40MPH at last!

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Well after changing dongle to a bikespeed rs, 20t front chainring, turbo mode, nice long flat road and a lot of pain i eventually hit 40.7mph, according to the bosch purion.

Bad news is i only managed it as a test for 3 seconds, and i bet my garmin says it was 1mph less.

Kind of pointless exercise really i know, but on a Haibike allmtn with 27.5 x 2.2 tyres, bad road conditions and finally me riding it, it was a bloody miracle. I now know what it can do, but unless i change it to a race bike and change motor i don't think it,or i could do anymore.

Back to cruising 15-20mph :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what is your avg speed tho over 1 mile ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i eventually hit 40.7mph, according to the bosch purion.
We've actually got a 50 mph club in pedelecs from long ago, anyone reaching that speed downhill is automatically a member. There's only a few who've done that, I think the best was 62 mph on a recumbent, 53 mph on an upright. My best was 49 mph on an Ezee Torq, so not quite enough.

Link 1

Link 2

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have got just over 50mph at the forest going down the back of the fire roads and that steep ass descent at the quarry with a massive fkn rock at the end.

i burnt out a rear disc brake and fooked my xd hub lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0290.JPG

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Easy enough to replace. How you getting on with the 6 bolt discs. I used to run hopes, but had a few issues with clearance, ended up filing some of brake attachment / calliper away. I'm a convert to centre fit discs now.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0293.JPG
hope 203mm front and back i dread replacing the brake pads tbh but next time will dremmel the mounts for better clearance.

just a right pita getting them to line up and clear the mounts but i managed to get it to work and not rub the disc in the caliper.

it is a bad idea to mix rotors and calipers tho i just got lucky ;)

Reactions: Steve A

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

just needs a jump at the end :)

Reactions: Steve A and Sarabee

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
I'm thinking hard about getting some hope brakes because in a few months i will getting a new trailer for carrying stuff "SurlyTed Trailer" in total the trailer can carry up to 300lbs in weight so i think the extra stopping power would come in useful for my needs.

Hope Tech 3 V4 are the ones i was thinking of buying in blue

The last thing i would want is barely stopping when i am carrying 300lbs worth of weight on my tail end

my forks can only handle 185mm rotors because i have checked the fork and it states that 185mm is the limit on the fork or i would of had 205mm rotors on my bike

Reactions: Sarabee

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I'm thinking hard about getting some hope brakes because in a few months i will getting a new trailer for carrying stuff "SurlyTed Trailer" in total the trailer can carry up to 300lbs in weight so i think the extra stopping power would come in useful for my needs.

Hope Tech 3 V4 are the ones i was thinking of buying in blue

The last thing i would want is barely stopping when i am carrying 300lbs worth of weight on my tail end

my forks can only handle 185mm rotors because i have checked the fork and it states that 185mm is the limit on the fork or i would of had 205mm rotors on my bike
Hope brakes / rotors are fine, but finding the shimano xt just as good.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Hope brakes / rotors are fine, but finding the shimano xt just as good.
At the moment i have Shimano Deore on they are ok i just don't think they would handle a fully loaded trailer carrying 300lb pounds of goods around stopping quickly if need too

Possibly the pads would wear down really quick if i did keep them on with carrying lots of weight i have noticed at the moment since towing a trailer around the pads do go down a lot more quicker then before i was using one.

At the moment my trailer will only carry about 56lbs when i do get my new trailer i would be able to carry 5 times the load so in theory that would be five times the wear on the pads

I don't think the deore would be up to the job providing me with that stopping power if needed too

I think the second piston would come in handy when needing to stop very quickly for when commuting down c roads where a blink of a eye you do need to stop because of a horse or a tractor or motorist the last thing i want really is not been able to stop well because i have a poor braking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have done 40 mph downhill on my old bike, this one has more air resistance so tops out at about 38. My on the flat speed with an unrestricted GSM and 17 Amp controller is 27 mph (45 km/h). Can't wait to get my bum in a trike seat I have the feeling I'll be in the over 50 club from day one... :D

I have been clocked at 40 mph on the flat on a road bike in my younger days.

Reactions: Steve A

Advertisers