat of a car until I was near 30 years old. I can tell you that nothing comes close to a pair of wellies to keep your feet warm and dry. Also, if you want to keep the rest of you dry, one of those yellow pvc builders suits are difficult to beat. They don't cost much, but they need to be replaced every two years because the UV light eventually makes them brittle. They're still cheaper than anything you'd get in a motorbike shop in the long run.

here you can see them in action 900 miles from home during a 2 1/2 thousand mile trip. Note how dry my back is!
View attachment 54497
Sorry for the thread derailment.

Mate, those very are impressive numbers. I also rode a bike every day until I was 45 regardless of weather, I also wore wellies and cheap waterproofs when I was younger and commuting on low-powered bikes.

But you make no concessions to safer bike gear for riding powerful bikes?

While we're on a nostalgia trip, here's about the only pic I have of me next to one of my bikes (this will have been in the nineties). Notice I have upgraded to leatherjacket and gloves, stout boots and kevlar reinforced jeans. I was still a cheapskate even then, compared to what gear some people had.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
But you make no concessions to safer bike gear for riding powerful bikes?

While we're on a nostalgia trip, here's about the only pic I have of me next to one of my bikes (this will have been in the nineties). Notice I have upgraded to leatherjacket and gloves, stout boots and kevlar reinforced jeans. I was still a cheapskate even then, compared to what gear some people had.
You wear the yellow suit over your leathers, not instead of them.

You can get reinforced wellies with steel toecaps and heel-guards if you're worried about your feet. Obviously, they're not suitable for bicycles due to their weight

I love these memories of out motorcycling days. Here's my main bike for the nineties, I also had a BMW R100RT for touring at that time, but the clutch started slipping after 10,000 miles. I traded it for a K100RS, but I hated that. It was similar power and handling to my 1981 GS1000 Suzuki, but the screen made the ride extremely noisy and uncomfortable, so I didn't keep it long. Not long after that, I discovered Honda NTV650, which I had for around 20 years, now upgraded to Deauville 700.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Update.

David from Wisper reached out and sorted everything for me, he was great :D

Got my Tailwind Trail and had it out for a test ride, love it!

Thanks for the help everyone.
Thanks for your kind words Dan, you were a real pleasure to work with., thanks for your understanding regarding the pricing glitch. Incidentally, we love the Tailwind Trail too!

Wishing you many happy adventures.

All the best, David

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I haven't driven a Bugatti Veyron to know it would be no good for me wither and have ridden FRONT and REAR hubs and they are crap compared to my mid, so don't assume because you will always either be wrong or sound stupid assuming what others do without actual facts.

I said before here, you or someone come off road MTBing with me, I'll use my mid drive you chose front/rear and we will see.
Mid drive is certainly best for serious off roading. No doubt that you need to use the gears to help you up those ultra steep, rough inclines. However for more gentle off roading Hub and Mid are about the same and for a metaled road the hub in most cases is the better bet.

The better of the two is very much down to the individual rider, their needs and the terrain they wish to cover. Neither is better than the other, they are just different.

All the best, David

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Hey, So yes i'd recommend Thunder V4.2 from emovement because i have personally used it myself and i'm a fan. It's Only 1549£ and is extremely versatile. you should definitely get this if it's your first time.
On their site there is a lot of reviews and every single one is 4 star. That in itself is suspicious as with anything you buy there will be a range of reviews from 1 star to 4. So when you see everything then thats down to cherry picking.

TBH It's not the best example of an Ebike.

Last edited: