2014 Bosch drive unit click

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
OK a question for those that are familiar with the mechanics of the Bosch motor, it might be trivial but.
I'm only 250 miles from new and today I've developed a click or tick sound, it's independent of the motor ( on or off it's still there)
It's on the down stroke of the left peddle and only audible only while peddling steady, when going for it hard it disappears, only to come back as I ease off. There's no free play in the crank arms and I'm sure it's not just a creaking crank.
I've been unable to reproduce the noise while stationary & standing on the peddles.
As I'm not familiar with the insides of the Bosch unit, I'm concerned is it might be the start of something that needs looking at, or should I just ignore it and carry ridding hoping it goes away.

Anyone familia with the new Bosch motors, I would welcome your advice.
Thanks in advance Carl

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is a known fault which is easily corrected by a Bosch unit dealer. This post refers to it. I don't know the exact details so perhaps a Bosch unit owner who knows of it will give you more information.

Don't worry though, there's nothing terminal going on.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Thanks for the reply flecc, I've had a look at the link with associated video & PDF. They appear to refer an earlier Bosch model to mine, is the fault the same on the newer models ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know if it's the same on the new unit Gringo, but either a visit to a Bosch unit e-bike dealer or a call to Martin at ebikeshop will be able to confirm if it is.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I hadn't been on my bike since Sunday, so this afternoon I thought I'd ride over to the cycle shop with my clicko_O
A combination of much wind & traffic noise meant for the first mile the click wasn't audible. Surprise surprise once I was riding on traffic free country lanes still no click, it's just gone away of its own accord. I can't go complaining about something that's not there :( So I just rode on to see if I could get it back ;) 40miles later still no click.
Fingers crossed it's gone for good:rolleyes:

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
My KTM (Bosch also) used to do a clicking noise on the turn of a pedal but not anything like the noise of the 'fault' that became associated with the motor.... Mine came and went.. I had thought it happened when it rained somehow as that was the only factor.. Oh, and when I oiled the chain... Only other factor was the middle bit the pedals go through the frame had a bolt on (spider thing.?).. That had come loose couple of times but that usually led to chain coming off or getting stuck.. I still do not know what my noise was.. But it went away eventually but whilst it lasted it was on and off and on and off.. And annoying!!

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Sure its not your knees? ;)
Regards
Martin
You know about my arthritis then ;) No not so much a click, more of a gravely crunch, my knees that is not the bike.
I stuck my knobblys on this afternoon and went out looking for mud. A good workout for the bike & my knees, the bikes still silent :cool:

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
My KTM (Bosch also) used to do a clicking noise on the turn of a pedal but not anything like the noise of the 'fault' that became associated with the motor.... Mine came and went.. I had thought it happened when it rained somehow as that was the only factor.. Oh, and when I oiled the chain... Only other factor was the middle bit the pedals go through the frame had a bolt on (spider thing.?).. That had come loose couple of times but that usually led to chain coming off or getting stuck.. I still do not know what my noise was.. But it went away eventually but whilst it lasted it was on and off and on and off.. And annoying!!
We greased the relevant parts of the Bosch motor which relates to what is often referred to popping noise when we had the bike in. Although I do appreciate they are annoying especially if you are not sure what the cause is. Normally reasonably easy to tell if you have the bike on a stand but harder if you are out riding though Bosch popping sound is normally easy to spot.

ammp206

Just Joined
Nov 28, 2014
My haibike developed the popping/clicking noise and having read on here that it was linked to a lubrication problem I set the cogs to whir in the brain box. As bosch take a dim view of owners tampering with the unit I decided to try warming the motor unit up in the hope that the lubricant inside would thin down and disperse to the parts where it was lacking.I set up a fan heater to blow on the chain ring side and buzzed off for a cup of coffee. I returned in about 45 mins and found the unit suitably warmed up.I set the bike up in the work stand and gave the pedals a whirl in the hope that it would shift the lubricant around.The next day I took the bike on a 15 mile run and hey presto no clicking.I'm not saying the heating idea cured the problem. It may just be coincidental and the problem righted itself but it worked for me. I have since done about 150 miles + and still no clicking so nothing lost. Give it a try but if you are using a powerfull heater make sure you don't overheat.The motor casing must not be too hot to hold.

Advertisers