A random thread for things too unimportant for their own thread...

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I'll see if this kicks off a thread for minor things that might interest people...

My post is about today's ride in to work.

1) It was bloomin' cold! I was a bit worried that the paths might be frosty, but no.
2) My rear derailleur gear cable snapped, meaning I jumped into top gear! Luckily, the front derailleur still works and helped. And it was 3/4 of the way into work.
3) I rode over a bump that normally wouldn't have been an issue, except today my rear pannier decided to jump off the rack onto the road. Luckily, it fell into the gutter rather than get run over.

I'm hoping the ride home is less eventful.

• Agree
Reactions: atheo and LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

[QUOTE="Warwick, post: 409802, member: 14227"
2) My rear derailleur gear cable snapped, meaning I jumped into top gear! Luckily, the front derailleur still works and helped. And it was 3/4 of the way into work.
[/QUOTE]
My rear gear cable broke once. It's so rare that I ever use the other chainwheels that I forgot that I had them, so I struggled for 20 miles in top gear until I remembered half-way up the final climb to my house. I could have kicked myself - doh!

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Given up wearing a watch, always clouting it at work!

Maybe I will take to wearing a waistcoat and a Hunter style watch?
Depends.. What is it that you do? Gamekeeper? :D

I've got one sat in a drawer. It was a presentation gift from over 20 years back. It's nice but it'll never be worn. I'm not even sure that it works. I'll check it properly at some point. More sentimental than anything else of course. Just bad memories..

DSC01610.JPG DSC01612 blanked out.jpg

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I woke this morning just before my alarm (5:15 am) I drove to work In my warm car and all the traffic lights were green. I spent two hrs working before it was time for a big clean in readiness for a site visit, another two hrs and we have a very clean and tidy workshop (looks more like a laboratory now);) unable to get on with my job for fear of making a mess so I had a early long lunch before the visitors. At 12 o'clock we are told there not coming after all and the lunch that was prepared for them is now a help yourself buffet :cool:
Finished work at 2 pm and stoped off for a swim & jacusi on the way home, the pool was near enough empty & I get on well with the two people in the jacusi :)
A good start to my weekend :p

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I woke this morning just before my alarm (5:15 am) I drove to work In my warm car and all the traffic lights were green. I spent two hrs working before it was time for a big clean in readiness for a site visit, another two hrs and we have a very clean and tidy workshop (looks more like a laboratory now);) unable to get on with my job for fear of making a mess so I had a early long lunch before the visitors. At 12 o'clock we are told there not coming after all and the lunch that was prepared for them is now a help yourself buffet :cool:
Finished work at 2 pm and stoped off for a swim & jacusi on the way home, the pool was near enough empty & I get on well with the two people in the jacusi :)
A good start to my weekend :p
Sounds like your on a promise there?

I envy your job ,even if you don't say what it is you do?

• Useful
Reactions: Warwick

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Depends.. What is it that you do? Gamekeeper? :D

I've got one sat in a drawer. It was a presentation gift from over 20 years back. It's nice but it'll never be worn. I'm not even sure that it works. I'll check it properly at some point. More sentimental than anything else of course. Just bad memories..

View attachment 22159 View attachment 22160

No, I am a machine minder for Royal Mail, sequencing mail in delivery order on the night shift.

Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I did a recycling run on Wednesday. The road to the recycling centre is like corrugated iron in spots and the vibrations loosened a QR on the trailer and I lost a wheel! Took me a while to find it in the long grass. The people who passed while I was looking had a good chuckle.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I envy your job ,even if you don't say what it is you do?
Well you kinda asked ;)
OK so here's the thing, it at the very pointed end of obscure !
I put new illumination fibres in surgical ridged endoscops* & then laser weld them back together using a 0.3mm filler rod, to see this I'm looking through a 50 X magnification lens.

All this sound very clinical and for the most part it is but unfortunately the scopes are glued, soft soldered, hard soldered & welded together and require a blowtorch, files, a lathe and solvent to get them apart.
A good part of my day is burning the #### out each scope to get it apart, there's toxic smoke/fumes, soot, red hot burn't glue and microscopic bits of glass fibre that are like splinters in your fingers but you can't see them with the naked eye.

*ridged endoscops consist of an optical system in a tube within a tube, in the gap between the tubes are the illumination fibres. The smallest scope I repair has a 1mm optical system inside a 1.2mm tube inside a 1.9mm tube. Typical using tubes with a 0.1mm wall thickness.

. image.png

PS: this is not my chosen career path, I just fell in to it after starting life as a toolmaker, carpenter, stained glass artist, sewer repair man and mechanical technician.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
YAY, my weekends are free again!

The lad that bought my KTM hardtail a few months back, contacted me shortly after to say that he had run out of room, and needed somewhere to store the bike, so could I make him a simple shed.

Things kind of spiralled, and I have been spending most of my weekends not riding my bike as I should have been, but making this for him. The only aspect that I didn't do was groundwork. I simply didn't have the time to do it. The worst job was cutting the rebate for the glass, and fitting it. With each pain weighing 100kg and limited access, I have to admit that it wasn't a job that I enjoyed. It was a big relief for me when they were in though.

Not a bad bike shed come home gym! :)

As for my weekends being free again, that isn't quite true. I have a new hobby, so have had to swap my working week around, to fit in my new hobby. Just as it should be. :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
YAY, my weekends are free again!

The lad that bought my KTM hardtail a few months back, contacted me shortly after to say that he had run out of room, and needed somewhere to store the bike, so could I make him a simple shed.

Things kind of spiralled, and I have been spending most of my weekends not riding my bike as I should have been, but making this for him. The only aspect that I didn't do was groundwork. I simply didn't have the time to do it. The worst job was cutting the rebate for the glass, and fitting it. With each pain weighing 100kg and limited access, I have to admit that it wasn't a job that I enjoyed. It was a big relief for me when they were in though.

Not a bad bike shed come home gym! :)

As for my weekends being free again, that isn't quite true. I have a new hobby, so have had to swap my working week around, to fit in my new hobby. Just as it should be. :)

You do fabulous work! And the new hobby???

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny

Advertisers