A story of two Kathmandus

helentdavies

Pedelecer
May 17, 2021
I bought a Cube kathmandu Pro 625 Trapeze version in October last year from Wheelbase in Ilkley, in the 50 fame size. I loved it straight away. The power from the battery was amazing, helping me up hills so that nothing fazed me anymore. The Bosch motor is so smooth and the torque just right. There was absolutely no drag when pedalling without the motor engaged. I changed the saddle to match my bum, I added the Quad Lok Out Front phone mount to the handlebars and a small spy mirror. However happy I was with the bike whilst on the move, I found it a little awkward mounting and dismounting. When I eventually fell off and broke my ankle whilst doing a little bit of off roading, I decided I would look out for a step through version. I prefer the look of the trapeze but needs must. Trouble was I couldn't find one anywhere locally. I searched everywhere within 50 miles or so but no joy. As I was scouring the internet, I found a small 500 battery version at Rutland Cycles. I was a bit dubious about buying online but the company got good reviews and had won awards. So I rang up and ordered it. It came within a few days and all I had to do was fit the pedals, straighten the handlebars and tighten the stem. All seemed well, but I could not tighten the stem enough. So a trip to Wheelbase and the brilliant guys there tightened it as well as they could but there was still play in it. To cut a very long story short I eventually got a new stem from Rutland which the guys from Wheelbase fitted. Then the brakes were making a noise and weren't aligned properly, then the chain kept coming off - the derailleur needed adjusting - then I found a washer thing at the bottom the the headset was broken. The plug that goes in where the charger goes is crap and keeps coming loose. Other than that its great!!!!! My local bike shop have been brilliant . The moral of this story is NEVER BUY A BIKE ONLINE!

Gary_Taylor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2019
Hi Helen,
Thanks for sharing you experiences with the Kathmandu, it's the bike I've had my eye on, seems to have really good spec for it's price.
Did you find much loss of range when changing to the 500 battery?

helentdavies

Pedelecer
May 17, 2021
Hi Helen,
Thanks for sharing you experiences with the Kathmandu, it's the bike I've had my eye on, seems to have really good spec for it's price.
Did you find much loss of range when changing to the 500 battery?
Hi Gary, yes I did just as egroover said. I did 34mls yesterday though and still had 3 bars left. But it would depend how much you use the battery. Would certainly recommend the bike though, its just a problem getting your hands on one at the moment.