Help! 48v e bike battery help

Thatsadz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2020

Thatsadz

Apr 29, 2020
Unfortunately it’s just dispatched so I’ll need to find a reasonable battery for it, is there any of those batteries running 10ah or slightly more? Figured it would be cheaper

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You'd do better with a legal 250w geared kit. (or a 350w Yose one, not technically legal but nobody will notice the difference).

If you can cancel the 1kw one I certainly would. Suitable for fast fairly level off-road riding and not much else.
Still needs to spend proper money on a battery even for speed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Sony VTC5 or the Sam 25R that Daniel linked to is about the cheapest you will get off the shelf that will do the job without failing after 6 - 12 months.

The cheap ebay ones you are looking at 10ah or so will be no good, despite what sellers claim they are only interested in making some money not how it will work on your cheap high power kit.
We get people like your self on here quite often and after trying to do it cheaply have to spend more money then they wanted to and get a lower powered geared hub. If you want out right speed 25 -30mph+ get a proper moped.

Thatsadz

Apr 29, 2020
The Sony VTC5 or the Sam 25R that Daniel linked to is about the cheapest you will get off the shelf that will do the job without failing after 6 - 12 months.

The cheap ebay ones you are looking at 10ah or so will be no good, despite what sellers claim they are only interested in making some money not how it will work on your cheap high power kit.
We get people like your self on here quite often and after trying to do it cheaply have to spend more money then they wanted to and get a lower powered geared hub. If you want out right speed 25 -30mph+ get a proper moped.
Okay thanks for your help I’ll have to think about it

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Okay thanks for your help I’ll have to think about it
Your issue is not why one of the cheap ebay 48v batteries aren't up to but finding one with the minimum 30a discharge required just to work without the voltage collapsing because of the current demand. Each motor has a different current demand and batteries also have different current discharge values all dependant on which cell rating is used.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The cheap 500w kit will probably also be an inefficient direct drive kit and share many of the downsides of the 1000w kit. You should be able to use it from a cheaper battery than you need for the 1000w kit, but it will still get give you very limited range, and probably be very poor at hill climbing. There's a reason those cheap kits are cheap. whoops ... I see this is too late anyway. Good luck finding a battery that works.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Unfortunately it’s just dispatched so I’ll need to find a reasonable battery for it, is there any of those batteries running 10ah or slightly more? Figured it would be cheaper
If it was marketed as located in the UK, you can cancel by letting them know you don't want it any longer and intend to get it back to them, and are entitled to a full refund when it gets back to them, including the shipping fee to get to you.

What might be worthwhile is if you find out what happens if you refuse delivery - will it be sent straight back to sender? That would save you time and hassle (and money...).

Honestly I have enough trouble with suitable motors that break, let alone having unsuitable ones cluttering up my life too, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Advertisers