Help! A Bit Of Advise Please

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I have a E-Plus Mantra electric bike which suits my age and needs now. Just a minor issue I'm having when riding which I think I may have mentioned in an earlier post? When going around corners and roundabouts etc., the rear end feels a little unstable. My initial thoughts were the tyre pressures, but I've inflated these to around 40psi now. Maybe it could also be the tyre size/design itself? These are only 1.50 x 20 so not particularly robust in my opinion.

I'm quite a big guy at around 15 stone so was thinking maybe increasing the tyre size to something more substantial if I can. Some time ago I tried some BMX tyres, but these wouldn't rotate once fitted due to their profile and fouling the mudguards. I could of course remove the mudguards if need be? Anyone had a similar issue and maybe have any recommendations?

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I have a E-Plus Mantra electric bike which suits my age and needs now. Just a minor issue I'm having when riding which I think I may have mentioned in an earlier post? When going around corners and roundabouts etc., the rear end feels a little unstable.
What make and model are the tyres? are they of a round profile, or do they have a 'shoulder' ?

And have you double checked the rear wheel/axle is firmly attached and doesn't need tightening up?

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
I went from 1.5 to 1.75 Marathon Plus, and it's a much better ride, more comfortable when going overpotholes. To reduce wrist pain further, I would have to go with Big Bens, but only after changing mudguards, which are the limiting factor.

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I'm 19st, Fiido D11 folding e-bike, 20"x1.75" tyres, 50psi, ordinary Schwalbe Marathon (Green Guard), mudguards fitted. Rock solid whatever you do.

Is there still decent tread? Compound too hard and slippy?

IIRC from your previous posts, you felt the steering was a bit twitchy on corners, as many small-wheeled folders with shortened handlebars can do. Wider handlebars are more likely to help.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
What make and model are the tyres? are they of a round profile, or do they have a 'shoulder' ?

And have you double checked the rear wheel/axle is firmly attached and doesn't need tightening up?

The wheel is firmly attached and tightened accordingly. I've even checked the spokes to see if any are loose.

Here are some photo's of the current tyres. Hope this answers your question

Attachments

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
T
I went from 1.5 to 1.75 Marathon Plus, and it's a much better ride, more comfortable when going overpotholes. To reduce wrist pain further, I would have to go with Big Bens, but only after changing mudguards, which are the limiting factor.
Thank you for that information. The mudguards are certainly a contributing factor but can be removed if the worst comes to the worst. Thanks for the info

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I'm 19st, Fiido D11 folding e-bike, 20"x1.75" tyres, 50psi, ordinary Schwalbe Marathon (Green Guard), mudguards fitted. Rock solid whatever you do.

Is there still decent tread? Compound too hard and slippy?

IIRC from your previous posts, you felt the steering was a bit twitchy on corners, as many small-wheeled folders with shortened handlebars can do. Wider handlebars are more likely to help.
Yes there is plenty of tread as the tyres have had very little use. You're quite correct about my previous posts. I just hadn't used the bike over the winter period and whilst having the battery re-celled. I may consider wider handlebars as well, but its the rear that seems unstable at the moment. Think I'll look at the tyre set up first? I have posted pics of the current tyres.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
What mudguards did you change to please?

I still use 1.75 inch Marathon Plus, but if I were to get 2.125 inch Big Ben Plus, I would probably have to get these:

It might be worth checking with your local bike shop to see what width tyres, are safe to use for your rims.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Here are a couple of charts - measure your rims:

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I agree with GLJoe, that tread pattern reminds me of the Avon Speedmaster I had on a motorcycle years ago. Fine on straight roads, tread lasts forever, but extremely buttock clenching on corners when you fell off the edge of the tread. A quick Google and I can't believe they still make them :eek:A rounder profile tyre will certainly improve your ride.
https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/avon-sm-mkii

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Evening peeps. Further to my previous posts, and your very kind responses, I have decided to fit some 20 x 1.95 BMX tyres to my electric bike. But to do so, I had to remove the factory fitted mudguards due to their profile, extra width and knobbly tread pattern. These may not be the choice of tyre for some of you, but they work like a charm now and are much more stable when cornering. A great improvement overall!

Now I have another problem. The mudguards. I cannot use the stock items and I don't think the Bluemels ones will fit as they are very similar to the existing ones? I really need something slightly flatter in design. I have been trawling the internet but cannot find anything that may do the job. Does anyone know of anything that may suit this? I was possibly thinking of some mountain bike mudguards maybe?

Just an addendum. I've been trawling the internet and think I may have found what I need! I believe I can use SKS Bluemels 53mm x 20 inch mudguards? The extra width (I'm assuming 53mm refers to this?) may just be enough to prevent the tyres touching? Providing they will fit between the forks of course? Anyone able to advise before I risk purchasing??

Last edited:

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I still use 1.75 inch Marathon Plus, but if I were to get 2.125 inch Big Ben Plus, I would probably have to get these:

It might be worth checking with your local bike shop to see what width tyres, are safe to use for your rims.
Just an update. I purchased some Bluemels SPB 20" x 53mm mudguards but they're exactly the same as the originals and don't fit. They're supposed to be wider but they are the same width. If anyone is considering using these then my advice is don't. Unless you're sure they will fit.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thanks for that information. The ones I purchased were supposed to be 53mm wide but weren't. I've been thinking of putting some SKS Rowdy kids bike mudguards on?
The 60mm version link was originally posted above by I893469365902345609348566. You'd have to check to see if you have enough room for 60mm wide mudguards.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I wanted wiser guards on my cotic rear, I fitted wider tyres but a guard wouldn't fit. I had to notch out the guard both sides to fit around the stays,

Reactions: guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Just an update. I purchased some Bluemels SPB 20" x 53mm mudguards but they're exactly the same as the originals and don't fit. They're supposed to be wider but they are the same width. If anyone is considering using these then my advice is don't. Unless you're sure they will fit.
I linked 60mm wide mudguards, not 53mm - to be honest, I'm struggling to understand why you ordered 53mm wide mudguards. Which tyres did you change to?