A big Hello to everyone...

KILLERDOG

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2021
Hi All, been reading on this site for a few weeks now, and even though i dont own a ebike ( yet ), i thought it was time that i joined up.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Hi All, been reading on this site for a few weeks now, and even though i dont own a ebike ( yet ), i thought it was time that i joined up.
Certainly sensible to join up well before making any decisions. Welcome.

The worst is the number of posters who go for a big direct drive system (cheap and apparently powerful), and them come here much too late for advice on how to make it work sensibly.

KILLERDOG

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2021
Well im about to buy a bike but im really stuck on what to buy. I understand the uk bike laws but i personally feel that 15.5mph is too slow. I am a motorcyclist, but im not fit anymore and i really want to get out, meet people and enjoy push bikes again. I dont want to spend a fortune but would like a bike that will help me get fitter, i also have angina and a few other health issues. I have been looking at the OXYGEN bike range and the Halfords Carrera Crossfire E. Just a toss up between them really. I think iwill make a post and ask peoples advice. Thankyou for the warm welcome,. much appreciated :)

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
Well im about to buy a bike but im really stuck on what to buy. I understand the uk bike laws but i personally feel that 15.5mph is too slow. I am a motorcyclist, but im not fit anymore and i really want to get out, meet people and enjoy push bikes again. I dont want to spend a fortune but would like a bike that will help me get fitter, i also have angina and a few other health issues. I have been looking at the OXYGEN bike range and the Halfords Carrera Crossfire E. Just a toss up between them really. I think iwill make a post and ask peoples advice. Thankyou for the warm welcome,. much appreciated :)
Remember, it is pedal assist up to 15.5MPH. After that you are using your own power to propel the bike and you can go as fast as you want. The bike will not propel you on its own.

I started cycling two years ago with a standard UK eBike. Had a break last year, because Covid messed me up. Started cycling again this year in February along with a low carb diet and since then have lost over four and a half stone.

I find that I generally use PAS levels 1 and 2 mainly, sometimes 3 on a steep hill, but never use 4, the bike just takes off. It will certainly help with your health to make you a bit fitter and believe me over 15.5MPH can feel really feel fast on a bike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony1951

KILLERDOG

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2021
Thanks for the heads up. Dare i ask what bikes you ride. I think its now a toss up between the CrossFire E and the Whoosh Gran Camino.... :) Many thx for the replys and help.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have had a dongle on my bike since 2014 i fly past plod going 30mph and dont even think about it anymore they just dont care unless you kill someone.

i have ran over 3 ppl that would not move out the way and had no complaints, one guy even punched me in the face but had on my carbon fibre dh splat hat on :p

KILLERDOG

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2021
I think 20 mph on a biek is more than fast enough, but i want distance, maybe a little thumb throttle too. Thats basically my needs... :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0082_02.JPG

on a 500w batt i can get 25-30 miles in turbo mode and around 50 if i dont hammer it inc hills well 48 is the furthest i have been on a normal bike ride with 1 bar left.

my orginal batt is still working but down on range as it is getting on now age wise.

KILLERDOG

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2021
Thats one sweet ride you have. I think its out of my price range though, looking to spend about £1500 ish

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
few years ago you could have got a cube hard tail mtb for 1200 with a bosch motor but over the years it is now double that and stock is low on all low end 2k ebikes.

its 700 quid more that you want to spend but is a much better bike overall with a mid drive motor esp for off road and looks way better and hold a better 2nd hand price.

the down side is you cant recell those power tube batts and a new one is £700 so double the price of a non branded batt but they do last as they wont use crappy cells. but still a rip off!

those mavic wheels cost £1000 and my cf crank arms and peddles cost £500.