A random thread for things too unimportant for their own thread...

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
YAY, my weekends are free again!

The lad that bought my KTM hardtail a few months back, contacted me shortly after to say that he had run out of room, and needed somewhere to store the bike, so could I make him a simple shed.

Things kind of spiralled, and I have been spending most of my weekends not riding my bike as I should have been, but making this for him. The only aspect that I didn't do was groundwork. I simply didn't have the time to do it. The worst job was cutting the rebate for the glass, and fitting it. With each pain weighing 100kg and limited access, I have to admit that it wasn't a job that I enjoyed. It was a big relief for me when they were in though.

Not a bad bike shed come home gym! :)

As for my weekends being free again, that isn't quite true. I have a new hobby, so have had to swap my working week around, to fit in my new hobby. Just as it should be. :)

After all that is said and done, I have decided to flog my house, store the bike outside and move in instead.
This is raw talent and skill mate.

MS.

• :D
Reactions: EddiePJ

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Today I have done some minor fettling.

On the Orbit, I started off by checking the alignment of the yellow markers on the Alfine hub, as I suspected misalignment. But no, perfectly aligned. That meant it was a combination of a dodgy chain tensioner & a chain two links too long. I removed the links and replaced the tensioner. I had intended to fit a new one, but the bolt I ordered was too small, so I cannibalised the two old tensioners I had to make a good one. The bolt to fit on the hanger would not align to screw in when on the tensioner, but it would on its own. Eventually I ended up screwing it home, but misthreaded. Somewhere down the line that will need rethreading. Anyway, it went in with brute force applied and the chain is now shorter and better aligned. Monday will tell me if that cures the jumps on the drive train.

On the Oxygen, I replaced the rear gear cable that snapped last week. I expected it to be a pig of a job in the cold, but it was a piece of cake. Finding how to fit the cable into the shifter is usually a PITA, but in this case it was simple. I reused the cable outers, but they could do with replacing and/or lubricating. A quick test ride and the gears selected OK, but it was a bit sticky. It now sits charging.

I resisted the urge to fit winter tyres to the machines. If I do, it'll be the Orbit first, as the Marathon + tyres don't like the cold and damp & neither do I like the lack of grip!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It's keeping people guessing! :)
I suspect that there is going to be both laughter and disappointment that it wasn't something more interesting than it actually is. Having said that the scenery can be quiet nice.

I've always had an interest in keeping fit, and whilst at my regular yoga class a few weeks ago, there was some really loud techno music coming from the dance studio down the corridor. Both classes finished at the same time, and out from the dance studio came a group of girls/woman, giggling and laughing, and wearing boots that I had never seen before. As you do, I popped along for a chat, and I ended up thinking that I would have some of that, the boots that is, not the girls, and ever since I have been doing Kangoo Jumps twice a week.
The only reason that I have to juggle my week around, is because one of the sessions is during the day. The class is way out of my comfort zone on so many levels, but being an exercise, I just can't get enough of it. To the extent that I definitely want to take/make more than just a hobby from it. I've spent years on and off in a gym, but this for my requirements, is easily the most the most enjoyable and fun workout yet, and certainly the one that has made me sweat. Beside me having next to no coordination and timing, I can't think of anything negative to say about it. :D

My first goal, is to complete this dance set.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
@Paul smith wins - well almost, 21st century Morris dancing anyway ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I suspect that there is going to be both laughter and disappointment that it wasn't something more interesting than it actually is. Having said that the scenery can be quiet nice.

I've always had an interest in keeping fit, and whilst at my regular yoga class a few weeks ago, there was some really loud techno music coming from the dance studio down the corridor. Both classes finished at the same time, and out from the dance studio came a group of girls/woman, giggling and laughing, and wearing boots that I had never seen before. As you do, I popped along for a chat, and I ended up thinking that I would have some of that, the boots that is, not the girls, and ever since I have been doing Kangoo Jumps twice a week.
The only reason that I have to juggle my week around, is because one of the sessions is during the day. The class is way out of my comfort zone on so many levels, but being an exercise, I just can't get enough of it. To the extent that I definitely want to take/make more than just a hobby from it. I've spent years on and off in a gym, but this for my requirements, is easily the most the most enjoyable and fun workout yet, and certainly the one that has made me sweat. Beside me having next to no coordination and timing, I can't think of anything negative to say about it. :D

get some real ones and go do a course ;)

Reactions: LeighPing

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex

Fit SPD clips to your Kanga boots and go for a ride! Would love to see that.

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
I'll see if this kicks off a thread for minor things that might interest people...

My post is about today's ride in to work.

1) It was bloomin' cold! I was a bit worried that the paths might be frosty, but no.
2) My rear derailleur gear cable snapped, meaning I jumped into top gear! Luckily, the front derailleur still works and helped. And it was 3/4 of the way into work.
3) I rode over a bump that normally wouldn't have been an issue, except today my rear pannier decided to jump off the rack onto the road. Luckily, it fell into the gutter rather than get run over.

I'm hoping the ride home is less eventful.
it is bloody cold. not objectively, but subjectively. I am convinced my brain's core temperature is at least 2C below normal. It would explain the sluggish hollow echoed sense/sound of everything. I'm going for a run and sauna after work. cycling to the supermarket afterwards on a beat up old non electric mezzo will feel the only vaguely sentient bit of the day.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
it is bloody cold. not objectively, but subjectively. I am convinced my brain's core temperature is at least 2C below normal. It would explain the sluggish hollow echoed sense/sound of everything. I'm going for a run and sauna after work. cycling to the supermarket afterwards on a beat up old non electric mezzo will feel the only vaguely sentient bit of the day.
You need to aim a little higher Steb...sounds rather cold...

Just back from day at sea out of Moraira, not much wind but very warm (24 degrees in sun) and nice swell running. 3 trainees, one a complete beginner..all did well and passed relevant RYA levels...then back for lunch ...Mixed salad, Salmon ; chips and veg...chocolate tart..Glass of wine...and a coffee..10 euro each..£9.20 at current exchange rate...Fab day...especially considering 3 weeks ago laid up in hospital after 3 micro strokes..
Must remember to stretch myself more..
Enjoy the cold Steb.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
^ :)

My wife has been ill and in hospital until last Wednesday. As a result, I have been running round like a blue-arsed fly doing school runs and taxiing duties of an evening. She's recovering slowly, but it's a slow process.

What irks me is the morning commute. How can people do that same moronic journey day in, day out? What a pointless waste of the planet's resources. I'm no fan of driving, and that is really underlined when I turn a corner and see a half-mile long queue of cars moving slower than the pedestrians walking along the same road. I assume it's the same people in the same tin boxes doing the same thing every single day.

I still have three days of that torture left, then I can get back in the saddle.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
^ :)

My wife has been ill and in hospital until last Wednesday. As a result, I have been running round like a blue-arsed fly doing school runs and taxiing duties of an evening. She's recovering slowly, but it's a slow process.

What irks me is the morning commute. How can people do that same moronic journey day in, day out? What a pointless waste of the planet's resources. I'm no fan of driving, and that is really underlined when I turn a corner and see a half-mile long queue of cars moving slower than the pedestrians walking along the same road. I assume it's the same people in the same tin boxes doing the same thing every single day.

I still have three days of that torture left, then I can get back in the saddle.
Seriously, there seem to be lot of things broken in this country and people are only slowly becoming aware of it.
What the future holds I don't know, but I fear.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Often there's no option, some have company cars that they have to have available during the day. I was in that position myelf for many years, forced to commute by car in London.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
In the 90's I was installing stairlifts for a living. One morning I was heading (slowly) up the M42 to Nottingham when I saw a van for a rival company heading (slowly) for Birmingham. I had an epiphany - saw the absolute craziness of it all - I quit, became self employed and moved to Wales. Now it can take me as much as 15 minutes to get 10 miles:p. When I hear the traffic reports on radio 2 I laugh, 'cos I've been stuck at most of the places they mention.
By the way, don't move to Wales, it's backward, wet, the nearest set of traffic lights is 20 miles away and there's no motorways:eek: and I love it, 'cos most of the population's elsewhere.:D

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
In the 90's I was installing stairlifts for a living. One morning I was heading (slowly) up the M42 to Nottingham when I saw a van for a rival company heading (slowly) for Birmingham. I had an epiphany - saw the absolute craziness of it all - I quit, became self employed and moved to Wales. Now it can take me as much as 15 minutes to get 10 miles:p. When I hear the traffic reports on radio 2 I laugh, 'cos I've been stuck at most of the places they mention.
By the way, don't move to Wales, it's backward, wet, the nearest set of traffic lights is 20 miles away and there's no motorways:eek: and I love it, 'cos most of the population's elsewhere.:D
Don't believe him!!!
Wales is absolutely awful, all the roads are always jammed up with slow moving tractors, the scenery is mostly black coal tips, nobody speaks English and it rarely stops raining.
Mobile phones don't have any coverage, some places it is difficult to get TV.
You wouldn't like it here at all.

Reactions: oyster and flecc

Advertisers