1st time e biker

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
Hi all I am new to the forum and thinking of getting myself a tern gsd s00. I am a 52 year old bus driver with a new 15mile round trip commute which will be mostly cycle paths with a few muddy sections. My previous commute was a 6mile round trip for which l used a dahon curve xl (old commute very flat, new one very hilly). Any owners out there who can give advice and opinions

Reactions: LeighPing

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Hi and welcome,Nice looking bike, I was a bus driver (Arriva) as well until 3 months ago (medical retirement) I have 2 ebikes and both are very capable in and around the Peak District 1 is a Wisper 905 and the other is a Carrera Crossfuse. While the Tern is an awesome looking bike could you not get a bike through a company ride to work scheme ?( presuming they have one) that way you will get it a discount price.

• Useful

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
Hi and welcome,Nice looking bike, I was a bus driver (Arriva) as well until 3 months ago (medical retirement) I have 2 ebikes and both are very capable in and around the Peak District 1 is a Wisper 905 and the other is a Carrera Crossfuse. While the Tern is an awesome looking bike could you not get a bike through a company ride to work scheme ?( presuming they have one) that way you will get it a discount price.
I
=
Hi Amoto65 our company cycle scheme is only up to the value of £1000 however, a good friend of mine works within the industry and can get me a sizable discount. The rest of the cost will be met by the sale of my car, which the tern will replace. This bike appeals to me for several reasons. 1. My wife and l can share the bike (multi adjustable ride position) 2. Low maintenance (enviolo hub) 3. I will be able to carry my 5year old little boy on the back when my older daughter and I go on cycle rides

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
Hi and welcome. :) Is this the bike in question?

Hi LeighPing, yes that's the one fab bikes only thing I don't like is the price even with the deal I am getting. This will however be a long term investment, and as it will replace a car the money I save should mean it pays for itself in 2-3years. Will be ordering with the clubhouse rear carrier, front rack, side kick pad and foot rails a proper 2 wheeled S. U. V

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Hi LeighPing, yes that's the one fab bikes only thing I don't like is the price even with the deal I am getting. This will however be a long term investment, and as it will replace a car the money I save should mean it pays for itself in 2-3years. Will be ordering with the clubhouse rear carrier, front rack, side kick pad and foot rails a proper 2 wheeled S. U. V
I like that bike. It has loads of great features such as 2 battery capacity and room for 2 people on it. Fair play to you, as a bus driver, doing all that daily exercise. :)

My Granddad was a bus driver. He was quite fit and died in his sleep. Not screaming and shouting like his passengers. :D

Just kidding there.. ;) Mind if I ask how much they cost?

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
I like that bike. It has loads of great features such as 2 battery capacity and room for 2 people on it. Fair play to you, as a bus driver, doing all that daily exercise. :)

My Granddad was a bus driver. He was quite fit and died in his sleep. Not screaming and shouting like his passengers. :D

Just kidding there.. ;) Mind if I ask how much they cost?
This is a big purchase, if I order the bike with the above spec it will be just under £5000. Just over with 2nd battery, which I am also considering (can't have to many wh. Right)

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
Wow! :oops: But then again, it is a cargo bike.. One battery should be fine for your mileage. :)
Yeah 1 battery would be fine but the good thing about having 2 is that the bike draws power from both together, at the same time. This means that if I have used 500wh of battery power, each battery would still have 250wh left. This means less chance of fully depleting them (longer service life).