70 plus years on me bike

PeterW

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 15, 2014
Hullo , just joined Pedelecs ( with help from Helen as I'm a bit of an amateur with computers ) But I am very impressed with the forums and all the knowledge on our favourite pastime . Yes , I am in my eighties and , weather permitting , manage 8 to 10 miles a day on my Giant Halfway folder . my favourite bike in the past was the " Curly Hetchins " But now quite happy to study Mother Nature as I plod along . So keep on pedalling folks and reclaim the highways and byways from the internal combustion engine . PeterW

Reactions: Richard T. Jensen

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
" Curly Hetchins " and H E Bates , and the Raleigh fork tops all part of amateur cycle racing in the 50's when even frame name advertising was not allowed . I saw a Hetchins trike with a front wheel e-motor a couple of weeks ago .
May you have fair weather and sunny days to study mother nature on your way ,,
BTW I have a 1951 Hobbs of Barbican Blue Riband road bike .
oh the memories of real handmade bikes .

regards emma

PeterW

Sep 15, 2014
Yes , Emma , I had a bike made to my spec in 1951 by F.C.Parke's in Swansea while serving in the RAF at St Athens , it lasted me for many enjoyable years . My pal used swan around on his Paris Galibier till the frame cracked !! Heady days indeed .

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
Another rave from the grave -- Paris .

I met Les Parker almost 30 years ago who was a Frame builder for Hobbs and he recognised the frame as one that he had built and gave me the replacement transfers for it., I bought it second hand from a Guy in Sussex who was one of the first to gone "under the hour " in a 25mile time trial .
I also had a Wally Green Road frame , I wonder how many more of these classics are out there .
I went to our local Tip and found a pair of Sprints and a 23" framed Hills Special had been dumped there , It must have sat in someone's shed for many years , the tubes still held air .
I know the operators and got it for a tenner , In the saddle bag I found a program for a 1959 track meeting at Preston Park in Brighton and a handful of fixed sprockets .:) ,
Now my everyday transport is the e-trike , There is nothing better than sitting comfortably with your feet up, arms beside you , cycling around town :cool: with 28 gears to smooth your way and a motor to get you home when you feel tired ;)

regards emma

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Wowee... That is very impressive. both learning to use the computer and the mileage you are doing every day. Welcome to the forum from Anglesey :)

PeterW

Sep 15, 2014
Thanks Wissy , but your poem is all Chinese writing and small wheels to me !!! I wish you a happy cycling life as I am having . PeterW. PS , I have given up the idea of purchasing an electric bike and have bought a Tern Swoop D7 instead as I figure it will be OK for a comfortable stroll for me .

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have given up the idea of purchasing an electric bike and have bought a Tern Swoop D7 instead as I figure it will be OK for a comfortable stroll for me .
Nice bike, although I'm not quite sure how it is an upgrade on your Giant.

PeterW

Sep 15, 2014
RobF , yes it is a bit different but my Halfway has had a long hard life as it is a 2002 model and ready for semi retirement . The carrying capacity of the Swoop is superior in that as well as having a good sized rear carrier , I have fitted the forward Kanga carrier to it . My friends have good storage facilities and my BikeE recumbent , Woosh Sundowner and Izip Currie drive are safely stowed there . Due to getting a bit on the slow side of life , I decided to be more sedate in my cycling ; hence the Swoop . Thanks for your interest , PeterW

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
. My friends have good storage facilities and my BikeE recumbent , Woosh Sundowner and Izip Currie drive are safely stowed there .
Peter,

You've confused me now, I didn't realise you already have ebikes.

I do get why you've replaced the Giant, it's done well for 12 or so years but I expect a refurb might not be cost effective.

Unpowered bikes are much simpler and more reliable, so the longer you can manage with one the better.

A lot of guys in their 80s cannot get across a room, so eight or 10 miles on a bike is a good effort.

And I bet you have some good adventures even in that short distance, one just does on a bike.

Chris Froome has mentioned several times how he views his cycling partly as reliving the marvellous times he had on a bike as a child in Kenya.