A.V.E. 'TOUR'. Faulty PAS sensor?

littleredflower

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 1, 2021
Hi. I'm not overly experienced with e-bikes and need a little reassurance.

The display seems fine and the input module, to the left communicates with the display as it should.

When I press the TURBO button the motor runs up to between 6 and 7km/h. However, when the pedals are turned the PAS does no kick in?

I have cleaned the PAS sensor and it is set 2-3mm from the magnet ring which is secure and does not slip. Am I correct in assuming that the PAS sensor needs replacing... or are there other possibilities?

Thanks in anticipation.
VK4545045451

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Try moving the sensor or magnet disc closer together, a 1mm gap is an optimum gap so see if that will work.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Does the sensor wiring end with a block type connector or water proof type ?
If the former then one can use a meter to determine if a fault may lie within.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can try a new sensor by willy nilly replacing it to see if a new one works, what ever one does the wire connector needs to be exposed any way to swap it out and to confirm the connector type used.

littleredflower

Aug 1, 2021
... of course. I'll start trying to do that but the cables at the display end are all of one cable, except the brake sensor and the cable from the input module as I've called it.

Reactions: RogerA

littleredflower

Aug 1, 2021
Ahhh!
I've exposed the cables:45461The red purple and black in the first pic come from rear hub (part no has no internet presence). I think it's a torque sensor. There is continuity on all cables from these two devices to the display (original 12 block connector). They do not go back to the BMS (original 8 block connector)45462. Perhaps it is time to check the cadence sensor? First I'll remove the torque sensor for visual inspection?

littleredflower

Aug 1, 2021
I tried to test the PAS sensor for continuity by using a meter and passing a magnet very close to the sensor but no continuity. Can anyone tell me if that is a valid test?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The PAS is cadence sensor it can't have a torque sensor as well.
With the PAS, check that you get 5v between Red and Black using the 20v scale, then Green to Black one should see up to 1v as a magnet is passed by the sensor.

littleredflower

Aug 1, 2021
Thanks again for your help Nealh. I have 4.9 on red to black and 3.64 on green to black, dropping to 3.54 with magnet pass.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks like the Hall sensor may be faulty usually one sees a lower value when the magnets pass the sensor and the value difference between Gnd & Signal doesn't differ by much at all.

Last edited: